Thread: Working out before eating, felt better, more energy? page

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member

Working out before eating, felt better, more energy?

So I did my workouts today and didn't have any breakfast. I had two coffees with cream and like two bites of cottage cheese that I was feeding my babies, but that's it. And my workout kicked major ass! I had tons of energy and felt really strong.

Is this just a fluke thing that I had all this energy, or is there something behind working out before eating for the day that gives more energy?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I have been working out fasted exclusively for over a year now. I think the increased evergy is just one of the benefits.*

*I work out around lunch time. If you're working out in the late afternoon or evening, you might do better to have a meal before working out.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I have been working out fasted exclusively for over a year now. I think the increased evergy is just one of the benefits.*

*I work out around lunch time. If you're working out in the late afternoon or evening, you might do better to have a meal before working out.
    Just curious, why is there an increase in energy when working out fasted? Do you know the science behind it?

I work out in the mornings, usually around 10 or 11 so it works out perfect. I'm now having a nice, big lunch!

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I train fasted too. Training with food in my stomach makes me feel heavy and slow, and kinda barfy when the weights are heavy. Check out the Leangains site for the science behind it - i don't know offhand.

BeatlesFan is offline Member
    After doing a little experimenting, fasted training is definitely the optimal way for me. Like misc said I originally got the idea from Leangains. My favorite thing about working out fasted is that it increases the post-work out endorphin rush, and although I'm torn up from lifting, I feel like I'm on cloud 9 at the same time. Love that feeling

Quote Originally Posted by BeatlesFan View Post
    After doing a little experimenting, fasted training is definitely the optimal way for me. Like misc said I originally got the idea from Leangains. My favorite thing about working out fasted is that it increases the post-work out endorphin rush, and although I'm torn up from lifting, I feel like I'm on cloud 9 at the same time. Love that feeling
    Yes, exactly! It's a really good feeling, kinda like being high, lol!! Just a very good sense of well being.

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    I just started the PBP a month ago and have tried IF workouts and have mostly enjoyed them. Essentially, if I'm not hungry, I don't eat. This helps me avoid heartburn during lifting, and I feel a little bit more clear headed. I often times do not eat afterwards either if I'm not feeling it, I believe Mark states in the BP that by not eating after a workout you continue to produce HGH(I think) for longer. So far so good, definitely worth experimenting with.

deadliftdan is offline Junior Member
    Over the last few weeks I have been experimenting with my pre-workout food choices. When I lift before noon the protein bar and banana I had been eating pre-workout was making me feel slow and slugish -- those food items represent about half my carbs for the day. The past two early day sessions I have done fasted. Maybe just a dash of jerky and nuts on the way to the gym. Much better energy level.

When I workout later in the day, I need to give myself at least three hours after a meal no matter the content.
    April 2012, SW 330 / CW 266 / GW Able to do 10 pull ups
    Personal best lifts: Squat - 315, Deadlift - 435, Bench - 275, Press - 165 Strong enough? Not yet!

Father of 3 young boys who has gone Paleo to kick a 40-year addiction to carbs. An aspiring powerlifter who wants to be the strongest (and now fittest) dad on the playground.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't eat before I work out. I have much better energy if my stomach is empty.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs