Thread: Formal Critique of the book "Wheat Belly" page

Brent* is offline Senior Member

Formal Critique of the book "Wheat Belly"

Shop Now
    Just finished reading this critique of the book "Wheat Belly" by William Davis, and am curious if you guys are familiar with the review of the book, and what your thoughts are on it? Over 100 references to refute what Davis said:

Wheat Belly

And while the lady that wrote the review has ties to the grain industry (shocker), I still would be curious to know how Dr. Davis would respond to it. (I'm not going to immediately dismiss it just because of her ties).

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if Dr. Davis is aware. I will share this with him on his facebook page.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    I am sure the book isn't for everyone, but it really spoke to me. I have really hard time not buying extra copies to hand people at the mall or even my gym. I know Wheat Free isn't the all for everyone, but it sure has made my life easier and my butt smaller...gut too.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    I actually read a critique of his book from a gluten free website. Apparently, some of the studies he references are shaky. I was a bit sad to find that out.

melissahayes is offline Junior Member
    Its funny to read the malarkey about calories- calories calories calories!!! When will they figure it out?!! I mean I eat way more calories than I used to- and I lost weight and cured all of my hormone issues! I am a lunch lady for a public middle school- and the new USDA guidelines for schools are truly tragic! It is all about calories. They are literally starving the kids!! All the foods we serve are genetically engineered to contain certain calorie guidelines- fat and sodium being the main offenders. So they are engineering food with gen modified soy and corn. The only "real" food we serve are fruit and salad- and most kids don't eat those- they only eat the pizza or foster farms government issued poultry products!

valmason01 is online now Senior Member
    What Dr. Davis teaches is not much different than paleo/primal. Just lower carb. Yes it is hard to know what is right /wrong/true/false. Which is to me why you have to do your own N=1. Experiment until you get it right. For me going off wheat/grains taught me I was gluten intolerant. Then I realized I had candida overgrowth in the gut. Finally got all that resolved. Sadly a couple of weeks ago I decided I could eat some organic corn chips. And then some more. And then some frozen tater tots because ..hmmm,, I just don't feel good and don't want to cook..Wonder why?? So..my N=1 says Dr. Davis has got something going.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I have read the article before so don't really want to go through it again...one thing that struck me at the time was they would make a Dr Davis' point then instead of responding directly would argue around or to the side of the point.

PS
    Dr Davis' studies may be sketchy as they claim but far less sketchy than the studies they come up with showing grain is good for you.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 10-26-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    There twist on insulin release may technically correct but they try and twist the argument to include milk which can cause a high release even though it is low GI. The point Dr D is making is that an omelette is a much healthier breakfast than toast and will cause a smaller release if any.

They typically try to down play the massive changes made to wheat.

And this one on Celiacs gaining weigh is the killer though. As they point out there are numerous studies that show Celiacs have a higher BMI once they stick to gluten free diets full of starch...of course they do Dr D and everyone her abhors that gluten free boxed crap that many celiacs are encouraged to eat in their gluten free lifestyle. Although they did not mean too they have actually proved Dr D's point and the Primal BluePrint that people should be eating real food not the processed crap that they produce.

That is just some of the blatant misdirection there is a lot more there - just follow the money.

PS sorry spare time at work so could resist taking a quick re-peek
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    One of the things i remember from Chris masterjohns review was about how terrible oatmeal is due to the sulfuric acid. He compares it to battery acid. Then he shows a graph that oatmeal contains more sulfuric acid than meat per 100g. What he doesn't mention was that the sulfuric acid content was per grams of protein, so to get the amount of sulfuric acid found in a small steak you would literally have to eat bowls and bowls of oatmeal. That tells me he's either very sloppy in his fact checking or he's extremely intellectually dishonest.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    One of the things i remember from Chris masterjohns review was about how terrible oatmeal is due to the sulfuric acid. He compares it to battery acid. Then he shows a graph that oatmeal contains more sulfuric acid than meat per 100g. What he doesn't mention was that the sulfuric acid content was per grams of protein, so to get the amount of sulfuric acid found in a small steak you would literally have to eat bowls and bowls of oatmeal. That tells me he's either very sloppy in his fact checking or he's extremely intellectually dishonest.
    Makes you wonder about Masterjohn's theories re LDL-C....