Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Potatoes For Weight Loss and Health page 6

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Honestly I love a good experiment, but you really could chalk this up to "sensory-specific satiety" sensory specific satiety - Google Scholar and just call it a day.

The only way this becomes interesting to me is if we measure fat to lean mass and even throw in the glucose testing as otzi recommends (I actually disagree with him and believe the physiological resistance will reverse in a matter of 1-2 days, since it is a transient adaptation rather than pathological), but we have to leave out the protein.

Then we need to do the same with carrots (or whatever)....and of course we need to do the same thing with a specific animal (meat).

I think the satiety thing will work in all cases, but meat will provide the best results in terms of body composition. Just my thoughts.

Either way go for it Pklopp! I'll be checking in!
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-25-2012 at 06:15 PM.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I am NOT part of the collective of which you speak. pklopp is welcome and appreciated on my part.
    Cool. Describing a particular group of posters as a "collective" doesn't automatically include everyone who has ever posted on these boards. Didn't mean to make you feel included where you didn't want to be.

For the record, I welcome pklopp's scientific curiosity and am interested in the results of his experiments, and I, too, appreciate his willingness to spend more time thinking about and acting on his hypotheses. This stuff fascinates me, as it fascinates most, if not all, of us here. What I (and several others) did not welcome or appreciate was his condescending and belittling tone.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Well enough Heatseeker, but the douchbag stuff is adolescent and reinforces the critique of the almost religious fervor of these 2 threads about "tat/ers/ors"

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I think the satiety thing will work in all cases, but meat will provide the best results in terms of body composition. Just my thoughts.
    I havent looked, is there a thread on that? Sometimes I think I would like to try an all or most protein sometime.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
    Well enough Heatseeker, but the douchbag stuff is adolescent and reinforces the critique of the almost religious fervor of these 2 threads about "tat/ers/ors"
    Obviously you never read the Leptin Reset thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html

Over 2000 pages of fervor!

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    PK, you are a fast master. I am curious, how do you see this any differently than fasting which also is deficient in protein? Neither is talking forever.

A wiseman I once read, had this to say and I will change one word to tator, so it is not an exact quote, but close. I feel this could preface the tator thread as well.
    I don't think it is different from fasting with respect to being protein deficient, given that fasting is completely devoid of all nutrients. The difference is obviously in the duration.

Someone on the monster thread posted that they were eating on the order of 700 calories of potatoes a day. That's 10g of protein. I could eat 9 large hardboiled eggs for dinner, which would give me 698 calories with 56 grams of protein and 48 grams of fat.

Now, how would this affect weightloss, since both diets are isocaloric? I would expect the potato "hack" to result in greater weight loss precisely because it is protein deficient. The body simply cannot synthesize protein from carbohydrates, at best, it needs to break down less essential protein containing tissues to synthesize more critical proteins. The longer you deprive the body of protein, the faster the weight loss due to increasing rates of protein cannibalization.

Ironically, this resembles stage three starvation. What is observed during long term fasts is first a period of glycogen depletion, followed by a period of increased gluconeogenesis, then a long term ketone adapted state that can last for weeks where the principal energy substrate is fat, and the brain is subsisting principally on ketones and some glucose produced from glycerol, pyruvate and lactate.

Eventually, however, the body runs out of fat stores, and turns to the only thing it has left to oxidize : protein. At this point, weight loss is extremely rapid and death shortly follows without immediate intervention.

The really interesting question here is with regards to rates of protein synthesis. When fasting, metabolism basically accommodates and your body goes into self-preservation mode, and you can endure prolonged periods of protein deprivation. If you are periodically spiking insulin with starches exclusively, you are also periodically spiking protein synthesis, although you are not providing the necessary substrate for it, which may result in increased catabolism. This is speculation on my part because I haven't seen any research in this direction yet.

It is for this reason that focusing on weight loss is grossly inadequate for judging the effectiveness of a dietary intervention.

I believe that the original potato diet proponent actually pulled the plug because he was losing weight at an accelerated rate towards the end of it!

Going back to the 9 egg diet, if you were accustomed to eating three meals a day, you might try having, say, two eggs for breakfast, three at lunch, and four at dinner time. I don't know how this would affect your satiety, but I think it might be worth a try. I think overall you would experience a better recomposition than by being protein deprived, albeit at a higher bodyweight.

-PK
    Last edited by pklopp; 10-25-2012 at 07:21 PM.
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

i fully agry these point

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    People are trashing you for your condescending and rude attitude, not because you're trying to delve deeper into the whole potato thing.

I'll just leave this here, it seems relevant.....

Also, if you search google images for the term "douche" it's just a bunch of pictures of guidos, which made me laugh.
    Omg this is the funniest thing I've seen all day, lmao!!!!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    The longer you deprive the body of protein, the faster the weighloss due to increasing rates of protein cannibalization.

Eventually, however, the body runs out of fat stores, and turns to the only thing it has left to oxidize : protein. At this point, weight loss is extremely rapid and death shortly follows without immediate intervention.

Going back to the 9 egg diet ....

-PK
    But what about those that have plenty of fat stores? I would just think that protein cannibalization would be minimal in the presence of plenty of fat stores. No science behind my reasoning, just seems logical. Isn't that why we have fat, for a rainy day.

I had a cousin who lost a lot of weight on a hard boiled egg diet. I never knew the specifics, I was just a kid. Then the whole high cholesterol thing and never heard about it again.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ..Are those water bottles made specifically for douching or enemas??!

The Old School 'Steak and Eggs' Diet for Fat Loss, Balanced Energy, and Increased Testosterone | BOLD & DETERMINED Nobody hear of this? ;-)

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast