Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Potatoes For Weight Loss and Health page 7

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well enough Heatseeker, but the douchbag stuff is adolescent and reinforces the critique of the almost religious fervor of these 2 threads about "tat/ers/ors"
    Yeah... again, no one was protesting the content. I've been plenty vocal about how odd and ridiculous the potato thing sounds, regardless of whether it works or not. It was the way pklopp's content was presented that people protested. If you want to call "not enjoying being belittled" the same thing as "religious fervor"... you're certainly free to do that, but it's a gross misread of the situation.

Adolescent is a bad thing? These are the MDA forums, right?

I think the satiety thing will work in all cases, but meat will provide the best results in terms of body composition. Just my thoughts.
    I totally agree. The lack of protein in the potato experiment is what troubles me, which is why I'd be interested to see the results of consuming pure protein (so like, whey isolate) alongside the potatoes while maintaining a caloric deficit, as someone upthread mentioned, to see if the same fat loss benefits can be had while maintaining muscle. But I kinda think it wouldn't work as well. Again, really, I have zero evidence to back up this gut theory. All I know is that pure potatoes seems to be working for people where everything else has failed.

My personal opinion is that the potato thing is a perfect storm of success variables: it's cheap, it requires little thought or planning, there's no "but what about..." factor--JUST EAT POTATOES, it's weird/offbeat enough that there's the "personal challenge" aspect as motivation, and the satiety + caloric restriction just makes it all come together.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like heaven. I wasn't doing so hot on high fat, low carbs though, but that was with moderate protein. 2lb of steak and 8 eggs would put my fat at 35%, which 30 - 40 is where I lose weight. Oh I forgot the butter. 2TBL would put me at 41% fat, still doable. However the calories are about twice what I eat now........

But I could live on steak and eggs I think, and maybe throw me in a tator now and then

I am guessing I could get by with 6 eggs and way less steak and get the calories down, if calories make a difference.
    Last edited by gopintos; 10-25-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    I'm not saying it's hokum. I'm saying it has to do with appetite control : satiety. Potatoes literally fill you up, while other foods not so much. It is this "filling up" that leads you to eat less and lose weight. That's it. Fasting does the same thing, but doesn't monkey about with satiety. You simply accept that you will go hungry for a bit, and get on with it.
    I still don't get what your quarrel is. This is exactly what people have been saying throughout that entire thread.

Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    That is, indeed, exactly why it works. Everyone already knows this. What are you even arguing?
    Yeah, that's exactly what I thought, too. What's the argument here?

Perhaps the problem is that pklopp is unhappy that people can obtain calorie restriction without hunger? There are a lot of stoic people out there who believe that suffering is an important part of weight loss (since it was hedonism and gluttony that caused the problem to begin with, there ought to be some suffering as righteous punishment for their sins, right?). Their worldview is certainly challenged by something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I havent looked, is there a thread on that? Sometimes I think I would like to try an all or most protein sometime.
    I actually think that an all meat diet would be something I'd more likely do. Meat with both lean and fat. Natural meat is nearly impossible for me to overeat and it leaves me feeling healthy and vibrant. Seemed to work well for Vilhjalmur Stefansson (who did not do it to lose weight but proved it could be done while maintaining perfect health and not getting scurvy).

In case anyone cares, I have not done the potato diet. I did two full days of it, plus two half days, but that's all. I just wanted to see what it was like to eat such bland food for a whole day. I was glad I did it because it showed me something about food reward and that potatoes are good food to eat so I've decided to put them back into my diet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_jessjane View Post
    ..Are those water bottles made specifically for douching or enemas??!

The Old School 'Steak and Eggs' Diet for Fat Loss, Balanced Energy, and Increased Testosterone | BOLD & DETERMINED Nobody hear of this? ;-)
    I think for both.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I still don't get what your quarrel is. This is exactly what people have been saying throughout that entire thread.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought, too. What's the argument here?

Perhaps the problem is that pklopp is unhappy that people can obtain calorie restriction without hunger? There are a lot of stoic people out there who believe that suffering is an important part of weight loss (since it was hedonism and gluttony that caused the problem to begin with, there ought to be some suffering as righteous punishment for their sins, right?). Their worldview is certainly challenged by something like this.

I actually think that an all meat diet would be something I'd more likely do. Meat with both lean and fat. Natural meat is nearly impossible for me to overeat and it leaves me feeling healthy and vibrant. Seemed to work well for Vilhjalmur Stefansson (who did not do it to lose weight but proved it could be done while maintaining perfect health and not getting scurvy).

In case anyone cares, I have not done the potato diet. I did two full days of it, plus two half days, but that's all. I just wanted to see what it was like to eat such bland food for a whole day. I was glad I did it because it showed me something about food reward and that potatoes are good food to eat so I've decided to put them back into my diet.
    Really? People have been arguing throughout that it's all about soluble and insoluble fibre and not some potato / rice specific effect? So, people have been saying that you can achieve the same results with an essential fatty acid protein cocktail as long as you load up on metamucil to swell the stomach and slow gastric emptying? I honestly missed that. It may have been buried somewhere in the middle of the thread.

My argument is that it is far more beneficial to get your essential fatty acids and protein, and then make up for satiation with fiber, whether that be in the form of cabbage, cucumbers, leafy greens, apples, flax meal, or even metamucil, if that's your thing. It is not an anti-glucose argument, although some have seen fit to make that straw man equivalent to my position, and then proceed to beat the daylights out of it. It is a pro-protein, essential fatty acid argument.

That's my beef ... there's no beef.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    My argument is that it is far more beneficial to get your essential fatty acids and protein, and then make up for satiation with fiber, whether that be in the form of cabbage, cucumbers, leafy greens, apples, flax meal, or even metamucil, if that's your thing. It is not an anti-glucose argument, although some have seen fit to make that straw man equivalent to my position, and then proceed to beat the daylights out of it. It is a pro-protein, essential fatty acid argument.
    I mean... yeah. Obviously. No one disputes this.

I think the thing you're still missing is that the potato thing is less "OMG I have found THE WAY, everybody, just eat potatoes forever and ever because they have magic and will make you thin" and more "I discovered that this weird trick actually works; anyone up for a one-week test of willpower plus fun with body hacks?"

No one is throwing out Primal. People are just having temporary fun with a bizarre challenge that happens to work for most people who try it. No one is suggesting that this is The Way, The Only Way, The Best Way, or even really A Good Way. It's just a thing that is interesting to try and that works. You're making a mountain out of a molehill. You're creating an argument where there is none. No one disagrees with you that Potato Life (like Thug Life, only starchier) is wholly unsustainable and not an adequate long-term nutrition choice. No one disagrees with you that eating protein and fat along with starch is healthier and more beneficial than eating nothing but starch. The potato thing is just a fun little one-off trick. It's not a lifestyle choice. I promise. Okay?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Wow. The need to debunk a 7-10 day potato "fast." And not even legitimately.

I'll play. I will drink 1000 calories per day of a legitimate vodka made from potatoes. In addition I'll eat 1g of fried fish per kg of bodyweight. If I don't lose weight, I'll have accomplished.... um nothing.

I will be too drunk to start a website, but if I did, it would be vodkafast.com.

There are tons of people who crash off 10 or 15 pounds and never get sick. Some do it just on water, some on leeks, some on juice, protein shakes, broth, etc. It's just not that big a deal. If Otzi had proposed something dangerous for a long period of time, I could see board outrage. But potatoes for ten days? really?

Having followed the original potato thread from the beginning, I never got the feeling that anyone thought potatoes were magic. Just filling/satiating.

And adding in the protein is about as legitimate as calling a culture who eats animal flesh 13x a month and lives on dairy the rest of the time "almost vegan." As a group we laughed at that "science." I think everyone except potato haters will laugh at this.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    What a pompous rhetoric.
    Potatoes are extremely cheap, easy to prepare, have a good nutrient profile and have the highest satiety rating out any food. Perfect practical weight loss food for a few days mono eating. Protein may be a bit concern depending on how much you're eating, the type of potato and your size/height/frame. I was wondering why the people doing the potato-fest don't add in a bunch of non starchy veges into the diet, you would be improving the nutrient content, the protein content and making the diet much more livable. Broccoli is a pretty high protein food. You could add about 30g of protein for only a few hundred calories. Top it off with some tomato paste and you have a pretty tasty meal.
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    But, this is the quote that sent me over the top:
    ""I'm wondering if you just ate sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes. Better for your gut."
    Yeah, I really flipped out over that one too...
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 10-26-2012 at 03:52 AM.

Damonner is offline Junior Member
    Well, guys I just hate to eat potatoes. Despite of my bad eating habits regarding potatoes I also think that the potato is not much beneficial for health or for weight loss.

hebsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    I totally agree. The lack of protein in the potato experiment is what troubles me, which is why I'd be interested to see the results of consuming pure protein (so like, whey isolate) alongside the potatoes while maintaining a caloric deficit, as someone upthread mentioned, to see if the same fat loss benefits can be had while maintaining muscle. But I kinda think it wouldn't work as well. Again, really, I have zero evidence to back up this gut theory. All I know is that pure potatoes seems to be working for people where everything else has failed.
    ...no need to add in another food group (dairy) -- True Protein just added a new protein product to their list a few months back.
    One 30g scoop of potato protein provides 28.4g (95%) of pure potater proteins!

European Potato Protein Isolate

Amino Acid Profile
    Per 100 grams
    Alanine 2.5
    Arginine 4.8
    AsparticAcid 1.31
    Cystine 2.4
    GlutamicAcid 7.9
    Glycine 5.7
    Histidine 1.8
    Isoleucine 5.9
    Leucine 9.8
    Lysine 7.6
    Methionine 1.1
    Phenylalanine 7
    Proline 5.4
    Serine 4.8
    Threonine 4.7
    Tryptophan 1.5
    Tyrosine 5.5
    Valine 8.6

I want everyone to try this......and I want everyone to use my discount code when ordering...hebs

Get 5% off your True Protein order today!
    At checkout use discount code DEH117

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast