Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to fix my posture page 2

EvolutionaryPsychologist is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    You can definitely change your posture. I did.

But there is more to it than strengthening and stretching weak areas, you have to teach your muscles from habit to be in the correct position.

The best overall activity for this is to lie on the floor with your feet up on a chair. The chair should be high enough that your legs are bent at a 90 degree angle. Lie flat on your back with your head on the ground. Keep your arms out around your waist, palms up at a 50 degree angle.

I do this position while I do my 30 minutes of meditation. It does wonders.

For a quicker fix, life face down on the floor. Then put your arms out in front of you, palms up and resting on an object about 8 inches high. Hold this position for 5 minutes. It will be tough.
    An evolutionary psychologist takes a look at the psychology of ancestral living, and how to make our minds fit, healthy, and happy in the modern age.

www.thetribalway.com

Extreme Health Radio is offline Junior Member
    Have you considered sitting on an exercise ball or getting a trek desk (treadmill desk)? Maybe an inversion table along with yoga might help too.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Pilates is a great way to improve posture. It's all core-based training that is very precise on how you should be positioning your body, including breathing properly. You learn body-weight driven exercises and are instructed not to move your body outside of its natural range of motion. Increased awareness of how it feels to move your body properly will slowly start to change how you carry yourself when you aren't working out. It's fantastic for building balance and strength.

Koobs is offline Member
    You can definitely fix bad posture at your age. I am 27 and working on the same thing. My posture went way downhill after starting my office job after college. Being an athlete, it is starting to cause some injuries. So I have mostly abandoned my current strength program and am working strictly on mobility and posture correction for the next couple of months.

Check out neanderthal no more parts 1-5 on tnation.com by Eric Cressey.

Tony gentilcore also wrote a 2 part article called deconstructing computer guy on tonygentilcore.com.

Read those two, follow their advice and watch as your posture beings to improve week by week.

I am two weeks in and seeing great results.

Good luck!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Simple fix that you can do anytime, sitting or standing. Remind yourself "chin in" and be amazed at how everything aligns, shoulders drop, chest opens up, etc. Just make the correction every time you think of it. Consciously maintaining that position takes practice. Experiment with tightening your core as you do it.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Koobs View Post
    You can definitely fix bad posture at your age. I am 27 and working on the same thing. My posture went way downhill after starting my office job after college. Being an athlete, it is starting to cause some injuries. So I have mostly abandoned my current strength program and am working strictly on mobility and posture correction for the next couple of months.

Check out neanderthal no more parts 1-5 on tnation.com by Eric Cressey.

Tony gentilcore also wrote a 2 part article called deconstructing computer guy on tonygentilcore.com.

Read those two, follow their advice and watch as your posture beings to improve week by week.

I am two weeks in and seeing great results.

Good luck!
    Those are both good articles. I have them bookmarked somewhere, but forgot about them.

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    Really helpful information, thankyou. And encouraging, which is what I needed really.

Will post on the results, hopefully I'll have some progress in a couple of months!

Shalimar is offline Member
    I second the book Pain Free by Peter Egoscue.

But first and foremost, just notice how you are standing, walking and sitting, and straighten up. It will feel like a chore at first. Your muscles have to get used to it. Think of a string attached to the top of your head, raising you up.
    "...forever wild..."
    Baxter State Park

55 years old, 5'4"
    1/1/11 weight: 172 and grumpy
    Lost 7 lbs on calories in, calories out
    Went paleo/primal 1/1/12
    Current weight: 144 and happy
    Goal weight is 130 more or less

Velocity J is offline Member
    There is not a lot of evidence that shows targeted muscle strengthening is helpful for changing posture.

A review of resistance exercise and post... [J Strength Cond Res. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI

This doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work, but it makes it hard to get a reliable estimate on the time frame that it takes for changes to occur from exercise alone. I think it's more important to be aware of what you want to change and then try to implement those changes during daily activities. Similar to managing your weight or eating well, it's a lifelong process. Do you plan on measuring your progress?

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    I highly recommend Esther Gokhale's book 8 Steps to a Pain Free Back--even if you don't have back pain, she clearly shows what good posture is from countries in the world where back pain is virtually non-existent. I've been working on my posture for about six months using her principles, and what a difference! Yes, the back pain went away (though I think that was due in large part to reducing systemic inflammation--Primal diet did the trick), but I love having better sitting, standing, and walking posture (and it's an ongoing pursuit). There's a psychological aspect of having oneself in line...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast