pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    snark! i adore snark
    I tend to prefer results.

Good luck with the snark.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    a) I seriously don't understand why you would do the potato thing but also eat 1g/LBM protein per day. That's not the potato thing. That's just eating a lot of potatoes along with your usual food.

b) The point of the potato thing is that it restricts calories without leaving you hungry or totally devoid of nutrients. You're right, potatoes aren't magic, they just happen to be really good at making you feel full and also allowing you complete protein and a bunch of other nutrients. It wouldn't work with strawberries or twinkies or any of the other things mentioned because you'd get incredibly hungry and you wouldn't be getting adequate nutrition.

c) Plain old caloric restriction has a gigantic fail rate. Read literally any thread on these forums started by a woman. That's why we can safely call this a "hack" and not just a crash diet. There is a reason it works the way it does.

d) As Matthew Berry would say, get off your high horse. Chill out. It's just a fun diet hack experiment. Nobody is killing themselves. You're certainly allowed to think it sounds stupid, and get all condescending and Poindextery about it. And then we as a collective are allowed to tell you you're acting like a douche.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    I tend to prefer results.

Good luck with the snark.

-PK
    thanks, it's served me well over the years

Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    a) I seriously don't understand why you would do the potato thing but also eat 1g/LBM protein per day. That's not the potato thing. That's just eating a lot of potatoes along with your usual food.

b) The point of the potato thing is that it restricts calories without leaving you hungry or totally devoid of nutrients. You're right, potatoes aren't magic, they just happen to be really good at making you feel full and also allowing you complete protein and a bunch of other nutrients. It wouldn't work with strawberries or twinkies or any of the other things mentioned because you'd get incredibly hungry and you wouldn't be getting adequate nutrition.

c) Plain old caloric restriction has a gigantic fail rate. Read literally any thread on these forums started by a woman. That's why we can safely call this a "hack" and not just a crash diet. There is a reason it works the way it does.

d) As Matthew Berry would say, get off your high horse. Chill out. It's just a fun diet hack experiment. Nobody is killing themselves. You're certainly allowed to think it sounds stupid, and get all condescending and Poindextery about it. And then we as a collective are allowed to tell you you're acting like a douche.
    yeah, all that
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

@lex is offline Senior Member
    I'm all for finding out the hard science behind something, but you're being obnoxious about it PK. You may not have intended it, but this is coming off as more of an attack thread against the successes of people who have done the whole potato thing more than an unbiased pursuit of the science behind why or if it works. Try to dress it up as much as you want, but being a douche about this is totally unnecessary and uncalled for, and makes the reader question your actual motives for all this. Also, before you try to say my reading comprehension is lacking, it's the context, motives, and attitude of your posts that people are taking issue with, not your actual experiment.

If you had simply said " I'm interested in this so I will be running an experiment to test some theories out, stay tuned for the results", and didn't bother with the negativity, your experiment would be received much more positively. This forum is a place for people to help others and share their experiences, not a pissing contest where you marginalize the successes of others because you don't care for their methods or what they attribute to them.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    but you have abs, so i guess that's one thing you have going for you
    And if one has abs.... it might not work the same? Maybe a person with abs might be prone to lose muscle mass as opposed to a person that has not seen their abs since 1993? Just asking. I really don't know but seems like a fat person would have better luck losing fat than a fit person that is mostly muscle. I mean you can't lose what you don't have (fat) Or seems to me anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Will it work with sweet potatoes, sauerkruat, strawberries, twinkies...I don't know. Never tried. The white potato seems to be the perfect food since it has an extremely high satiety index, actually THE highest, and it is a complete food. Granted, there is not enough protein or fat to sustain high energy demand exercise, but that's never been what this is about.
    OK, just my 2 cents. And I speak in elementary. I try to read alot but the scientific jargon just doesnt stick, so bear with me.

Pklopp - I ADORE your IF thread.

To some, myself included, the thought of a 48 hr fast or 7 day fast, or 10 day fast or more, makes ppl a little crazy. And it makes ppl look at you a little crazy. IMO, this hack is the same as an IF hack is for fasting. And ppl have scientifically written about other hacks for IF & fasting with foods. Like with CO, with butter, with Sauerkraut (basically anything fermented)... and you still get some of the same benefits as fasting. Now this (tators) is not the same as fasting, of course, but I guess where I really wanted to start going with that, is that ppl think I am nuts when I mention fasting and IF also. They just don't get it, that it does have benefits and it does have it's place in my repertoire of tricks. It is not a permanent thing. It is a once in awhile thing, an intermittent thing, for the purpose of producing a specific result. The tator fast (if you want to call it a fast) has a specific goal as well, and that is a hack to lose some fat over the course of 1 - 14 days.

Seems as though the latest debate craze between the scientific big dogs is that of starch, and lots of good evidence to support incorporating tators again. This just takes it one step farther.

Just an experimental hack, just like IF might be the hack for fasting. Kraut might be the hack for IF/fasting. It all just depends on your ultimate goal. Yes, any food might work and create a deficit and maybe that is the real trick at work here, but I think that some foods would definitely work better than others, like the tater over twinkies.

Of course an "all anything" will leave you w/o vitamins and minerals. That is why it is short term. 1 - 14 days. But what if it were long term and you supplemented with vitamins? Look at the dude from 1960 something I think it was (again, I can't remember squat about scientific details) but he was on a water fast for over a YEAR! With only vitamins. I bet he would have loved to have known about tators or kraut. And how about those that can't do the 48 hour fast but something like taters might help to get a few of the same weight loss results. Maybe not the other housecleaning results, but it might help to clean up some fat, and maybe help prepare one to actually do a 48hr w/o food.

I just don't see any difference between doing tators for a couple days here and there, over doing a no food fast for a couple days here and there, not when you are looking for fat loss. Again, I know it might not be the same as a housecleaning fast, but then again, maybe it can be proven that it might do some of the same, if the body is looking for protein, it might still go after the cysts and tumors and all the other dead junk that it looks for when fasting and it doesnt have dietary protein coming in.

Again, I dont know. Just throwing that out there.
    Last edited by gopintos; 10-25-2012 at 03:22 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    And if one has abs.... it might not work the same? Maybe a person with abs might be prone to lose muscle mass as opposed to a person that has not seen their abs since 1993? Just asking. I really don't know but seems like a fat person would have better luck losing fat than a fit person that is mostly muscle. I mean you can't lose what you don't have (fat) Or seems to me anyways.
    i congratulated his success on having visible abdominals because he congratulated me on my choice of avatar
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Also, the notion that you need to eat 1g protein per pound of lean body mass just to maintain muscle mass is, as far as I know, way overblown. That's the kind of protein most people need to build muscle. A diet of all potatoes would provide 40-50g per day even at half of my maintenance calories. That's hardly being starved of protein.

EDIT: That said, assuming all goes well on my first round of this (starting tomorrow), I am planning to do a second round with potatoes + supplemental whey protein after a couple weeks of "recovery", to see if it changes anything.
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 10-25-2012 at 03:26 PM.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    i congratulated his success on having visible abdominals because he congratulated me on my choice of avatar
    not knocking. Just saying. A person with abs (pklopp) might not have the same results of fat loss that a person who hasnt seen their abs since 1993 might have (gopintos). He might very well have more muscle loss since there isnt much fat to lose.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    You guys are all crazy. ;-) You know what's even more crazy? That super hot man doing, like, insane jumping chin-ups on heatseeker's tumbler.... Drool... Yep, toootally more amusing than over-analyzing a crash diet.... ;-)

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Also, the notion that you need to eat 1g protein per pound of lean body mass just to maintain muscle mass is, as far as I know, way overblown. That's the kind of protein most people need to build muscle. A diet of all potatoes would provide 40-50g per day even at half of my maintenance calories. That's hardly being starved of protein.

EDIT: That said, assuming all goes well on my first round of this (starting tomorrow), I am planning to do a second round with potatoes + supplemental whey protein after a couple weeks of "recovery", to see if it changes anything.
    So ... you're saying you are planning to eat 5 lbs. of potatoes a day to get your 50g of daily protein:

Show Foods

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast