Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to plan and need advice please :-) page

clara is offline Junior Member

New to plan and need advice please :-)

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone, just joined a gym in desperate need to lose weight, become healthy etc etc etc.

I'm nearly 39, struggled with my weight since having children and tried lots of diets, weight watchers was the most recent, but i would lose 1lb then put i back on the following week. Needless to say, i have got to a point where i need something different, and that works!!

So, have a PT (shared with 2 friends) to help us on our weight loss journey, and he has suggested this eating plan.

However, i really feel i need some help from people who actually practice this diet. Always following a low cal/low fat diet, i am really having problems getting my head around having coconut milk/oils/nuts etc as opposed to having skimmed milk and low cal products. i have seen some amazing sounding recipes for thing like banana bread, coconut pancakes etc. My problem is i don't know who much/often i can have or used these items.

Sorry to go on, i really have been searching the internet for guidance on the questions i have hence coming across this website, but could really do with some help please.

Am hoping you lovely people on here can help me, any tips/guidance would be greatly appreciated, as i really want to lose weight, i am doing exercise classes too so am hoping this will help with my weight loss. I have around 24lbs to lose.

Thank you in advance for any help.

C
    :-)
    x

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Have you read through all the Newbie info on here yet? And have you actually read the Primal Blueprint book? That's the best place to start.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html This link is to all the Newbie info. I started with actually reading the book and after getting kinda lost over the last few months, I have started reading the book again and have just gone back to basics and I'm feeling really good.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I'd recommend getting the kindle version of the PB (bit cheaper) and just following that. Download the free PB fitness manual and your golden

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    I did the whole...go to the gym and sweat for 6 months thing too. Lost about 30 lbs, got bored, stopped and put 15 of them back on. So I know from where you are speaking. Welcome to the forum! I'm presuming you've read up a little bit about what paleo/primal eating is all about and while we can get very involved in the minutiae basically it's all about eating healthy whole, unprocessed foods (the outer aisles in your supermarket). All kinds of meats are on the menu: beef, pork, fish, lamb, chicken, turkey, wild game and so on. Paleo and primal diverge a little bit w/ respect to fat but under a primal plan fats from grass fed animals is a-ok. Even if you can't get or afford grass fed go for it. Natural butter is good. Grease and drippings are good. Skin is ok. Olive and nut oils are good (for the most part...no peanut oil). Eggs are good. So this really isn't a low fat diet. These tasty meats cover half your plate. The other half should be any variety of fresh veggie you like. Fruits are on the list too but for weight loss don't go overboard. Snacking on nuts, olives, a bit of dark chocolate, small amounts of cheese and so on is fine. I'm sure you already know about the no grains, no pasta, no breads, no legumes, no boxed foods right? That's crucial.

If you need encouragement just go check out the hundreds of before and after pics in the forum. It works. Personally I'm down 30 lbs in 3 mos. and still going. Good luck to you!
    Last edited by shep68; 10-26-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member

Crofter is offline Member
    Hi Clara
    I know it's hard getting your head round the massive change in diet but please believe me, it's worth it! I started on the low carb idea in January this year and gradually gave up the high carb foods in my diet. I found this site and bought the Primal Blueprint book in March and read it from cover to cover in 2 days. At that point I decided that I really believed in the science behind the Primal/Paleo lifestyle and I've not looked back. I've lost 50 lbs since then and am so much fitter using Mark's recommended exercise routines.

You have to ignore the conventional wisdom and concentrate on the fact that carbs drive insulin which stores fat. You need to get enough protein in your diet and make up the difference with good fats. I can honestly say that I have not felt hungry in all the months I have been doing this and I see myself continuing this lifestyle for the rest of my life.

Good luck with your journey into Primal living, do read Mark's book, and hang around here too. There are so many helpful people on this forum who will give you their (varying) opinions, allowing you to do the research for yourself and find what you believe and what work for you.

Dave
    Last edited by Crofter; 10-26-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Thank you everyone for your replies, i really appreciate your time.
    I've read quite a bit stuff in the last few days (only heard of this plan 4 days ago ) So have avoided my usual toast for breakfast etc. Maybe i'm not very bright as not picked up on how much i should be eating of the nuts/coconut milk etc yet, or maybe i've just missed it :-) I will read the links attached (thanks)

I think it's just a case of getting used to a different way of thinking, i've emptied my fridge today of my low fat spreads, mayo, diet drinks (that one hurt the most, i love diet coke) and have ordered coconut flour, coconut oil, almond flour, almond butter today, can't buy them in my local health shop (it's very small) so ordered online. Not sure what i will do with them yet but i'm sure i will learn.
    I have a terrible sweet tooth and am panicking that i won't stick to this without them so hope to make some paleo friendly products once they arrive.

Any other tips or advice you can give would be great and i will continue with my research/reading too.

Once again, thanks so much, just nice to speak to others doing the plan too.

C

Crofter is offline Member
    I've found that the sweet tooth has diminished over the months. I snack on cheese, cold meat, nuts (not too many) and veggies (Carrot sticks, celery etc.) and 1 or 2 pieces of fruit a day. I have even got to the point in the last 2 weeks where I put off breakfast until about 11am or noon as I feel like I work best in the mornings that way.

Don't try to "replace" the old foods in your diet too much, embrace the lovely filling meals you can now eat and you won't need them!

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    IMO, rely on getting your fat from your meats and cooking with olive or coconut oils, or using butter or ghee to cook veggies. Coconut milk is ok, but it's easy to go overboard on that as well as the nuts. A handful of nuts a day is ok. Making nuts one of your primary fat sources and bingeing on them is not ok. Coconut milk should be considered a treat, not an every day staple, but that's just my opinion. Some may disagree with me on that. I have coconut milk maybe once a week or so now with mashed banana for a little treat after dinner. I used to use it for everything but I have found that I stay full for a longer period of time when I just eat real foods instead of trying to supplement my diet with coconut milk.

This forum is just what i needed, thank you everyone

No doubt i will keep asking you questions (sorry in advance) but will continue to look around website.

Am getting a 'kindle' for my birthday next month so holding off buying any paper books at the moment but this will be first on my list.

So far, i have been having eggs for breakfast, chicken and salad for lunch, and dinner has been the lean meat with either veg or eggs and salad, so clearly need to think about more fat. I have had the odd atkins low carb bar, i know they are not advised but i really needed something sweet so thought that was the best option. I love cheese but was under the impression that was a non starter.

If i can't tolerate tea/coffee without milk, what would be the better option, skimmed cows milk or coconut milk? I have ordered some which appears more like a watered down version of tins or coconut cream, maybe it's different here in the UK, but as it comes in a regular cows milk carton i am assuming it is somehow different to the stuff i would use for example in a thai curry.

Thanks again lovely people

Clara.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast