Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a.......spoon full of sugar! page

Screamer is offline Member

Just a.......spoon full of sugar!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi everyone,

So tell me, when I have my coffee, what can i replace the one sugar i usually have with?

also, if i happen to have a good old cup of yorkshire tea, what should i use as milk?

We've been looking into farmers markets that sell RAW milk which is going to be interesting to try

Thanks
    Jodie

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    One sugar is fine. Sure, raw honey or maple syrup is always better but seriously a spoon of sugar has about 15 calories. Completely insignificant. If you like the taste of coconut cream/milk in coffee that could also work.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Sugar is generally empty calories. It won't kill you to have a teaspoon or so with your coffee, but you might do better to choose blackstrap molasses, maple syrup, or raw honey which all have various health benefits so at least they're not ENTIRELY empty calories. Or better yet, if you can tolerate it, use stevia.

Non-dairy options are coconut milk, coconut oil... Some folks here are fond of bulletproof coffee/tea which is coffee or tea with a tablespoon of butter or coconut oil in it. The addition of the fat generally means that creamer is not necessary. And the caffein plus the highly energizing medium chain triglyceride fats can potentially provide good energy for hours.

I typically drink my coffee and tea straight, no sweetener, creamer, or added fats though. But that's just my preference.

Screamer is offline Member
    Ooh what's Stevia? Never even heard of it.

AHHH so THAT's what bulletproof coffee is, i had heard of it but just presumed it was just really good ground coffee like fairtrade or organic - pure basically!

I don't drink my tea with any sugars or anything and drink lots of herbal teas although i'm wondering if they are ok now too?

Just trying to think whether to have cream or full fat RAW milk in my tea if anything else? I can easily get used to coffee without sugar again if i need to

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    I have a teaspoon of sugar and cream in my coffee everymorning, but usually just the morning cup, I drink black every other time.

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    I'm a European who's been living in the UK for a while so I've always done the "weird" thing here, i.e. I have my tea black. Adding milk always seemed weird. I used to have sugar with it but ever since going primal I just have it black, no sugar please As your taste buds change by cutting out sugar in general you should be able to tolerate and even appreciate it in time I think.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    My hubby uses Stevia in his coffee (Nu Naturals liquid) he said there was a weird aftertaste when he first started using it but after using it about a week, he no longer noticed the aftertaste & now when he uses sugar... The Sugar has a nasty aftertaste...
    Stevia dosent trigger sweet cravings for him but sugar does.
    I dont drink Coffee but I sometimes have chia tea & usallu use a few drops of stevia + a small spoon of coconut sugar. I get the sweetness from the stevia with the flavor from the coconut sugar.. without having to use a large amount of the sugar.. (so sue me, I like my chia fairly sweet)
    I ether use Butter or double cream from the local dairy in my chia.
    Hubby has switched to drinking his coffee black most of the time,(Good quality coffee ) but with butter if he wants a "special" coffee.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

@lex is offline Senior Member
    A teaspoon of sugar in your coffee is fine, even Mark uses sugar in his coffee last I heard. Personally, I drink my coffee black with molasses in it, but you could use coconut milk. Some people add butter to their coffee, and while I've never tried it, some people absolutely love it.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
    Ooh what's Stevia? Never even heard of it.

AHHH so THAT's what bulletproof coffee is, i had heard of it but just presumed it was just really good ground coffee like fairtrade or organic - pure basically!

I don't drink my tea with any sugars or anything and drink lots of herbal teas although i'm wondering if they are ok now too?

Just trying to think whether to have cream or full fat RAW milk in my tea if anything else? I can easily get used to coffee without sugar again if i need to
    Stevia is a calorie-free sweetener that comes from the tropical South American plant of the same name. It comes from a plant as was just said, so it is not synthetically made using overly dangerous chemicals like most artificial sweeteners. You can buy it as a liquid extract which might be the best way to do it, or as a powder made with either inulin fiber or various sugar alcohols. Skip the powders that include "dextrose" as an ingredient as that is, well, sugar.

Herbal teas are fine as long as it's made from pure herbs and not some "flavored blend" from a commercial company that contains crap like soy lecithin. Companies like Biggelow Teas and Celestial Seasonings are notorious for adding crap like that to their "all natural" herbal blends. Yeah, that's all natural alright. Check your ingredients first, or better yet, make your own herbal blends using whole herbs for yourself.

Again, if you can drink coffee black, don't know why you can't with tea. If anything, it is lighter in flavor than coffee is and would seem to be EASIER to drink black. Perhaps you need to simply switch from those low-quality tea bags to a high-quality loose leaf tea and learn how to get a proper brew out of it?

Tea made with full leaves and brewed up properly is way less bitter and astringent than a cheap bag overstepped in scalding hot water which causesnthe "tea dust" to burn. Ick.

It's not that a little cream or milk in your tea will kill you, but a properly made cuppa is a whole new experience. I used to add cream or milk myself until I realized that if I made it right and with good quality stuff, I didn't need it.

And by the way, loose leaf black teas made with a good tippy leaf blend can be brewed more than once, so you actually save money per cup. Not to mention getting three brews from white/Chinese green teas, tw o brews from good Japanese green tea leaves, up to five brews from one cups worth of oolong leaves, and up to 15 or more from a cup's worth of good pu'erh leaves.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    You might try dextrose. It's not as sweet because it all glucose with no fructose
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast