Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with specifically targeting stomach fat page

LaxCoach is offline Junior Member

Need help with specifically targeting stomach fat

Shop Now
    Hey guys, I'm a 30 year old male, who has been primal since January - with a few relapses here and there, I've successfully cut down from 225 to "technically" no longer being overweight at 177 (I'm 6'0"). I realize I still have a lot of work to do, but I need some help. Despite the loss, I have a ton of extra weight in my stomach and chest, and it's definitely fat and not extra skin. Does anyone know of ways to really target that? I really think I'm starting to finally look good everywhere else.

Appreciate the help in advance! Paleo/Primal has been a lifesaver - literally- my doctor was on the verge of putting me on meds...

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    One way is to try implementing intermittent fasting. I would give yourself an eating window; stop eating at 8pm, don't eat the next day until at least 12. When you're comfortable, you can start doing longer fasts. This is a great way to increase fat oxidation in the body, especially in that stubborn belly fat.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Hawk is offline Junior Member
    Eat more fat. Eat less meat. Almost NO carbs.(I eat 20) Get into a state of ketosis and stay there till that fat is gone. High intensity interval training seems to target belly fat. I have pictures on here to prove it.
    Start weight 182
    weight now 162
    goal weight 132

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Stomach fat is a nightmare to lose, and it is not possible to specifically spot reduce. I was skinny fat and I had a little bit of a belly. I lost it by doing low carbs, high protein, and a lot of cardio. And yes, I lost weight everywhere, but the belly fat is slowest to go.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I mean it's really, technically, not possible to spot-reduce fat (but I'm sure you already know that).

People always ask me this question, because my weight loss has come basically 80% off my stomach/back, and only 20% of my legs/arms/elsewhere. Photos here.

I think it depends somewhat on the order you gained your weight in (I gained my tummy last, so makes sense for it to leave first?) and genetics, of course.

Other things to consider:
    -Fructose. If you're primal, fructose will already be really minimised in your diet, but some links any way:
    “A new small study may answer that: 15 people got just glucose, and 17 people got just fructose for 25% of their calories for 10 weeks. Naturally, both groups gained weight.
    But the people getting fructose had more belly fat, less insulin sensitivity, higher blood sugars, higher insulin levels, more oxidized cholesterol.”
    The Truth About Fructose and Belly Fat > Dr John La Puma's Blog
    Nutrition & Metabolism | Full text | Fructose, insulin resistance, and metabolic dyslipidemia

-Insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome:
    Those with metabolic syndrome are said to store more fat around their middles, the "apple" shapes. Interestingly, as I mentioned I gained my belly more recently than my other fat (I gained about 16kg between 2010-2011, almost exclusively on my belly/back/around my midsection), and I was also then diagnosed with PCOS... which is caused by insulin resistance and is also all tied up with metabolic syndrome and whatnot. Worth reading a bit more on as well, perhaps?
    Nutrition & Metabolism | Full text | Fructose, insulin resistance, and metabolic dyslipidemia
    Abdominal obesity and metabolic syndrome. [Nature. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI
    Abdominal Obesity and the Metabolic Syndrome: Contribution to Global Cardiometabolic Risk

Always best to arm yourself with as much info as possible eh?
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaxCoach View Post
    Does anyone know of ways to really target that?
    NoCanDo. Fat will basically come off from all over. I've got exactly the same problem and have to accept that I've got a way to go yet. I have started more prolonged bouts of exercise in the hope that by increasing shoulder oriented muscle bulk it will result in my excess belly skin/blubber being pulled more upwards and taught.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    I haven't seen that it's impossible to spot reduce fat. Fat is stored in areas where there is little muscle activation. People with bad posture who walk duck footed get inner knee pudge, for example. Many women get back pudge near the bra band from slumping and not really using their lats. You should be able to do some exercises that target the abs. I agree that the abdomen typically is the last hold-out area with diet alone.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Understood View Post
    I haven't seen that it's impossible to spot reduce fat. Fat is stored in areas where there is little muscle activation. People with bad posture who walk duck footed get inner knee pudge, for example. Many women get back pudge near the bra band from slumping and not really using their lats. You should be able to do some exercises that target the abs. I agree that the abdomen typically is the last hold-out area with diet alone.
    I've seen rows and rows of fat people, years after year, doing 500-1000 sit-ups a day at my gym. They're still fat, and those 6-packs are nowhere in sight.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I've seen rows and rows of fat people, years after year, doing 500-1000 sit-ups a day at my gym. They're still fat, and those 6-packs are nowhere in sight.
    I didn't say you could eradicate ALL your fat with exercise, LOL, but you can spot REDUCE.

LaxCoach is offline Junior Member
    Thank you so much for the suggestions. As I said, I know I have a lot of work to do, but trying more IF sounds like a good idea. I generally IF once a week with good results - I'll have to expand on that. I guess I'll have to hit the crunches and other ab work harder.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open to listening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast