Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The whole bulky woman thing page 9

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    So what, Leida. I can't catch a ball for shit. I scored one whole point in my whole career on track in high school and that's only because I came in third out of three. But you know what? I'm an athlete and I'm awesome.

I'm actually a pillar of athletic prowess in a large community of other people, and I'm talking about the little me in the "before" picture. She was an athlete as much as the one in the "after" picture.

The reason why I'm a pillar of athleticism is I told all those mean coaches and parents and kids from school living in my head to go fuck themselves. I defined athlete my own way. I can still remember the day I realized I was a real athlete and that I was awesome. I actually printed out something and put it on my refrigerator so I would see it every day. This was about 15 years ago. I had been hiking and riding my bike, getting stronger and less scared every day. It hit me one day: you don't have to throw balls to be an athlete.

Since then my feet have walked every step of the way from the Mexican border to the Canadian border. Lots of people have done it and they were faster than me, carried more weight (or less, as that's a contest in itself), hiked more miles in a day than me, were older or skinnier or prettier or younger or whatever. Good for them! They are awesome! I have a freakin' strong body and this body carried me and my stuff all the way from the Mexican border to Canada all alone out in the wilderness doing scary shit I didn't even know I could do. I'm strong and I'm awesome, too. An A+, if you ask me.

What else makes me an athlete? I ride a bicycle, can run for hours and hours, I hiked all the local trails with a pedometer and built a website for the community to use. The entire community thinks I'm an athlete and you know what, I am!

I can't win at anything. I never will be the best. I'm not even the top expert about all the trails on my website. But I built the site, I hiked all the trails, I gave it away and people all over the world thank me for what I've done. I am the best I can be and I'm awesome.

You are, too. You just have to tell those mean coaches and parents living in your head to go fuck themselves. They flunked the college of real life. Their curriculum missed a huge category of sports and they failed to produce whole swaths of athletes who succeed at setting goals and achieving them, pushing themselves more each time, trying new things, inventing and learning, giving back to their communities and living rich, full lives. They fucked up. They are the failures. Not you.

Athletes don't just throw balls at each other or prance around in beauty pageants. Real athletes go out and live life to the fullest. That's what makes someone an A+.
    This x 1billion. Just because I have aspergers and can't even understand what's going in in team sports doesn't mean I can't outrun everyone I know! I am awesome to myself because I do the things I do, as they pertain to me. Boom. You said it!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Leida, those people were awful and unkind and continuing to repeat what they said when you talk to yourself is just perpetuating their meanspirited actions. Also, your daughter is learning how to treat herself by watching you. If you can't be compassionate toward yourself for your own sake, maybe do it for hers?

Even the fitness models don't look like that in daily life. The standard you are upholding is literally impossible.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Just sayin, some people are more competitive than others. Thinking your an athlete is fine but, some people want to be a "winning" athlete. i know someone who known as a "runner" because she does a lot of marathons. God for her, nothing against her but, she finishes last in all of them. I had a breathing condition and didnt run for 5 months. My first run I beat her.

For some people, they strive to be the best they can be and more. Some people can just believe they are awsome and make up thinks to back it up. Some people need to be "awsomer" than other people to be awsome. I am one of those people. I do everything at fulll steam and train as hard as I can because I want to be bigger, faster, stronger than everyone else. I am not going to sit here and tell myself I am awsome just cause I can go for a walk.

Not trying to insult anyone. Just want you to hear from the other side. Everyone has their own version of success. Personally, I would need to score more than one goal in 3 years (or whatever it was) for me to be happy.

I was never bad at anything till I tried golf. I was horrible at it. I hated it because of that. My dad told me to just relax and have fun. He didnt understand that for me I couldnt have fun if I wasn't performing well. I now take golf lessons.

Look what this thread has turned into, lol.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    Not trying to insult anyone. Just want you to hear from the other side. Everyone has their own version of success. Personally, I would need to score more than one goal in 3 years (or whatever it was) for me to be happy.
    Depends on the sport, I'd argue. In rugby sometimes I would play hook -- so not many opportunities to run the ball, but still very important to the team and the game. Same for props and locks.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyMac703 View Post
    Depends on the sport, I'd argue. In rugby sometimes I would play hook -- so not many opportunities to run the ball, but still very important to the team and the game. Same for props and locks.
    Ya but, would you be happy if you NEVER hooked the ball? Or whatever it is your suppose to do? Would you be happy if you never did whatever function it was you were suppose to do? Maybe. I wouldnt.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    But I AM a winning athlete. I win against myself often and I win against a lot of supposedly "in-shape" men and women. I've brought some big bad muscle men to their knees, the wimps couldn't handle a little walk in the desert. I'm not the best of the best but I'm better than most. So what?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Heh, times have changed. Where and when I was growing up, that sort of attitude towards getting 'the best' out of the kids was normal. Mom was not doing anything cruel or unusual.
    This brings to my mind a George Carlin piece about "child worshiping". He was a bit harsh on the video, but he did have some valid points.
    Few but ripe.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.

― William W. Purkey

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by egrok View Post
    I think women also refer to women who look like this as bulky: Hot or Not: Female Bodybuilders

and not something they would like to look like. I wouldn't mind looking like the 5th girl (blonde, green nike shirt), or maybe the 7th (brunette, pink shirt), but some of them have much bigger arms and chest than I would ever care for.

What do you think of these girls? How many hours a day at the gym do you think they have to spend to look like that? Do you think they do split-routines or whole body routines?
    That takes years of work and dedication. No woman will ever accidently end up looking like that just as no man will ever end up accidently looking like Arnie.

If you want to get that sort of body start a whole body bb program until you are no longer a beginner then switch to a novice program. By then you will know enough to know what to do. Don't be so caught up in bulking and cutting. Keep eating primal. After beginner gains run out you will be lucky to put on 2 pounds of genuine muscle a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman_Sam View Post
    You are not alone. Most women I talk to think simply doing weights = you get big. It's VERY common. The logic goes like this:

I see bulky muscular men.

These men go to the Gym.

Therefore, the Gym makes you bulky.

But they forget about the most important thing. DIET. If you don't have s consistent surplus, you CANNOT bulk. But you wait until you get a woman pumping iron in the gym, her body becomes totally hot within weeks if she continues to eat at maintenance.
    lol.

Women are blind to the majority of gym goers. Most guys in the gym are very average looking. Where I train you would be lucky to see a big guy for every 20 average guys in the gym. All those big guys have put in the time, dedication and sweat to get where they are.
    If getting big were as easy as everyone with no lifting experience thinks it is every man would look like Arnie.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Leida is offline Senior Member
    If you want to get that sort of body start a whole body bb program until you are no longer a beginner then switch to a novice program. By then you will know enough to know what to do. Don't be so caught up in bulking and cutting. Keep eating primal. After beginner gains run out you will be lucky to put on 2 pounds of genuine muscle a month.
    That's exactly the simplistic 'recipe' that I hate seeing. It's not going work for most people. Period. Only the starry-eyed beginners and can believe in this kind of statement (and I used to, as well). Oh, and I also went through a few periods, OMG, I am awsome and I don't give a care what my body looks like, as long as I can squat 150 lbs, WOOT. It doesn't last long. Stalling for months and years everywhere is a great way to get the rose-tinted glasses off.

Again, just lifting heavy things with whatever effing routine you want, doing proper cardio, and eating primal, CW, whole foods, Marcian... not gonna cut it. That's why majority of people you see in the lifting room in the gym are not looking like they stepped from the fitness magazine cover.
    Last edited by Leida; 11-01-2012 at 07:11 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast