Thread: It doesn't add up? page

Addo is offline Junior Member

It doesn't add up?

Primal Fuel
    Hi Everyone,

I am really hoping that someone can help me cause I am way confused and maybe I have missed something. I thought my maths was ok until I started to try and calculate my daily nutrient requirements. I know it's not compulsory for primal to work but I am a detail queen

So my lean body mass has been estimated at 59.6kg (131.3 pounds), so when I calculate my minimum protein requirements for a barely active person:-

131.3 x 0.5 = 65g

Or

59.6 x 0.25 = 15g

I got these ratios straight out of "the book". They should be the same. What am is missing please? Or are the ratios wrong?

Thanks in advance

Addo

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure how they should be the same. Simple public math would agree that half of 130 is in fact 65, and one quarter of 60, is in fact 15.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Addo View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I am really hoping that someone can help me cause I am way confused and maybe I have missed something. I thought my maths was ok until I started to try and calculate my daily nutrient requirements. I know it's not compulsory for primal to work but I am a detail queen

So my lean body mass has been estimated at 59.6kg (131.3 pounds), so when I calculate my minimum protein requirements for a barely active person:-

131.3 x 0.5 = 65g

Or

59.6 x 0.25 = 15g

I got these ratios straight out of "the book". They should be the same. What am is missing please? Or are the ratios wrong?

Thanks in advance

Addo
    Your 2nd ratio is wrong. And for a 'reasonably active person', I would use, .7grams/protein per pound of LBM.

It's your 2nd ratio that is incorrect.

/LU
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

dnj1965 is offline Junior Member
    Sure looks to me like there is a conversion error in my copy (and the original poster's, evidently,) of the Primal Blueprint (paperback version, 2012).

On Page 94, after stating that the minimum is “0.5 grams per pound of lean mass”, the text reads "...works with kilograms as well. The minimum protein requirement would be around .25 grams of protein per kilo of lean mass;".

Of course lbs to kg is a simple linear conversion (roughly 2.2 x lbs), and if 0.5 is right for pounds, then the correct number would be 1.1 (2.2 x 0.5) grams per kilo.
    SW = 280, PSW = 245, CW = 228, UGW = 194
    6'2" Male, Late 40's

Addo is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dnj1965 View Post
    Sure looks to me like there is a conversion error in my copy (and the original poster's, evidently,) of the Primal Blueprint (paperback version, 2012).

On Page 94, after stating that the minimum is “0.5 grams per pound of lean mass”, the text reads "...works with kilograms as well. The minimum protein requirement would be around .25 grams of protein per kilo of lean mass;".

Of course lbs to kg is a simple linear conversion (roughly 2.2 x lbs), and if 0.5 is right for pounds, then the correct number would be 1.1 (2.2 x 0.5) grams per kilo.
    Thank GOD !! I thought I was going insane. So glad you see my point. I am assuming that I will change that grams of protein per kg so it matches. I purchased the Kindle version of the book.

Thanks so much!!

Cheers

nixxy is online now Senior Member
    This has come up in this forum before (probably multiple times)

I think it's just that when they did the conversion for the book, they divided by 2 for kilos, instead of multiplying. Silly!

But all cleared up now
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal