Thread: Weird olive oil ? page

RAlex is offline Junior Member

Weird olive oil ?

Hello.

I've bought a 3l can olive oil from a factory in Greece. I've listened to the guy talking about the whole process it goes through,no chemicals are added, all organic stuff etc, pretty interesting stuff.

Back home, I've almost never tasted olive oil because most of it here seems fake so I'm not really used to its taste.

The one I bought has a pretty taste, well, it tastes of true olives but my curiosity is the following: the after taste IS REALLY SPICY. This is not mentioned on the can. I tried to take a "big sip" and it kinda made me cough.

Is it normal? Is it maybe because of the olives variety? Or maybe it's already gone bad or something? It expires in may 2013 hmm.

I'm sorry if this sounds retarded. I'd appreciate some feedback on this. Thanks.

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    I've never had spicy olive oil unless peppers have been added to the mix!

Rancidity you taste kind of with the sides and back of your tongue. It should taste kind of bitter or sour, not spicy! It should also make you want to involuntarily vomit as well. Spicy doesn't usually connote this.

Why are you taking big sips of olive oil?

RAlex is offline Junior Member
    Nope, olive oil is the only ingredient listed.

In this case, to try it out.

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasue624 View Post
    I've never had spicy olive oil unless peppers have been added to the mix!

Rancidity you taste kind of with the sides and back of your tongue. It should taste kind of bitter or sour, not spicy! It should also make you want to involuntarily vomit as well. Spicy doesn't usually connote this.

Why are you taking big sips of olive oil?
    Most real olive oil should leave a slight burning sensation in the throat. Taking sips is how yout taste it, sorta like wine tasting.

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Good quality olive oil can taste pretty spicy, and I've found this to be especially true of the Greek varieties.

steve.mull is offline Member
    Mark had a post about this in the blog not too long ago. From what I remember, the oil you tasted is most likely really good

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a good one to me. Funnily enough I was just looking up local oils and came across this from the Vancouver Sun, which says it can be very peppery Olive oils, how to judge quality | Vancouver Sun

katiethepiano is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RAlex View Post
    Hello.

I've bought a 3l can olive oil from a factory in Greece. I've listened to the guy talking about the whole process it goes through,no chemicals are added, all organic stuff etc, pretty interesting stuff.

Back home, I've almost never tasted olive oil because most of it here seems fake so I'm not really used to its taste.

The one I bought has a pretty taste, well, it tastes of true olives but my curiosity is the following: the after taste IS REALLY SPICY. This is not mentioned on the can. I tried to take a "big sip" and it kinda made me cough.

Is it normal? Is it maybe because of the olives variety? Or maybe it's already gone bad or something? It expires in may 2013 hmm.

I'm sorry if this sounds retarded. I'd appreciate some feedback on this. Thanks.
    It's definitely real olive oil, and real GOOD olive oil. Marinate some mushrooms in that stuff! You have liquid gold, my friend!
    Visit my blog Primal Homeskillet. And eat it too.

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Real, fresh extra virgin olive oil usually is slightly "spicy" - depending on olive variety, soils, harvesting, processing and all sorts of things.
    Why Does My Olive Oil Taste Peppery? in News & Opinion on The Food Channel®

I have been at tastings where they have oil so strong that it almost burned my throat - not a great experience if you have it on its own but certainly beautiful in salads and with veg.

johnmjoy is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Good olive oils can have a shocking range of flavor characteristics. I like to keep on hand a spicy, a grassy, and a fruity, each having its own best use.

I'm out of it now, but not too long ago, I had a French oil that was so fruity it almost tasted like bananas. While you wouldn't want to put it with everything, it was damned good in my mango and habanero salsa.