Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The whole bulky woman thing page 6

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    Are you saying if someone does a program like starting strength, after they have hit their limits, isolation lifting would be better?
    Only when you have absolutely exhausted it. As in, done microloading, several deloads and resets and simply do not make any progress (as in, no new weight on the bar for like, a month). Then it's time to try an SS tweak, like Texas Method or Onus Wunsler or something, and exhaust that the same way. Then if you specifically want hypertrophy, a split would work for you - but it should still include compound heavies.

That said, plenty of people have made gains doing splits from the beginning. But it's not optimal. Very slow.

ETA: if hypertrophy isn't a concern and pure strength is a priority, just keep going with an SS hybrid indefinitely. Keep all the main lifts and just switch out the accessory exercises when they stop working.
    Last edited by Miscellangela; 10-30-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Point being, anyone can have any body, it just comes down to what you're willing to sacrifice to get it.
    Please, do tell me how I can get a body like those BB women. So far for 3 years I lifted heavy (5x5, 3x5, Madcow, Wendler), starved, bulked up and cut, Leangained, cardio'd, did HIIT, bootcamps, get certified as a group fitness instructor, staggered macros and calories, belly danced, went to steam room, ran 4x a week, drunk dandelion tea and creatine among other things, and I am still plump. I am putting in 2 hrs a day at least for Lyle McDonald's training regimen.

I did not run a marathon. I doubt that it's the way. Everything else I think I did. Well, I did not stripersize.

Please, tell me, WHAT do I need to sacrifice to get THAT body??? Because I will do it. I WANT to be big and lean. HOW?
    Last edited by Leida; 10-30-2012 at 03:35 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    That looks like Lee Priest in a bikini. I am scarred for life now. Thanks.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

You have to get big first (no starving), then lean out. Lift heavy, skip the cardio. Lift hard, eat big and rest. Once you reach a goal (for instance, 1.5x bodyweight squat), reduce the calories, add some metcons, continue to lift heavy as you can until you reach your body fat goal.

Trying to get big (which requires excess calories) and lean (which requires fewer calories) at the same time is just setting you up for failure. Depending upon how "plump" you are, you may be able to recomp a bit by lifting heavy (no cardio) and eating maintenace calories. Your scale weight wouldn't change, but your body would draw on some fat stores to provide energy as long as you're eating enough for muscle recovery (maintenance). But this only works to a point, especially for women, and doubly especially for women over 35.

The girls in those pictures most likely do bulk/cut cycles, but that can be counterproductive if incorrectly managed. Go for recomp first, then prioritize.

BeatlesFan is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Please, do tell me how I can get a body like those BB women. So far for 3 years I lifted heavy (5x5, 3x5, Madcow, Wendler), starved, bulked up and cut, Leangained, cardio'd, did HIIT, bootcamps, get certified as a group fitness instructor, staggered macros and calories, belly danced, went to steam room, ran 4x a week, drunk dandelion tea and creatine among other things, and I am still plump. I am putting in 2 hrs a day at least for Lyle McDonald's training regimen.

I did not run a marathon. I doubt that it's the way. Everything else I think I did. Well, I did not stripersize.

Please, tell me, WHAT do I need to sacrifice to get THAT body??? Because I will do it. I WANT to be big and lean. HOW?
    No pics.... but if you are still plump, you just gotta try harder

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I have decided it's dumb to try to go for a look unless figure competition or body building competition is your goal. The only thing you should try to do is become stronger. If you try to become stronger, you will build muscle and bone to protect your health as you get older. It turns on beneficial hormones and whatever else in your body. It builds confidence. It makes you able to do more things physically. And, if you aren't completely broken, your body should just take care of itself and become the best it can be.

I decided to start lifting weights because I got tired of being sore every time I did anything. I want to have real and lasting strength. I don't want to be a cripple whenever I clean my tub.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have decided it's dumb to try to go for a look unless figure competition or body building competition is your goal. The only thing you should try to do is become stronger. If you try to become stronger, you will build muscle and bone to protect your health as you get older. It turns on beneficial hormones and whatever else in your body. It builds confidence. It makes you able to do more things physically. And, if you aren't completely broken, your body should just take care of itself and become the best it can be.

I decided to start lifting weights because I got tired of being sore every time I did anything. I want to have real and lasting strength. I don't want to be a cripple whenever I clean my tub.

Aha! See, you get it now.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Who says I didn't? I started with core fitness classes 10 months ago. Well, not counting the fact that I could already out-hike 99% of the people out there. I had to start somewhere.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post

And that's why I am doing my particular combo of bodyweight (Convict Conditioning) and KBs (Viking warrior Protocol) - I want functional strength with muscle stamina.

It also helps relieve the pressure from work.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I greatly doubt any woman is afraid to look like that:

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast