Thread: Primal for pyroluria? page

@lex is offline Senior Member

Primal for pyroluria?

Shop Now
    My sister has been having issues with depression and anxiety for the past several months and she told me that her doctor diagnosed her with pyroluria. Now, I'm not sure if she actually has it since the opinions on this condition range from people swearing it's real to others saying it's absolute quackery, but her doctor recommended a paleo diet and B6 and zinc supplements. So, anyone out there have or know someone who has this condition? If so, have you/they tried a paleo diet with any success in treating it?

Here's a link with detailed info > Pyroluria - A Hidden Disorder

I'm honestly skeptical, but if it can help my sister out then I'm willing to go all in on it.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

jaye is offline Senior Member
    That's a great link! Thanks.

I believe my husband has it. But we only are discovering it now, after being paleo for a year and his Zinc levels haven't come up (even with supplementation). I ordered a pyroluria urine test online for him to try to confirm it.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    @lex....I'd honestly look at it in the same way that I look at anything. Will eating paleo cure X. I don't know, but it's not a risky proposition to eat healthier and assume that your body in being better nourished will become healthier.

I honestly can not think of anyone that I would NOT recommend the paleo diet to (with obvious tweaks for certain disorders). So yes I think its a great idea. Wish your sister all the best!

Quote Originally Posted by jaye View Post
    That's a great link! Thanks.

I believe my husband has it. But we only are discovering it now, after being paleo for a year and his Zinc levels haven't come up (even with supplementation). I ordered a pyroluria urine test online for him to try to confirm it.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    She said she had low levels of zinc and B6 and a pretty high copper levels, which seems to be in line with a classic diagnosis of it. The more I research this stuff, the more I see it in my family. Thankfully, I haven't had any issues with it, but I can name 5 immediate family members off the top of my head who show symptoms.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Of course if she has trouble with too much copper it would stand to reason she should not be eating too much beef liver.

She doesn't eat offal, but I did send her off with 20 something pounds of GF beef this morning when she stopped by. I just got off the phone with her and told her that she'll need to get her copper levels under control in addition to balancing her zinc and B6, since it seems heavy metal toxicity from copper can be a major factor in the severity of pyroluria.