Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eating paleo is great during the day, but at night I can't help myself... page 2

BygoneCat is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Another suggestion for a fast and easy snack is coconut butter. I make my own by putting 2-4 cups of dried, unsweeted coconut in the blender and blending for 4 minutes on high. Sometimes I add a spoon or two of coconut oil. It is satiating and very good for you.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I second healthy starches. White potato is great for satiation, cheap and easy to cook (like boil for 40 min, no brainer). Sub for your chocolate and biscuits & you are good. I know everyone is nuttoes about sweet potato, but it is high in sugar, less satiating and far pricier, at least where I live. Give a try to coconut products as well, if you can find good quality ones with no crap added.

ANd swap tuna and chicken on your salad for salmon and sardines, pork chops etc, and you will be laughing!
    The price thing IS true, though anything with carbs/starches is high in sugars, including white potatoes. I tend to steer away from white taters because here the non-organic have pesticides and the organic have copper and the cheapest have almost no other nutrients.

So, in the interest of fairness, depending on your area, a few of these will probably suit you:
    -white potato
    -sweet potato
    -yam
    -tapioca
    -carrot
    -parsnip
    -beetroot
    -squashes
    -pumpkins
    All starchy, slow-release and at least ONE will be available cheap and healthy in your area. You'll have to do a bit of reading-up and taste-testing to find "your" one, but it'll be worth it.

phitone is offline Junior Member
    It sounds to me that there are a number of issues in play. I often have had the same issues and found that I just wasn't eating enough during the day so by the time I got home I was ravenous. You may want to try eating a bit more throughout the day to keep you satiated.

The underlying issue that I am hearing though is something that I am all to familiar with. It sounds as though you are doing some emotional eating and may be suffering from some depression. Your comments about no longer having an interest in the things you love as well as scavenging when coming home to an empty house may be some indicators. It is tough being a teen and many teens have feelings of inadequacy. Perhaps you could find a trusted adult with whom you could discuss your feelings. Maybe a school counselor or clergy person could help if you don't feel as though you can talk to your parents. Remember that diet is just one piece of the picture. We need balance in our lives and our emotional health is paramount to a healthy lifestyle. Best of luck.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I concur, you may not be eating enough during the day. You also may be too low on fat, how about having some heavy cream on hand to sip in the evenings or perhaps mix a little honey (raw if you can get it) with unsalted butter and snack on that. I've found that having enough fat in my diet takes away the desire to snack.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Get some starchy carbs in your last meal before bedtime and stay away from them in the morning and in the daytime. Very important to refill glycogen after exercises...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12