Thread: The Greek Yogurt Mystery Deepens page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I decided to start a second thread on Greek Yogurt instead of adding to the first one.

In it, I mentioned that the flavor was a big "sheepy," the carbs were really low, and the calories were just a few more than the cheap store stuff because of the lack of sugar.

I also asked the burning question, "Just what makes it 'Greek'?" So at the Publix store today I checked out their Greek yogurts. The first was low and no fat, I never even looked at the nutrition label. From those traditional Greek low fat cows, I guess. The second one didn't say low fat, but it was loaded with sugar. Greek sugar, presumably. (Sarcasm.)

I guess that the yogurt makers just take something and call it Greek. The Greeks should sue them!

lakina is offline Junior Member

The simple difference between greek "style" yogurt and what we're used to considering "regular" yogurt is the amount of whey left in the yogurt after fermentation. Greek yogurt is strained longer, leaving more solids and less liquid. This results in a thicker, creamier texture and a higher protein/fat percentage.

You can easily change cheap yogurt into greek "style" yogurt by hanging it in cheesecloth over a bowl to let the whey seep out (it's amazing how much whey is actually in a large container of yogurt!). If you strain it long enough it actually becomes the consistency of cream cheese and can be used as a spread or dip. It's delicious as a dip for crudites with a bit of sauted (or powdered) garlic and herbs mixed in.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Wow! At last someone has an answer here!

Thanks!

freshbakedpi is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I wanted to add that traditional greek yogurt was cultured using bacteria specific to the region (obviously, heh) It fed heavily on rich cream making it thick to begin with, then strained to produce a thicker than thick true cream cheese.

I don't know (& somehow doubt ;o) ) if commercial "greek yogurt" is made with that culture, but I make my own cream yogurt using cream feeding bacteria & it does have a sheepy head to it.

But yes! You can strain any type of yogurt, though the less cream/fat in the yogurt the less end product you will acheive. You will, however, be drowning in whey ;o)