Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Omelets page

drnemer is offline Member

Primal Omelets

Shop Now
    Hey I am a college student so that means I am on a budget. In my suite I have an electric stove and fridge, microwave but I don't cook much. I been desiring to start making omelets, in order to supply myself with a healthy way to cook up meals. I just never done my own shopping before. Nor have I cooked before. I saw some videos youtube on how to make omelets and it seems easy enough. I just have some questions.

1. The grocery store nearest is Hannafords. It is not Trader Joes but it is near and there website says they have organic veggies and low sodium bacon. I love bacon, but i don't know if their bacon is going to be nitrate free or sugar free... Low sodium good enough? Should I see if I can find a way to get a ride to a Trader Joes or order from US Wellness meats? I want to be healthy.

2. Where can I get some good pans that don't cost too much. I have seen some pans that are specialized for omelets, so you can flip them over.... Are those any good? I like the idea of less pans means less to clean up and probably quicker to make. I think if I will get pans anywhere I would have to order off amazon. Right now I have zero pans, spatulas and plates. My suitemates have some, but only enough for themselves. I prefer to have my own. What should I be looking for if I want a well stock kitchen for making omelets.

3. This question is a bit noobish but how do I preserve veggies like onions or tomatoes if lets say I only used a half a tomato and I want to say the other half later that week. Can I just put it in a zip lock bag in the fridge and have it a few days later? How much of onion or a tomato do I need per a personal omelet. I am thinking a quarter of a cup per ingredient. But I am not sure.

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    You don't have to be much of a cook to make an omelette.

Bacon: this discussion has been had all over the site. Basically get the best you can afford. Nitrates/nitrites aren't view as a major problem by most.

Pan: Get any pan you can afford. Non stick if easy clean up is a must. At least 6" to allow the egg to spread out a bit.

Veggies: Cut up any amount you see fit to add and throw them in. Put remainder in ziplock and stick in fridge.

Cutlery: Plate, fork, spatula.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Omlettes eat well cold too, so you can make a massive one and eat as much as you want and save the rest for later.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    AWWWW this is probably the cutest post I have ever seen in my life.

But yes, what they said.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Go to Goodwill or Salvation Army to get all the cookware/dishware you could possibly dream of for like $5.

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Onions last quite a while in the fridge in a ziploc after they've been cut into. If they're not peeled or cut into they'll last for months in a cool area!

Tomatoes are pickier. They'll last for a couple days in the ziploc in the fridge. You can freeze tomatoes in a ziploc! Just know that when you bring them back out they'll be mushy - so good for soups and sauces but not good for raw-type dishes.

As for how much you need for an omelet - that depends on how hungry you are! I actually have a lot of trouble making omelets that look pretty - often I end up with what looks like a scrambled egg and veggies instead. Tastes great still though!

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Buy cherry tomatoes. The ones you don't use, uncut, will last longer. And don't refrigerate your un-cut tomatoes. It does NOT prevent them from going bad sooner. Refrigerating them just makes them watery. But if you do want to save a cut tomato, put it in a ziplock and squish out as much of the air as you can. Keep the cut surface flat against the ziplock, and refrigerate it with that cut surface down to keep it as flat and air-tight as possible.

I second the suggestion of a non-stick pan. Yes, they make special omelet ones, but if you get a 6" or 8" regular round non-stick pan, you can use it to cook other things, too. You'd probably only need that one pan to start out with. If you do get a non-stick one, be sure the get the right kind of spatula for it--the metal ones will scratch off the finish. Get one made to use on the non-stick surface.

I also agree with getting the best bacon you can afford. Do a search here on the forum and see what others have said about bacon. From what I can tell, unless you can get bacon from organically fed and raised pigs, the kind of bacon you get doesn't really matter.

@Goldie

thanks. Even though I have not been a fan of cherry tomatoes but I might try to buy them because the only cherry tomatoes i had was on the schools salad bar and the skin tasted like grass...

if i don't refrigerate un-cut tomatoes, how long should they last. i want to know because it will dictate how many tomatoes i will buy per week.

as far bacon concerned. I worry most about the sodium because it is unhealthy. i know Whole30 talks about sugar free bacon, but i am not too concern on it because i can't imagine how much sugar it can be and considering that a primal diet is so much healthier in many other ways I am not going to go crazy over sugar

On nonstick pans. does that mean i don't need oil? I got coconut oil in my dorm because I like the taste of it in shakes or just out the jar. Yum

also what are some primal spices or herbs that i can throw in that are healthy? Beyond just salt?

dnj1965 is offline Junior Member
    An (unsolicited) piece of advice.... Cooking can be (should be?) FUN. Allow yourself to experiment and to make mistakes (most all will still be edible). By experimenting, you will find both what you most like AND the most efficient way to get there. Good luck!
    SW = 280, PSW = 224, CW = 204, UGW = 194
    6'2" Male, Late 40's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast