Thread: Food additives in my eggs? page

musajen is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I've found a brand of eggs that I like at the local grocery store that are "known" for their rich golden yolks and I have to say I'm impressed with the flavor. Especially in comparison with the organic, cage-free, pastured eggs I've been able to find in the local grocery stores (haven't found a farm to supply me yet). The organic, cage-free, pastured one's I've found have had really bland colored yolks with equally bland flavor. The brand I like claims to be natural but doesn't indicate that they are cage-free or pastured.

My question? Are there things manufacturer's can do with eggs after they're laid to mess with the color and flavor?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

They drill a tiny hole only a few microns of diameter and insert a needle through which they insert Red #2 dye.

Jus' kidding!

Usually that's a sign that chickens are getting real protein, bugs, like nature intended them to eat. We had a thread here a few weeks ago about this all vegetable diet of the chickens is poppycock. Just something the unknowing public thinks it's good. Just the opposite.

The other possibility is not so pleasant: They are feeding animal protein to the chickens. That's how Mad Cow Disease got propagated, they think.

goodfriendsam Guest

Farmers use a range of food supplements to various effects. They probably have a secret feed recipe. It may or may not have to do with protein.

But natural doesn't mean squat; you should find some local farmers market eggs if you can.

AFAIK, and I admit that I'm no poultry farmer, yellow yolks are only had with animal protein, either insect or slaughterhouse byproducts. No secrets here.

Almost forty years ago my ex and I started by eggs from the health food store. No such thing as organic back then, although my garden was. The eggs were produced locally and what we now call "free range." Again, we didn't know of such things then!

The eggs were costly and we were poor, but they were worth it! Deep yellow yolks, powerful flavor. When served to guests without mentioning anything about them, inevitably there were raves.

Sadly, the American public thinks a vegetarian diet for the chickens is good for them. Not.

musajen is offline Junior Member

Yeah, I'm really skeptical of the "natural" claim, especially since the eggs are so cheap in comparison to organic (about $2.50 for 18). But they have the deepest golden yolks I've seen out of anything from the store, including organic free-range eggs that I paid twice as much for.

I would love to get eggs from local farmers but so far haven't had luck tracking one down and we don't have a farmers market in my area. So in the meantime...guess I'll stick with my cheapo golden yolks and hope they're not munching on animal protein.

Clint is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure about food additives or anything, but the "natural" label on eggs, literally, doesn't mean anything.

The egg came out of a chicken, hence, it's natural. That is all that is required to label them as such. Where the chicken lived, what it ate, etc doesn't even play a role.

Clint: LOL! Yes, even with good honest efforts by the FDA, the results aren't always so.

I would use the yolk color as the ultimate test for egg quality short of lab tests.