Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much Conventional Wisdom were you taught? page 3

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    i grew up in a rural area and we followed low fat cw with margarine and wesson oil

why? because this was the dietary measure in place during my mother's formative years

i really don't know where you get your ideas, but laws they can be funny sometimes. i'm assuming it's because you've watched a lot of tv
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I grew up in an extended household in Vietnam. My parents ate rice, vegetables, fsh, and wild game, and so did everyone I knew. Nobody was fat, nobody talked about diets. Then I moved to the US and everyone was fat. My family still ate the same thing, and didn't lecture me on food besides telling me to eat more fat so my scrawny teenage ass could gain done much needed weight. There was a short-lived attempt by my parents to fatten me up in my early teens, involving forcing me to drink milk, Ensure, and eat McDonalds hamburgers, which resulted in a lot of milk and Ensure being poured down the drain and my deep hatred of McDonalds, which lasts til this day.

I had plenty of outdoor play as a child. None when we came to the US (parents were scared of kidnapping) and I remained a scrawny 60-70 pound throughout my childhood, consistent with my weight as a small child.

No CW in my experience until I was old enough to research health issues for myself.
    Last edited by Damiana; 10-28-2012 at 02:01 AM.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dnj1965 View Post
    While an intriguing question, it seems to me that the answer is not going to come from self-reports of those who are subscribed to a Primal forum and are willing to respond to any question, no matter the quality of its formulation. Not quite a random sample....
    This is a good point! The fact that this question is on this forum is going to create a lot of bias, because the fact is we're ALL here rejecting CW, and we've all come from different backgrounds (well not all of us, but you know what I mean).

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I grew up in an extended household in Vietnam. My parents ate rice, vegetables, fsh, and wild game, and so did everyone I knew. Nobody was fat, nobody talked about diets. Then I moved to the US and everyone was fat. My family still ate the same thing, and didn't lecture me on food besides telling me to eat more fat so my scrawny teenage ass could gain done much needed weight. There was a short-lived attempt by my parents to fatten me up in my early teens, involving forcing me to drink milk, Ensure, and eat McDonalds hamburgers, which resulted in a lot of milk and Ensure being poured down the drain and my deep hatred of McDonalds, which lasts til this day.

I had plenty of outdoor play as a child. None when we came to the US (parents were scared of kidnapping) and I remained a scrawny 60-70 pound throughout my childhood, consistent with my weight as a small child.

No CW in my experience until I was old enough to research health issues for myself.
    Your childhood sounds like it was really interesting.

Fortunately for me I grew up in the 1970s. We played outdoors. Moms would tell us, it's a nice day, get off the sofa and go outside. Then they would lock us out and we wouldn't be let back in until it was time to eat. I hunted for frogs and polliwogs in a little creek behind our house, I hunted for caterpillars and watched them turn to butterflies. We rollerskated up at the school where the concrete was smooth and we could go fast. We all walked to school until Jr. High and then we had to ride bikes because it was too far to walk. I walked to High School. We ate typical American food, but it was homemade. Things like pasties which are little meat pies, the crust made from flour and crisco. Or basics like roast beef with carrots and potatoes, shake-and-bake chicken, pork chops, spaghetti with meat sauce using a packet of spices and canned tomato paste, homemade pizza my mom made using frozen bread dough, tomato paste, spices and the regular pizza toppings. Breakfast cereal with sugar sprinkled on top or oatmeal. Poptarts on Saturdays. Jack-in-the-box on grocery night. Nothing too crazy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

wiltondeportes Guest
    I recently watched this move about Obama called "2016: Obama's America". The main journalist seeks to learn why Obama has made so many odd decisions in office. His way of doing this was to figure out what Obama's 'dream America' would be like. He goes through Obama's life and family history.

I just started thinking about how his investigation is very similar to the question I posed in this thread. The journalist claims Obama's basic identity tracks all the way back to his father's anti-colonialism and third world collectivism, which his mother reinforced in Barack. On the flipside, Barack's half brother grew up far away back in Kenya. He is not anti-colonial nor a believer in third world collectivism. This is an example of two people in two starkly different living conditions growing up producing two starkly different views.

Unfortunately for Barack, third world collectivism has only failed in its history. His 'dream', conscious or unconscious, would never come to light. George's capitalistic view is shared with the growing economies of the world. Barack is wrong, George is right. Barack Obama is an example of 'conventional wisdom' that must taught over within our culture with real wisdom.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    It's a food board. It's a health board. You apparently are lost. Your agenda is simplistic, but in your favor, it's transparent.

Every single person I know who is a George worshipper fancies that someday he/she will be one of the 1%. But until you are, make no mistake: George and his cronies see you in no better light than a cockroach or street drunk.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    It's a food board. It's a health board. You apparently are lost. Your agenda is simplistic, but in your favor, it's transparent.

Every single person I know who is a George worshipper fancies that someday he/she will be one of the 1%. But until you are, make no mistake: George and his cronies see you in no better light than a cockroach or street drunk.
    Topics overlap my dear.

Why should I give a damn what George or his cronies think about me? Do they exist to serve me, or do I exist to serve myself and make bonds with friends, family, and community to serve each other?

By the way, I do not ever care if I am in the 1%, so count me as the first objection to your belief.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 10-30-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123