Thread: Help me get back on track! page

PaleoPanda is offline Member

Help me get back on track!

Shop Now
    I've had a couple of weeks of being really busy at work, and my Primal eating has gone a bit skewed! Mainly it has to be said from sugar consumption, energy quick fixes, but also meals out, business lunches etc. I've gone back to feeling tired, lethargic and having mouth ulcers, which usually precipitates a Crohns attack.

I want to get back on track but am having terrible sugar cravings, and and this is nearly always leading me to something bad!

I need ideas to help in quitting the sugar - any strategies/ideas, how has anyone else managed to get off the stuff? I never realised quite how addictive it was until I started eating it again after a fair time off it.

BeatlesFan is offline Member
    Just a suggestion; for me, Coke Zero is a great way to satisfy my sweet tooth

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    For me, some changes have to be made incrementally, but others have to be done drastically. Sugar is a cold turkey thing for me. If I find myself lapsing into the "just a little more sugar" thing, I know because it makes me hungry all the time. So for me, what works is to not worry about quantity of food, but to eat nothing more carby than greens for a few days. All the eggs, meat, fish, fat I want, but nothing sweet. No fruit, potatoes, carrots, beets, etc.

The first day is usually very difficult. The second less so. For me, I can feel the difference by day three, and go back to my regular eating on day four. To be truthful, I usually go the whole three days with no plant foods, but I don't want to recommend that because I don't want to get yelled at by the community.

Good luck.

egrok is offline Member
    I prefer to have fruit and 70% dark chocolate to satisfy my sweet tooth. or if you really can't handle 70% and have a favorite go-to candy bar, get maybe 2 or 3, cut them into 4ths - large bite-sized pieces, and allow yourself 1-2 a day. maybe one in the morning, one at night. when you eat it, actually suck on it. enjoy the flavor until it melts away. it will satisfy your sweet-tooth without risking you eating the whole bar in one sitting.

goodluck!

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    Keep some of that 78% or 85% dark chocolate on hand for the worst cravings. Break off a square and munch it to satisfy the sweet tooth. You're just gonna have to bite the bullet and return to your original diet though....the one that was working. Only takes a couple days to get back in the swing.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I'd go with the cold turkey approach also. Completely eliminating sweets and fruits and other sweet foods for few days seems to both get rid of the cravings and change the taste buds. Even veges start tasting sweet.

PaleoPanda is offline Member
    I do like dark chocolate - my treat of choice was the Lindt 90% one. I've quit the chocolate and sweet fixes but have been eating fruit instead to satisfy it, maybe I just need to do a couple of days with nothing sweet at all by the sounds of it. It's a vicious circle - I feel tired so I eat something to pick myself up, and that contributes to the tiredness.

Perhaps I can do it over the weekend when I don't have to work, maybe it would be easier to cope with!

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    I'd go with the cold turkey approach also. Completely eliminating sweets and fruits and other sweet foods for few days seems to both get rid of the cravings and change the taste buds. Even veges start tasting sweet.
    I agree ^^^

I find even fruits leave me craving more and more through the day. Cutting out fruits during the day has really helped me with my sugar cravings. But I don't have any other sugar either, other than the bit that's in the coconut water I drink right after my workout.

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member
    Cold turkey definitely works, but it can be really hard.

My favorite tool is procrastination. Set a specific day of the week to allow over-indulgences. Then, when the day comes, you may or may not want to push it back another day, and another. Just keep telling yourself you'll do it later. Before you know it a week passes, maybe two or three, or a month. You know deep down that you can go get that ____________ any time you want it, so why does it have to be right now?

Laziness is often a fault, but sometimes it can be a virtue. It works for me. I was too tired and lazy to stop at the grocery on the way home to buy a chocolate bar, even though I'm dying for one right now. I'd give my left arm for some chocolate, but I'm too lazy to get dressed and go buy one.

Make it horribly inconvenient to misbehave with food.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    ^^ Love that, Diana!