Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intermitting 24 hour fasting page 2

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    A review of some of the research on fasting for women: Paleo for Women | Shattering the Myth of Fasting for Women: A Review of Female-Specific Responses to Fasting in the Literature

My understanding is that while it can work for some women, it definitely doesn't work for all women and you need to have good insulin control (from regular, balanced eating) before you start.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    It depends on you!

Sometimes when I really want to cut calories a lot it ends up working better to have just one meal. It's easier too.

But like I said, it really depends on the situation. When I am working I prefer to eat 2 meals per day instead. It's just more comfortable that way.

Also realize that regardless of frequency, it's total calories per day that counts. So even with just one big meal you still need to eat foods that are lower in calories. Go for leaner meats and quit cooking with oil.

ReclaimtheApex is offline Junior Member
    When I got into intermittent fasting I went with Brad Pilon's Eat, Stop, Eat. Basically 1-2 twenty-four hour fasts a week while still eating primal. I was 195# and went down to 168# within 3 months. I maintained my muscle mass and got pretty lean and muscular. Fasting, increasing saturated fat intake, and not doing Crossfit helped the most. Lifting heavy and doing gymnastics did the trick for me. I should be walking more though....

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ReclaimtheApex View Post
    When I got into intermittent fasting I went with Brad Pilon's Eat, Stop, Eat. Basically 1-2 twenty-four hour fasts a week while still eating primal. I was 195# and went down to 168# within 3 months. I maintained my muscle mass and got pretty lean and muscular. Fasting, increasing saturated fat intake, and not doing Crossfit helped the most. Lifting heavy and doing gymnastics did the trick for me. I should be walking more though....
    Just to be clear, as I understand it, Brad Pilon does NOT eat a primal diet. He's just all about the fasting. Which is wonderful either way, though for me, a primal diet makes a fast easier.

ReclaimtheApex is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Just to be clear, as I understand it, Brad Pilon does NOT eat a primal diet. He's just all about the fasting. Which is wonderful either way, though for me, a primal diet makes a fast easier.
    Of course. Sorry, I should have included that he does not do primal.

Caveman_Sam is offline Member
    It depends upon how much body fat you have.

If you have enough body fat to burn 100% fat on the day you fast then yes. Why? Because there's a limit on the energy transfer of fat - around 290kJ per kg of fat (or 31 Cal per lb of fat). Do you know your maintenance and body fat percentage? If you know these we can help work it out.

However, you may enter negative nitrogen balance (where you don't have enough protein) which could lead to some damage to your muscle.

Otherwise, if you're quite lean already the answer is no because you're likely to draw upon your muscle for energy.

melanj3 is offline Junior Member
    I'm around 22-23% which makes me extremely uncomfortable. I used to be a vegan for over 3 years and while I maintained my comfortable body weight, I slowly noticed after a couple of years that I started bingeing. Possibly became nutrient deficient somewhere along the path. I started feeling extremely fatigue and always hungry, this is what led me to Primal. However for some reason I can't break the binge cycle and I'm gaining weight faster and faster and I'm the heaviest I've been in 4 years. Somehow I need to get this under control so I thought that I would go for 24hr IF but I could listen to my body after 16hr if I'm struggling. I know several people that have had huge success IF and they look fantastic. I just want to get this weight under/hunger/binge cycle under control, be at MY HEALTHY HAPPY weight and living a PRIMAL lifestyle because it's easy to maintain

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating enough fat? It sounds like at this point you are battling a mental issue. Have you allowed yourself at least 1 month to eat nutrient rich, high fat food to replenish your deficiencies? Doing so can help reset your body and knock out some of the cravings. Primal does not take away the need for self-control though. You still have to stop eating when full.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melanj3 View Post
    I'm around 22-23% which makes me extremely uncomfortable. I used to be a vegan for over 3 years and while I maintained my comfortable body weight, I slowly noticed after a couple of years that I started bingeing. Possibly became nutrient deficient somewhere along the path. I started feeling extremely fatigue and always hungry, this is what led me to Primal. However for some reason I can't break the binge cycle and I'm gaining weight faster and faster and I'm the heaviest I've been in 4 years. Somehow I need to get this under control so I thought that I would go for 24hr IF but I could listen to my body after 16hr if I'm struggling. I know several people that have had huge success IF and they look fantastic. I just want to get this weight under/hunger/binge cycle under control, be at MY HEALTHY HAPPY weight and living a PRIMAL lifestyle because it's easy to maintain
    In such a case, 24 hour fasting cant work for you. You can't rely on the fasting if you're only going to binge.

Instead, look at the foods you are eating. Go for foods high in satisfaction and low in calories. The idea is to walk away from the table feeling stuffed even though it wasn't that many calories. Once you have that mastered, a 24 hour fast will seem like a walk in the park because you won't be hungry.

Nursenat999 is offline Junior Member

These are the timings and processes your body goes through it helped me :)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast