View Poll Results: What should I do when my husband wants to cook pasta for guests?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eat the sauce from round the pasta and try and hide the fact I'm avoiding it.

7 25.00%
  • Make a big fuss about it in front of my guests.

1 3.57%
  • Lie and say the doctor has told me to avoid gluten.

13 46.43%
  • Shut up and eat the damned pasta.

7 25.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Husband wants to cook pasta for guests page 3

Primal Beast is offline Junior Member
    I believe that you need to do what's good for you, with all the squash in season you could always prepare a butternut or something and reserve some of the meat sauce to pour over it, and maybe make a primal desert. If friends ask about it, let them know that you want to stick to your guns and get grains and all other non primal foods out of your diet. And the reason for the pasta is that your husband and yourself want to make sure that they are satisfied with there meal. This reply is my first, just going primal this week, I know that this is the right step for me, always think of other People, but always do what is right for you. Grok on!

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Seriously...

This falls into the realm of get over it.

The polls choices are all obnoxious, IMO. You don't have to explain, lie, or shame yourself to stick with your lifestyle. Just quietly eat what you like and when the inevitable "are you doing Atkin's blahblahblah" comes up, just say you only eat clean, whole foods. It's the complete truth. Also, telling people you're gluten intolerant just means they're going to be thoughtful enough to bring GF baked goods for dessert next time.

Eat the sauce. Grill a steak or five. Make a nice salad, and serve fresh berries with coconut cream for dessert. And don't raise a big stink about to DH or your guests. Adults don't have to eat things they don't want. And everyone doesn't have to cater to your preferences.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    Every time I think 'Well maybe I'll be really ill afterwards and he'll notice that it's bad for me', but he doesn't, and to be fair I'm not always really ill afterwards – there isn't a clear correlation. So maybe I am making a fuss over nothing.

Part of the trouble is that we don't have a lot of spare cash, so steak for seven just isn't an option. But it's mainly that he wants to make pasta. And I do mean make pasta. From flour and eggs and all that stuff. So it's nicer than shop-bought stuff, but it's still pasta. He says he 'wants to get through the flour' (we bought a big 25kg bag of it for him to make pasta and pizza with, just weeks before changing our diet). I know he'll be offended if I take the sauce and refuse his pasta. I'm just a wimp.

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orielwen View Post
    Every time I think 'Well maybe I'll be really ill afterwards and he'll notice that it's bad for me', but he doesn't, and to be fair I'm not always really ill afterwards – there isn't a clear correlation. So maybe I am making a fuss over nothing.
    I don't think your making a fuss at all. Even though you don't double over in pain if you eat a pastry or something doesn't mean its not having an effect on you, and if your husband has at least a general knowledge of how primal works or if he has at least read the book I think he should know that.

I don't think making a meal for myself if he wants to make pasta for himself and the guest so bad. That might look obnoxious to the other guests but I wouldn't care. I just hate feeling pressured to eat something, even if its healthy or not.

I know he'll be offended if I take the sauce and refuse his pasta. I'm just a wimp.
    Meh if he doesn't understand where your coming from, let him be offended? lol Maybe he'll get over it once he makes something primal and you eat it. Be extra grateful lol

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Grow some balls.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Nady is offline Senior Member

Part of the trouble is that we don't have a lot of spare cash, so steak for seven just isn't an option. But it's mainly that he wants to make pasta. And I do mean make pasta. From flour and eggs and all that stuff. So it's nicer than shop-bought stuff, but it's still pasta. He says he 'wants to get through the flour' (we bought a big 25kg bag of it for him to make pasta and pizza with, just weeks before changing our diet). I know he'll be offended if I take the sauce and refuse his pasta. I'm just a wimp.
    What exactly do you want to hear? From where I'm sitting, I'd say grow up and be responsible for yourself. It's not your husband's job to control what you do or do not eat. It's not his job to protect you from yourself!!

Do what you want. Eat the pasta or don't eat the pasta~ stop looking for permission, stop trying to justify.

I'm honestly not sure exactly what I want to hear. I'm not looking for permission or trying to justify. I honestly don't know whether this is worth making a fuss over, or whether I should just suck it up.

I think I'd feel a lot better if I actually knew that wheat was a problem for me. Because I don't have any hard evidence that it does, I feel I shouldn't protest too much about it.
    Last edited by orielwen; 10-27-2012 at 10:11 AM.

I think I will at least try to ask him to serve the pasta and the sauce separately rather than stirring it all up together in the pan.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I'm honestly not sure exactly what I want to hear. I'm not looking for permission or trying to justify. I honestly don't know whether this is worth making a fuss over, or whether I should just suck it up.

I think I'd feel a lot better if I actually knew that wheat was a problem for me. Because I don't have any hard evidence that it does, I feel I shouldn't protest too much about it.
    If you continue to eat gluten grains, you will never know. I had no idea it was gluten that caused my eczema. It wasn't until my system/skin was totally clear and then I ate wheat and broke out the next day that I knew for sure. BTW~ this was about 20 years ago, when everybody was first pushing *healthy whole grains*

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I can appreciate where your husband is coming from now that you explained that he's making the pasta with such good ingredients. I'm a former chef and I was known for my wild yeast sourdough. It was a demarcation and a sign of my commitment to primal eating when I dumped my sourdough. He enjoys the kudos he will certainly receive from his pasta dinner and he doesn't want to waste the flour. We too had a 25# of organic flour when we made the commitment. We've sealed the flour in 5# bags and are keeping them for emergencies.

I think you should talk to him and say you'd like this to be a last hurrah to pasta and pastries. You can decide for yourself whether you want to eat it or not. He needs to get a little more understanding about the destructive nature of wheat, maybe read Wheat Belly. And then the 2 of you can do some research and find some tasty primal recipes for your next dinner party.
    Recently I made lasagna with butternut squash instead of pasta and it was delicious. I really think he should look at designing
    a primal dinner as a fun challenge not a limitation. I've come up with so many tasty recipes I honestly doubt that any one would realize that they were eating a primal dinner, they would just be so happy to eat such a tasty meal.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast