Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Certainly makes dating interesting page 5

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I always eat the bigger steak.
    you and I could get along, and at the same time, we wouldn't.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    *Caveat- I never did the bar or club scene. Ever.*
    I always answered whatever question there was truthfully. I remember an ex asking if I liked eggplant, because his Mom apparently made a mean eggplant parmigiana. I told him the truth. "The only eggplant I've ever had had the taste and texture of wet sand, but I'm willing to give it another shot."
    Had another engineering student hit on me in the lab and ask if I wanted to go to a bar with him and his buddies. He got "Not big on the bar scene, but I'd love to get some coffee."
    I've never been one to lie, but I've also never been one to make a big deal out of something. "Want a whiskey and coke" probably would've gotten "If you'll leave the Coke out, sure!" "What's your favorite sandwich place" would've gotten "Not a big sandwich person, but there's a great [cuisine] restaurant near here. Have you been there?"
    Deflect and redirect, is what it boils down to.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    If you're looking for some amazing prince, you're likely looking in the wrong place. I met my DH when I was 19, so I never went to bars looking for a date. But guys at bars looking for a date are going to ask generic questions to weed out girls, like zoe suggested. No one is saying you should be dishonest, just know that it's light banter in a bar and don't make it a serious conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    BTW, bars are about the worst place to meet someone, unless you're just looking for sex (or "hooking up" as it's called now).
    I introduced myself to a guy in a bar... 10 months later we got married... and it's been over 26 years now...

The worst place for me to meet guys, in days gone by, was church.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KV8R View Post
    you and I could get along, and at the same time, we wouldn't.
    I always eat the rarer steak, too. We could always double-date.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Lowcarb4me is offline Junior Member
    I've been in this situation too. I can see the points made in keeping things light and flirtatious. I'm not there yet, I guess! I tend to go with the honest answers much like the OP. Guess I have some learning to do.

OTOH, if food preferences do come up I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time with a totally inveterate junk food junkie. So it's hard to know what to do.

I had an awesome conversation last week at a Single's Potluck with the guy behind me in line (really good looking), talking about why I don't eat bread or desserts unless I make my own. He asked me why I brought Eggplant Pizzas and it turned out we have shared the same health issues. He's now fully T2 diabetic, but keeping it under control with diet and exercise. He was fascinated to hear about Paleo/Primal eating and I think we might have more conversations about it in the future :-)

Pilatesmom is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowcarb4me View Post
    I've been in this situation too. I can see the points made in keeping things light and flirtatious. I'm not there yet, I guess! I tend to go with the honest answers much like the OP. Guess I have some learning to do.

OTOH, if food preferences do come up I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time with a totally inveterate junk food junkie. So it's hard to know what to do.

I had an awesome conversation last week at a Single's Potluck with the guy behind me in line (really good looking), talking about why I don't eat bread or desserts unless I make my own. He asked me why I brought Eggplant Pizzas and it turned out we have shared the same health issues. He's now fully T2 diabetic, but keeping it under control with diet and exercise. He was fascinated to hear about Paleo/Primal eating and I think we might have more conversations about it in the future :-)
    See - that's awesome!

I would love to meet guys during the same interests. Kind of tough as a single mom that works full time and has a 3 year old. Not exactly time to go and do my own thing that much. Work - is mostly spent around middle aged women (Pilates) or married men. No rush though, I want to enjoy life on my own for a while yet.

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    I disagree to some extent. It depends on what kind of bar. Now, most "bars" are restaurant/happy hour type places and I personally frequent at happy hour times like 4 or 5 until around 7. After that time, maybe they turn into pick up places but before its usually professional people who are mostly married and people go there to meet their friends or friends of friends etc. IDK, maybe that's just where I live. I think of bars and I think of crowded places, where you can't move, the music is too loud, people have on too much cologne and perfume and too little clothes and too much make up......Just saying....

Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    BTW, bars are about the worst place to meet someone, unless you're just looking for sex (or "hooking up" as it's called now).
    Health is Wealth!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I guess I must be stupid, too. If someone asked me what my favorite sub place was, I'd rather not date him. If he asks me what my favorite steak place is or if I like fancy wine, then yeah, I'll consider it, if he's good enough for me.
    I like your style. I once asked a lady if she'd ever been to a Brazillian steakhouse before and got an "Eeeeeeew, meat," response and I knew it wasn't going any further right away.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I'm sorry, guys, but you're now starting to sound like -- and please pardon the language -- fucking paleo princesses who want "respect" for your diet before the person even knows whether or not he wants to ask you on a date.

For chrissakes, it really doesn't matter at this point. It will matter when you decide you want to household. It does not matter before then. UNLESS he's aggressive about it (ie, trying to convince or force you to eat what you don't want to eat).

So lets talk about this a bit.

First, when you are in a bar, a person is getting to know what kind of person you are. If you are immediately rejecting someone who likes sub shops because you think he loves sub shops a lot because he asked you about sub shops, then you are a high maintenance princess. Secondarily, if you answer with "i don't eat bread." then you are being a snotty, high maintenance princess.

If you answer with "ah, you know, I've tried both Geno's and Pat's, but my preference is really for Rick's because of how they prep the steak for the cheesesteaks, so I guess that puts me into the Pat's category, technically, because Rick is in the Pat's family" this demonstrates that you are a smart chick who understands all things "guy awesomeness" in terms of what is culturally appropriate in that venue.

And after his mind is adequately blown, you can sneak in "but it's such a bummer that I can't eat bread anymore, because there's just nothing like a good sub." And then he'd say "oh, why not?" and you'd say "how else do you think I keep my ass looking this good?"

Then you get a compliment on your ass AND asked out on a date AND he asks where he can take you so that you can continue to have a good-looking ass which he hopes to get naked in the relatively near future if at all possible.

See, then he respects your diet because you're a hot fox who understands guy-talk and demonstrates that you are up for a good time.

Otherwise, you are just using your food preferences as another method of keeping people away from you, and you might as well go and start your cat collection, becuase your issues go way deeper than "the guy at the bar asked me about sub shops, so he's obviously disrespectful of my lifestyle."

No, he asked you about a sub shop as an introduction to talking about your ass.

Do not let your diet inhibit your sex life.
    +1000 I actually DID LOL!

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    ...no one would ever accuse me of being a princess if i said i would automatically dismiss a guy who smoked cigarettes or weed or drunk too much...
    I think that is because cigarettes and weed both smell HORRIBLE (imo), taste DISGUSTING (again IMO), and are OBVIOUSLY bad for your health ( I mean we can argue about food choices here but I don't hear of any doctors these days recommending someone take up smoking!) and people who regularly drink to much tend to have some serious issues.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast