Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One New Thing Every Week page 2

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    LOVE persimmons! Very few people in North America have tried one. The only people I know who've had them are Asian.

I tried rutabaga a few weeks ago (yuck) and kohlrabi last week (yum!).

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I've made it a point my whole life to try new stuff as much as possible--both things I think I'll love and things I think I'll hate. I get TONS of amazing stories from doing this. It can be something mundane like some new food, or something crazy and adventurous...and dangerous.

Today was 90% dark chocolate with almond butter on top. I love each separately, and together...holy crap. Doing that again for sure.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    LOVE persimmons! Very few people in North America have tried one. The only people I know who've had them are Asian. .
    Really? I grew up in Southern California, and we had them a LOT. Even here in Washington state, they are plentiful, and this is the season to grab some. Most people may not be aware that they aren't terribly edible until they are so ripe they are mushy.
    They weren't often available in the Midwest, so I'll grant you that the entire country may not have tried them.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    I had chicken hearts last night.

I've had beef heart before an Argentinian restaurant, but with chicken hearts you just kind of eat the whole thing at once, which is odd...er.

Minced some of the leftovers into tonights meatloaf. Ah well, it was a good try.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    There is one kind of persimmons you eat hard: fuyu. I have served the soft kind layered in goblets with whipped cream. It's very elegant and people are shocked when I tell them what it is.

Today for something new I answered a rude question with a full and honest answer rather than try to brush it off with a joke. The question was the person observed I have been engaging in a lot of new exercising lately and wanted to know if I was having a mid life crisis. The risk I took was telling him about paleo and how it has healed a long list of physical problems for me and I exercise a lot because I feel so good I just want to move my body. I broke the rule that you don't talk about paleo.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I've made it a point my whole life to try new stuff as much as possible--both things I think I'll love and things I think I'll hate. I get TONS of amazing stories from doing this. It can be something mundane like some new food, or something crazy and adventurous...and dangerous.
    Oh, wow, Mr. Anthony! I would SO love to hang out with you!! That is my philosophy, too! My kids know that every time I leave the house, I am apt to do something unexpected (but safe - good role model for the kids and all, you know), and the oldest won't let me go on any longer day out without her just so she doesn't miss out on some wierdness.

Last week I tried rendering suet to make tallow for the first time.

The week before, I went to a Pagan Witches Ball for the first time - very, very fun event (billed as family friendly, and it was, too).

What a beautiful idea for a thread! I'm subscribing to this one...

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Oh, wow, Mr. Anthony! I would SO love to hang out with you!! That is my philosophy, too! My kids know that every time I leave the house, I am apt to do something unexpected (but safe - good role model for the kids and all, you know), and the oldest won't let me go on any longer day out without her just so she doesn't miss out on some wierdness.

Haha. My life philosophy usually goes like this when I'm faced with a new experience:

"What are the odds this will kill me?" If that answer is 'less than 50%', I'll do it no questions asked. If the odds are higher than 50%, my next question is "will I have an amazing story if I survive?" If that answer is 'yes', I'm probably doing it. Get great stories that way.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoeticPixe View Post
    I'm so "borrowing" this idea for my future students. =) I think this will enthuse children. They love sharing, and it will encourage them to be a bit more adventurous. Thanks for the idea!! I'll make it a point to try something new this week as well.
    do it...it's great. it can take a little coaxing at first, but once they realize that i'm not talking about skydiving, they get into it a little bit more. i teach college creative writing, and i was amazed to find out how dull most college students can be once the semester gets going a bit, so this started off as a thing to give them experiences to write about. now, it's much more focused on being aware and connecting to a moment, noticing what it's like to discover something...stuff that helps them actually put something into their work. but, i think this could work for any subject.

NowhereMan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i was amazed to find out how dull most college students can be once the semester gets going a bit, so this started off as a thing to give them experiences to write about. now, it's much more focused on being aware and connecting to a moment, noticing what it's like to discover something...stuff that helps them actually put something into their work. but, i think this could work for any subject.
    This really struck a chord with me. Being in college, I can vouch that classes and all that really sap my creativity. During breaks and over the summer when I'm just working, this doesn't happen. It's something about academia.

I'm giving this idea a shot, and I don't know about any subject, but hopefully it will help with my music.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Put up my first ever batch of beet kvass.

I bought some beet salad from WFoods the other day. I knew I could improve on it, so I bought a big honkin' beet. Then the temps went from 86F to the high 60s almost overnight, and I wasn't in the mood for salad. Then someone posted about beet kvass, which I'd never heard of. So, the planet was obviously telling me something. Or I was just desperate to do something with that big honkin' beet.

Not sure if I'll count this as my new thing this week, because the results and subsequent tasting are at least a week and a half away. But just in case, I thought I'd post it.

Also went to a Halloween party on Saturday, and while this isn't technically a new thing, I've been more and more reclusive in the 3-and half years since my mother died. So, it was a bit of a thing for me. It was okay. I think I still like strangers better than people I know.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast