Thread: Ordinary grain-fed beef -- a strategy page

phusisphilo is offline Junior Member

Ordinary grain-fed beef -- a strategy

Primal Fuel
    If you must buy ordinary meats buy the leanest cuts: e.g. flank steak in place of fatty sirloin.

If the grain-induced unfavorable omega 6:3 imbalance is concentrated in the fats, and markedly less so in the lean protein, then this may be a way to, in part, manage the omega 6 overload commonly encountered.

Marinating these tougher cuts, as in a lemon/onion soup mixture tenderizes them and renders them succulent.

The other deficiencies of feedlot beef are by no means entirely corrected but the omega 6 problem may well be greatly relieved.

All comments and helpful rejoinders heartily welcomed.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think the omega 6 "overload" is way overblown. Most of the fat in beef fat is saturated and monounsaturated fat. Only a small amount is polyunsaturated. I eat grainfed beef often (actually, it's simply unspecified and I assume it's grain finished). I can get ribeye that is pretty lean for $8/lb and fatty grassfed ribeye for $20-$25/lb. So if I want beef, what do you think I'm going to do most of the time? Get regular beef and eat a lot of salmon and sardines.
    Fat (1 Tbsp) Saturated (grams) Mono-unsaturated (grams) Poly-unsaturated (grams) Trans-fat (grams)
    Beef Tallow 6.4 5.4 0.5 0.0
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    P.S. I don't know about where you live, but I do know that out here in the West cattle are grazed on public lands and sent to a feedlot for a few weeks at the end of life. So basically the CAFO beef out here is grass-fed, grain-finished.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I buy grass-fed ground beef, chuck roast, ground lamb, and pasture-raised ground pork, pork chops, bacon, and pork shoulder roast because I can usually get those for under $8.00 an lb, usually more in the $7.00 range. But then, the steaks start getting up there in price, as do the more pricey roast cuts and lamb chops, ect.

So for those cuts, I simply accept the prices and get the grain-fed stuff. And yes, fatty fish can help on weeks were I venture into a cut that I have to buy grain-fed.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    I would be more worried about the hormones, antibiotics and water added to the meat than the grain. Once you grass fed though...no going back.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    I would be more worried about the hormones, antibiotics and water added to the meat than the grain. Once you grass fed though...no going back.
    This is mostly the reason I try to stick to grass-fed and pasture-raised as much as I can.

Although I don't fuss about it on the off-chance that for some reason (eating out or cost), this isn't a possibility.