Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conventinal Thinking page

ez2cy is offline Senior Member

Conventinal Thinking

Primal Fuel
    I'm 2/3's the way thru the book Primal. Haven't come across it or it's just gone over my head. I think it's a book that needs more than a couple of read thru's to fully understand it.

I'm really going with the PB and created a journal. To help track things I eat, do etc I found a site that tells you your calories in, fat, Chol, Sod, Crb, Fib etc etc. It also tells you what "it" believes to be over and under in all categories. Is this out of whack? I mean what main stream thinks we should have?

site; Login - Everyday Health

Yesterday for example, the site says by my weight height age??? I should eat 2000 cal/day to stay where I am.

Ok, I consumed 1, 103 cal, so I had a deficit of 897 calories.

What I found interesting was, my fat I was 3.71 grams over, my Cholesterol was 296 over, carbs I was 222 UNDER, and protein 7 grams under. Now, granted I only had 28 carbs but it's saying I should have 250? According to what I read 250 grams of carbs a day is into what Mark calls the danger zone to gain weight.

I believe what the book is telling me. Just wondering if people find that the general public is this badly mislead? Seems wild to me.
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    Just wondering if people find that the general public is this badly mislead? Seems wild to me.
    That is the general consensus. Basically, if you took everything the government, media and your doctor has told you for the last 30 years and turned it completely upside down, you'd pretty much have the Primal Blueprint.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Asmodeuskraemer is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah, totally misled. I took some coconut oil up to my boyfriends grandparents a couple weekends ago to cook with (because his whole family is the hydrogenated oil spread people) and he grandma was all "COCONUT OIL! Its so high fat!" well, yes, it is, but then I don't have to eat for like 8 hours (a huge difference for me when I used to get hungry every 2-4) and I told her its full of antioxidants and vitamins. I'm not actually sure if it is, but whatever gets her off my back.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Hu..
    High fat ?
    Hydrogenated oil spread is high fat too.
    Actually it's pure fat...
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Mislead....
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

otzi Guest
    Glad to see you are reading the book and asking good questions. You will find the government's one-size-fits-all approach to health and weightloss does not work at all. There is so much more than a magical macro ratio and calories. Hormones and metabolic rates differ wildly from person to person. However, there's not a person in the world who wouldn't benefit greatly from complete abstinence from refined sugar, industrially processed oils, and refined grains (and of course tobacco).

Get those out of your life completely, then find out what works for you. Start a good exercise program that you can keep up with for the rest of your life, learn to eat only when truly hungry, get really good sleep in the pitch dark, and get the stress out of your life. After that, play arouund with what's left and you will get the body and health of your dreams! Good luck.

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    I found the book extremely confusing. I might give it a second read, it still find that eating all this meat and fat is deadly for the body.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
    I found the book extremely confusing. I might give it a second read, it still find that eating all this meat and fat is deadly for the body.
    How do you still find that? are you dying? more pain? gut aggravation?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    BG is our resident peanut-butter-and-jelly-sandwich-eating troll who regularly pretends he just doesn't understand the primal blueprint.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Caveman_Sam is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Most are badly mislead by those seeking to profit from them.

That said, this quote is also interesting.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (1788 – 1860)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast