Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New to plan and need advice please :-) page 4

clara is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
    For your sweet tooth, keep 85% dark chocolate on hand. I like Black and Green's Organic 85%, myself. Way better than an Atkins Bar. Good Luck.
    Lovely!! another item to shopping list :-) thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    One person said to start a journal. I did.

Make you a deal. You read mine and I'll read yours! Atleast we won't be writing one to no one. I know I've read numerous times, people that track what they are doing, lose more.

If you start one, let me know. I'll be your number one fan...LOL
    Hi

How do i start a journal?? Sounds like a plan to me :-)

You have a deal, i'll bore you with my story and anyone else who is too ;-)

C

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Another thing to add to your list.

Talking to my daughter today, she recommended agave nector. It doesn't give you the insulin spike, like sugar, honey etc do. Think the wife is going to try some Paleo deserts with it and see it that helps my sweet tooth.

All About Agave - What is Agave Nectar?
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

LaxCoach is offline Junior Member
    Clara,

Best of luck to you first of all. The thing that gave me the most success when I first started was to just cut out the junk altogether for 3-4 weeks. Don't do cheat days or anything like that - that leads to relapse in the early going. After that time period is up, you won't have cravings for junk anymore, and if you have a day where you break down and eat something bad, you #1, probably won't like it, #2 will feel sick about 30 mins after eating it, #3 need to find out your limits before falling off the wagon (for me, if I eat junk 2 days in a row - I fall off the wagon for 2 weeks).

The paleo desserts and creations are great options - but they can also lead you down a bad path, try as much as possible to stick to meat, veggies, fruit, and nuts as much as possible in the early going. I refused to give up milk, so I gradually worked my way up to whole milk from skim by mixing skim with 2% first, then straight 2%, then mixing, etc...

Keep it up, your life will improve drastically

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Good luck Clara I also say just say no to the stuff that makes you think naughty treat. Even if semi primal. It sends the wrong message to the brain, at least a first while you are re-focusing. I have done none of the baking, dessert like things or pancakes etc. The reason is that you start to find things that you would never have thought of before. You explore different options, it will make it way easier for you not to cheat. I have only been doing this for just over 4 months, but I have really had no cravings at all, and yes I was a huge carb. fiend. Pancakes, doughnut, ice creams, the works...... that is how I got myself in the state I was in. I do love coconut milk in my coffee in the morning. The canned thick stuff. Mainly because I have discovered a dairy problem, or I would use cream. My excess weight is now gone, so I am just now starting to consider a treat occasionally, but after being without for 4 months, I think it is likely better for me not to go back, except for a rare occasion. I feel so much better when my diet is clean. I have found if I feel hungry or just want to extend my time without food, then a spoonful of coconut oil does the trick. My favourite breakfast is bacon and fried banana yuum... Oh and because it takes a while to really digest all the fat and protein, I find my portion control is way better if I eat really really slowly. Put knife and fork down between bites and chew your food really well etc. you may find that halfway through you think to yourself, mmm. I have really had enough for now.
    Last edited by Silvergirl; 10-27-2012 at 10:28 PM.

i have this already in my kitchen so that;s great, thanks

Silvergirl and Laxcoach, thank you

I went to the supermarket yesterday afternoon as has a friend arriving to dinner so looked at some of the things that i could potentially eat, dates, for example, gosh, are they high in everything! i actually put them back on the shelf, despite loving them i just know i would keep eating them and not be able to stop.

I am going to take your advice and try to stay with a basic menu to start with, and try not to make any pudding, desserts etc for now, as you both said, as i know i will have a problem with portion control with any sweet items.

I did buy some organic 80% green and blacks dark choc, but if i go overboard with it, i won't buy it again.

Thanks again for your great advice :-)

C

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    Good luck Clara I also say just say no to the stuff that makes you think naughty treat. Even if semi primal. It sends the wrong message to the brain, at least a first while you are re-focusing. I have done none of the baking, dessert like things or pancakes etc. The reason is that you start to find things that you would never have thought of before. You explore different options, it will make it way easier for you not to cheat. I have only been doing this for just over 4 months, but I have really had no cravings at all, and yes I was a huge carb. fiend. Pancakes, doughnut, ice creams, the works...... that is how I got myself in the state I was in. I do love coconut milk in my coffee in the morning. The canned thick stuff. Mainly because I have discovered a dairy problem, or I would use cream. My excess weight is now gone, so I am just now starting to consider a treat occasionally, but after being without for 4 months, I think it is likely better for me not to go back, except for a rare occasion. I feel so much better when my diet is clean. I have found if I feel hungry or just want to extend my time without food, then a spoonful of coconut oil does the trick. My favourite breakfast is bacon and fried banana yuum... Oh and because it takes a while to really digest all the fat and protein, I find my portion control is way better if I eat really really slowly. Put knife and fork down between bites and chew your food really well etc. you may find that halfway through you think to yourself, mmm. I have really had enough for now.
    Silvergirl - breakfast sounds yummy, so bacon with fried banana, would you consider this as an occasional treat or something to have most days?? Oh, and do you use a little coconut oil to cook this with? thanks

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    Silvergirl - breakfast sounds yummy, so bacon with fried banana, would you consider this as an occasional treat or something to have most days?? Oh, and do you use a little coconut oil to cook this with? thanks
    I have it pretty much every day two to three rashers of bacon, depending on the bacon thickness/size and only half a small banana. Mainly because I have also discovered I have a problem with eggs and dairy so that cuts a lot out. Yes I use coconut oil, just a bit because if you use too much it makes the bananas soggy. I like them a bit crisp and almost caramelized.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You could also do this with plantains. They are a great source of carbohydrate, and have less sugar than bananas. I love plantains fried in CO, so yumm! I also slice sweet potato and fry them up in CO, delicious!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast