Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fafalla's Whole 30 in November page

Farfalla is offline Senior Member

Fafalla's Whole 30 in November

Primal Fuel
    My life has been rather turbulent lately - in a good way, but I am afraid I've lost my focus as far as nutrition is concerned. After shedding about 100 pounds, I am still 20-30 pounds away from my target weight, but it won't be possible with the way I have been eating lately - although most of my food is home-made and unprocessed, I've been eating way too much fruit (also dried) and nuts (occasionally with a spoon of honey) between meals, rice way too often, too much chocolate (and not always the approved dark variety), some junk sweets as well. While this perhaps still falls within 80/20, I need to aim for 95/5, otherwise my weight is bound to creep up again. I feel I need to calm down and concentrate on proper eating. Past experience suggests that it will be easier with a support group. I realize it will be difficult to find buddies this time of the year because many of you want to enjoy Halloween and Thanksgiving delicacies, but surely I can't be the only person here worried about her expanding waistline?!

My objectives for November:
    - no snacking (this rule alone will probably take care of 90% of my problems )
    - reduce fruit consumption; no dried fruit whatsoever
    - no honey except in cooking if I really want to try a recipe that requires a moderate quantity thereof
    - no nuts
    - rice/potatoes as an exception only
    - a cup of broth every day or almost
    - no junk, obviously
    - dairy: only (clarified) butter and parmesan; other kinds of cheese only if needed for cooking (e.g. cheddar); no yoghurt
    - restore work and life balance (meaning that my laptop will be switched off by 7 p.m. except in case of emergencies)
    - weight loss: no specific number but I'd like to break the plateau I hit several months ago

Day 1:
    breakfast - wasn't hungry, just one endive
    lunch - Moroccan Chicken Casserole Recipe | Mark's Daily Apple (but without cauliflower), awesome as usual; plus a bowl of leafy greens with olive oil
    dinner - a small portion of salmon tartar with lime, mustard and arugula

Work and life balance - epic fail because I have an urgent project to finish.

Movement: just 20 minutes to the supermarket and back. Tomorrow will be better.

Day 2
    Incredibly, I felt satiated until the evening.
    breakfast - nothing
    lunch - just a piece of chicken skin (fried) because my husband would have discarded it
    dinner - meat and squash stew, leafy greens with olive oil

Work and life balance - almost no work at all; I had an "errand day"

Movement: quite a bit of walking

Day 3
    breakfast: nothing
    lunch: 1/2 bell pepper (I wasn't very hungry, and I knew we would have an early dinner in a restaurant)
    dinner: about 8 small courses shared with other 3 people; some of the options weren't compatible with my eating plan so I skipped them

Work and life balance: just about 1 hour of work

Movement: once again, quite a bit of walking

Day 4 (today)
    breakfast - sauerkraut soup
    lunch - sauerkarut soup
    dinner - if I am hungry, I may have some leftovers (meat and squash stew) with leafy greens

Work and life balance: I will need to spend about 3-4 hours working, but I am determined to switch my laptop off before 7 p.m.

Movement: a walk of around 1 hour

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Hi...too late to join you? My downfall has been too many carbs then giving into my after dinner snacking crave and buying organic corn chips which led to popcorn. I need a buddy to help me get back on track. I know the holidays are coming up but there is no reason I can't stay primal throughout them. And I need to start moving and playing. The playing is hardest for me as I just don't have a great social life. Its hard as an adult to figure out a way to build one
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

No, of course it is not too late. Welcome!

I am actually surprised about how disciplined I am. I had guests over the weekend, and plenty of opportunities to cheat, of course. But I didn't. I even have my preferred chocolate truffles in the kitchen, and I am not tempted to eat them. After just a couple of days, I already feel that my trousers are a bit looser. My ambition is to withstand until the end of the year (yes, including Christmas).

As regards playing, I am not very succesful either. I play a lot when I visit my parents and spend time with their dog, but it's not every day... I might start playing Scrabble with my husband on a daily basis. As if I needed another sedentary activity.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    I work with kids so I do play with them. Maybe I should have a shift in attitude on that And I move a fair amount at work but of course not enough.

My goals:
    Move more
    Reduce carbs (again!)
    No more after dinner snacking (I will allow myself dark choc and a little bit of cream cheese)
    Moar fat and a little less protein.
    Bone broth everyday
    very limited nuts (only pecans and only a little on a salad)
    BAS for lunch
    IF

Thanks for starting!
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    Bone broth everyday
    Thank you for reminding me that this was one of my objectives, too. I have a lot of broth in my freezer, but I haven't had a cup since I started, although I had a lot of sauerkraut soup, which contained broth as well.

Update for yesterday:
    Day 4
    dinner - if I am hungry, I may have some leftovers (meat and squash stew) with leafy greens

This was the plan. I didn't feel like eating the squash, so I finished the sauerkraut soup (yes, I had three portions thereof yesterday) that I had made for my guests. Yesterday was not a particularly low-carb day because the soup contained potatoes. But at least there's none left now, and I can watch my carbs again.

I feel rather tired after the weekend (granted, I had a lot of exercise). Although I slept 8 hours (7 are usually enough for me), I didn't wake up rested, and I keep yawning. Carb withdrawal, perhaps? In the last week of October, I had quite a bit of chocolate (blush).

Day 5
    breakfast - just a bit of squash stew (no meat left) because I wasn't very hungry
    lunch - a roasted chicken thigh with a bit of roasted carrot and garlic, endive, leafy greens with olive oil
    dinner - two eggs with bacon

Movement: about one hour of walking

Work and life balance: I hope to switch off my laptop no later than 8:30. I would have managed 7 p.m. but I had an appointment during my normal working hours.

fooddreamer is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Farfalla View Post
    I feel I need to calm down and concentrate on proper eating. Past experience suggests that it will be easier with a support group. I realize it will be difficult to find buddies this time of the year because many of you want to enjoy Halloween and Thanksgiving delicacies, but surely I can't be the only person here worried about her expanding waistline?!
    Agreed! I'm doing the Whole30 this November as well (along with a sugar detox - not even fruit) and it's nice to know I'm not alone. Great to have you & valmason01! I just started a blog to document my journey: Pensive Paleo

Let's keep in touch, and good luck!

Welcome. I checked your blog. Tracking mood and sleep is a good idea - I am going to follow your example from now on.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast