Thread: help steps getting off laxatives? page

Alykat is offline Member

help steps getting off laxatives?

Shop Now
    Please help with this one - advise or experience on how to do this successfully...
    I have been vegan for almost 26 years (now adding in meats again, YAY!!). The last 10 years no grains vegan yet still needed osmotic forms of laxative (mag. citrate and or vitamin C in higher doses) all these years.

Will anyone share some steps i can take to just get off this stuff and enjoy a normal paleo diet and have BM's without laxatives?

Thank you!! its a hard question to ask but really need to get on with life and not rely on something to move the bowels....

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    How long have you been trying paleo? It may take some time, but using mag citrate or Vitamin C is safe enough to continue. Your body may adjust on its own. Do you consume any probiotics?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Alykat is offline Member
    The vit. c and/or magnesium result in loose stools yet without them i have constipation.
    i was pretty low fat too so i am hopeful that adding in some good fats will take their place???
    what do you think?

protein foods always constipated me that is why i stayed vegan for so long. I was even a raw vegan for a number of yrs.
    After reading thru the forum i am learning that more fats and less protein keep your bowels working...

But i do use fermented foods i make myself. i try different brands of probiotics but nothing miraculous has happened there.

I am really really considering doing the GAPS approach with bone broths, beef stocks, fatty animal meats and pureed veggies along with fermented veggies. along with omitting the supplements to see how my body does.

it was drilled into my head that we need to have more than one BM a day or at least 1 daily. Is there any evidence that this is correct or not so?

BigJilm is offline Senior Member
    theres evidence of anything you want, but I poop every 2-3 days and Im healthy...

...well for the most part
    I'll be back

Alykat is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJilm View Post
    theres evidence of anything you want, but I poop every 2-3 days and Im healthy...

...well for the most part
    Love that BigJilm

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    i was vegan for about 13 years, and just started eating meat in May of this year. Welcome to the ex-vegan club! Anyway, there are a few things that I've found helpful. One is to eat soups, like just any type of chunks of food that have basically been soaking in liquid. The other is eating lots of leafy greens. I know you said you've been vegan, so assuming you already eat plenty of greens. But then again, I've known plenty of vegans who never touch a raw veggie as well.

Alykat is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    i was vegan for about 13 years, and just started eating meat in May of this year. Welcome to the ex-vegan club! Anyway, there are a few things that I've found helpful. One is to eat soups, like just any type of chunks of food that have basically been soaking in liquid. The other is eating lots of leafy greens. I know you said you've been vegan, so assuming you already eat plenty of greens. But then again, I've known plenty of vegans who never touch a raw veggie as well.
    Wow, greens help you! Just the opposite here :-(
    But I was a RAW vegan so I've overloaded my system with only raw produce and now my body reject bulking veggies.
    I like your soup idea! I find it helps.

Have you ever cut out veggies for a period? I was thinking rare meats (if not raw), along with broths and/or fermented veggies (fermented to where they are super soft) would be really heling for the gut.

I run a lot of ideas thru my head but still am gradually lowering my fiber before I dive in for a high meat diet experiment.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    There is a whole thread devoted to the "whoosh" effect of coconut cream... That said I'm guessing more animal fats are going to help you over time. Your whole system probably needs to adjust.
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...