Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D: Rubbing oil on skin instead of orally? page

Zelli88 is offline Senior Member

Vitamin D: Rubbing oil on skin instead of orally?

Primal Fuel
    Everyone keeps mentioning that it's much better to absorb vitamin D from the sun through the skin, and they recommend not taking large doses orally. So, why not just buy a Vitamin D oil supplement and rub it onto your skin and avoid washing it for a bit? Has anyone tried this or have any thoughts on it?

-Ryan

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    It takes a lot of skin and a lot of sun to get your optimum dosage of Vit D. It is formed in the skin by UV-B rays acting on cholesterol to form Vit D3. There are several forms of Vit D - the cheap kind is made by the action of exposing plant sterols to ultraviolet radiation, resulting in Vit D2. D3 is an animal-based vitamin, which makes it better for animals right there. But it requires further processing in the liver and then kidneys to become available to the body.
    If sunlight intensity is low, I fail to see how rubbing even a few capsules of Vit D3 on the skin (greasy?) would become an advantage over swallowing one or 2 capsules of D3 orally and digesting it. If digestion is at fault, correct it first. People living in northern temperate zones have to store enough VitD through sun exposure to get them through most of the winter. Most do not and cannot. Therefore, it is simple insurance to swallow a couple 5000 unit capsules a day for your health.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    The reason Vitamin D3 is best acquired through sunlight exposure is because of the complexity of all the metabolites it creates in your body.

Some studies are finding out that the metabolites created by sun exposure (which then turn into Vit D3) have specific roles in things like the immune system. Vitamin D3 does not offer these metabolites.

Can't remember where I read this.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Living in Canada sucks. I'd love to be out in the sunshine all year 'round, but it ain't happening.

I fully intend on hitting up a tanning bed during the winter, 1 - 2x a week. Keeps me from getting so damn pale, and keeps the vit D going
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Zelli88 is offline Senior Member
    I understand that the sun produces Vit D, and that this process may be extremely complicated. I also understand the benefits of taking it orally, but I just thought that maybe you could run the oil onto your skin to somewhat mimic the process of attaining Vit D by sunlight.

Perhaps it was a dumb theory or idea, but I thought I would at least ask what you guys had to say or opinions.

Thanks for the feedback so far though.

-Ryan

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Pat. I hear you. Start work before the sun comes out, work indoors all day, leave when the sun has already set.... Good thing I only work 2 day shifts / week! At least I can get a bit of sun the other 5 days
    Last edited by Metric; 10-28-2012 at 09:01 PM.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    You don't absorb vitamin D from the sun. You create vitamin D in your body from sunlight. Additionally your skin is meant to act as a barrier to most compounds, so vitamin D on your skin would most likely be absorbed poorly.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    Pat. I hear you. Start work before the sun comes out, work indoors all day, leave when the sun has already set.... Good thing I only work 2 day shifts / week! At least I can get a bit of sun the other 5 days
    Jennifer, I cry for you.

You live in OTTAWA...SNOW HELL MUCH?!

*SOBS*

I work retail, so my hours are all over the place. I feel you, girl. I feel you.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    What AMonkey said..... there are transdermal medicines, and they usually are in patch form or covered in plastic. For Vitamins or other compounds to be absorbed would require long exposure periods and to do that best would require some sort of cover... so if you like Saran Wrap.......... Vitamin D could be your friend! lol

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I've tried this before---rubbing D oil on my skin. Dont know that it helped or hurt---but I'm always up for an experiment!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast