Thread: I plan on a 3-4 day fast... page

Loneketo is offline Senior Member

I plan on a 3-4 day fast...

Primal Fuel
    I'm planning on a 3 to 4 days fast soon... I was wondering what could get me into deeper detoxing to get as much as possible out of the fast? Like the last few meals before.

I was thinking something like:

Breakfast:

3-5 apples
    3 or more kiwi fruits
    Cup of spinach
    50 mg Zinc Gluconate(antioxidant)

Lunch:
    3 apples
    2 kiwi fruits
    Cup of spinach

Dinner:
    2 apples
    2 pears
    Kiwi fruits
    Cup or two of spinach
    50mg Zinc Gluconate

I will be sick of the apples, but I'm in it for that pectin phytonutrients(and I don't have a great variety of fruits) to help clean my colon. Also want pears to help clean me out and kiwi fruits for their craploads of Vitamin C, and also The zinc for obvious reasons.

For the sake of arguement:

I don't care about:
    Protein, I want as little as possible to not slow my digestive system.
    Muscle loss, if there is any
    Weight loss
    A
    I care about:
    Detoxification
    So anything I can add to help with detoxification? I don't know if I'll have what you suggest but anything conventional or at least some what conventionally found in an average household.

Other questions I have:

Will bananas help? Or will they slow my system because of their texture?
    Since I will mostly likely will not be doing anything except nothing for 3 days, will the little to no stress speed up detoxification?
    And if you can point me to any link that can also assist me that would be greatly appreciated.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Dude, sugar & oxalic acid does not make a detox go any better in my experience with therapeutic fasting, which began in the 1980s when I was in college.

How much fasting have you done in the recent past? How many successful 18, 24 & 48 hour fasts have you done? I generally do 42-50 hour fasts once a week, but I'm not new to this sort of stuff. With only breakfasts & dinners the other 5 days of the week, no lunchs (generally) & little to no snacking.

I recommend that you fast on lots of healthy fats & lay off the listed examples of sugary fruits & spinach the day before. Like loads of avocados, minimally salted olives, some celery sticks, cukes, liberal amounts of fresh fermented foods like kimchi & sauerkraut, kombucha etc.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    You haven't said what kind of fast you are doing. Is this a water-only fast? A freshly-juiced produce / broth fast? There is a difference between them.

I am a veteran of a couple of 10-day lemon-juice fasts, some inadvertent short ones, like the 18-hour ones, just because life got in the way of food here and there, and regular 24-hour ones because the church I belonged to for most of my life fasted for 24 hours once a month all year round.

Yeah, a low stress level helps. If you have never done a fast before, being under stress is no way to see how you react to a fast, and I mean that psychologically as well as physically.

And for detox, one fast definitely isn't going to be enough. You will need to make this a lifestyle feature. So think of this as an initiation.

Warmbear is online now Senior Member
    Frankly with all that sugar loading up front, your fast is going to be a misery. As for detoxing and cleansing the colon, I dont know anything about that but it seems to me rather unnecessary as the body can clean itself out pretty well. If I fast after a carb heavy day man is it hard. fasting after a fat heavy day and it just flows by.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I'd say one or two days of eating VLC is in order to ease your body's transition into the fat burning mechanism that it will be forced to use and not have it expecting carbs when you're giving it none.

By the way, for the first two days or so, you can get away with absolutely no nutrients (even by supplementation) and I'd recommend it to increase the results you get from autophagy. By day three you might be feeling a little out of whack from low electrolyte levels however, and I'd recommend you get some just to help regulate fluid levels and muscle function. Continue to drink water during the fast (obviously) and a little caffeine can be added in to enhance fat loss. Just be aware that caffeine is more readily and efficiently absorbed on an empty stomach, so you don't need as much as when you are consuming it alongside a meal, keep that in mind.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Why are you fasting? Weight loss? Health in general? Unless you're trying to lose a lot of weight, I don't really see the point in doing a fast that long. Detoxing is not a good reason, our bodies have livers and kidneys for a reason, and they are marvelously efficient at what they do if one eats a good balanced diet, or he'll, even a crappy one. If you've never done a fast for that long before, it's probably going to be pretty hellish. Why not start with 1-2 days and then work your way up?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    First, list what toxins you are trying to eliminate. If you can do that, then you can start considering methods for chelation or other degradation methods. If you cannot list any specific toxin you are trying to eliminate, take a step back and ask yourself what you're doing. A given fast may or may not aid in the elimination of any given toxin.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Loneketo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Why are you fasting? Weight loss? Health in general? Unless you're trying to lose a lot of weight, I don't really see the point in doing a fast that long. Detoxing is not a good reason, our bodies have livers and kidneys for a reason, and they are marvelously efficient at what they do if one eats a good balanced diet, or he'll, even a crappy one. If you've never done a fast for that long before, it's probably going to be pretty hellish. Why not start with 1-2 days and then work your way up?
    Health in general an detoxification. Sorry I forgot to mention I did many fasts of 1 or 2 days before.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    Frankly with all that sugar loading up front, your fast is going to be a misery. As for detoxing and cleansing the colon, I dont know anything about that but it seems to me rather unnecessary as the body can clean itself out pretty well. If I fast after a carb heavy day man is it hard. fasting after a fat heavy day and it just flows by.
    Thanks, I'll lay off most sugars then.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    You haven't said what kind of fast you are doing. Is this a water-only fast? A freshly-juiced produce / broth fast? There is a difference between them.

I am a veteran of a couple of 10-day lemon-juice fasts, some inadvertent short ones, like the 18-hour ones, just because life got in the way of food here and there, and regular 24-hour ones because the church I belonged to for most of my life fasted for 24 hours once a month all year round.

Yeah, a low stress level helps. If you have never done a fast before, being under stress is no way to see how you react to a fast, and I mean that psychologically as well as physically.

And for detox, one fast definitely isn't going to be enough. You will need to make this a lifestyle feature. So think of this as an initiation.
    I have done many fasts before, just. Ever got past the 2 day mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Dude, sugar & oxalic acid does not make a detox go any better in my experience with therapeutic fasting, which began in the 1980s when I was in college.

How much fasting have you done in the recent past? How many successful 18, 24 & 48 hour fasts have you done? I generally do 42-50 hour fasts once a week, but I'm not new to this sort of stuff. With only breakfasts & dinners the other 5 days of the week, no lunchs (generally) & little to no snacking.

I recommend that you fast on lots of healthy fats & lay off the listed examples of sugary fruits & spinach the day before. Like loads of avocados, minimally salted olives, some celery sticks, cukes, liberal amounts of fresh fermented foods like kimchi & sauerkraut, kombucha etc.
    Thanks, yes I have done many 18,24,48 hour fasts before. I'll keep in mind to lay off the sugar then. Sorry that's just how I use to do fasts before Primal haha.