Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Potatoes For Weight Loss and Health page 2

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    again, anyone that puts him up on the Expert Pedestal is just shooting him/herself in the foot
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Apparently there are only 250 or so grams of protein in ten days of potatoes according to Otzi. Typical primal diets include 80-150 grams ( sometimes more) of protein DAILY. That little amount provided by the potatoes will do crap for muscle retention.

IF it really does retain muscle, there must be something else going on there that I am not aware of.
    My problem with that entire thread is that any "evidence" proffered is anecdotal. I lost weight. Great. Don't eat for a week and you will also lose weight, potatoes be damned.

What I'm after, and I will pursue for personal interest, are such things as reasonably accurate and frequent measurements of body fat, not just mass measurement via a scale. Ideally you would lose both weight and body fat percentage.

One reason why muscle might be spared would be due to reduced gluconeogenesis, which is partly proteolytic, since one thing is for certain, on this diet, you won't lack for blood glucose!

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I can't believe you would write such a long, supposedly intellectual criticism of the all-potato diet simply because you refuse to admit that glucose, even in large quantities, is safe for human beings to eat.

What's wrong with you, exactly?
    I think I'm fine, for you however, I could recommend remedial reading, unless you are dyslexic, in which case I apologize as I realize reading might be quite difficult for you.

Allow me to summarize: I am going to do a potato fast. I am going to monitor my caloric intake. I am going to eat at my calculated BMR requirement which should result in weight loss as I am not bed ridden. I am going to eat 1g of protein per lb of lean body weight, because I do not believe that potatoes magically preserve muscle mass in the face of woefully inadequate protein content. I am going to chronicle this on my own website where I can keep the insipid comments to a minimum, hopefully.

If that didn't make sense, I can probably make it simpler, but not by much.

Thanks for your remarks.

-PK

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    LOL...this is great. I personally am not the least bit interested in trying it, but I'm happy to read the data from other guinea pigs. One thing though. You need to do some lean mass to fat ratios for before and after (sure you planned on it)...as this is a point that is regularly diverted in the potato thread. "Well I'm pretty sure it was ALL fat".....

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    I think I'm fine, for you however, I could recommend remedial reading, unless you are dyslexic, in which case I apologize as I realize reading might be quite difficult for you.

Allow me to summarize: I am going to do a potato fast. I am going to monitor my caloric intake. I am going to eat at my calculated BMR requirement which should result in weight loss as I am not bed ridden. I am going to eat 1g of protein per lb of lean body weight, because I do not believe that potatoes magically preserve muscle mass in the face of woefully inadequate protein content. I am going to chronicle this on my own website where I can keep the insipid comments to a minimum, hopefully.

If that didn't make sense, I can probably make it simpler, but not by much.

Thanks for your remarks.

-PK
    Ahhhh.....WHAT! Your going to get adequate protein? That totally ruins this for me.

so you're not even going to do it right?

it can't be called a potato fast then and any positive or negative results won't be applicable to the potato thread
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    you know what bugs me about it?

people flipping out over a weight loss hack. it's potatoes for a week, whoop di do. he never advertised himself as a scientific expert, he shared something that worked for him just like everyone else here does

will you lose muscles?! doubtful if you have fat stores
    can i put on a ton of ketchup?! no
    is it safe?! who the hell knows, try it and see how it does for you. it's not like you're injecting heroin for a week, it's effing potatoes
    should i make a big deal about it and trying to make it super scientifical?! i wish you wouldn't, that's obnoxious
    Whatever your forte may be, reading comprehension is not it.

Again, let me break this down for you:

1) No magic in potatoes.
    2) It's probably due to starvation level caloric intake.
    3) I am going to test this ( I guess that's what you call being "scientifical" )
    4) I will use the results to tweak and see if it can't be improved ( more "scientifical" goodness coming your way )
    5) I'm sharing all of it, just not on a monster meandering thread.
    6) Feel free to not participate. That is your prerogative.
    7) If you do not understand how something works, you may as well resort to sprinkling fairy dust on it when it fails to produce the expected results.

You don't like it, well, at least you have a Simon Pegg avatar. That's one good thing.

-PK

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    LOL...this is great. I personally am not the least bit interested in trying it, but I'm happy to read the data from other guinea pigs. One thing though. You need to do some lean mass to fat ratios for before and after (sure you planned on it)...as this is a point that is regularly diverted in the potato thread. "Well I'm pretty sure it was ALL fat".....
    Exactly ... I have access to an ultrasound body fat analyzer.

The game's afoot, Watson!

-PK

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Ahhhh.....WHAT! Your going to get adequate protein? That totally ruins this for me.
    Sorry ... you were hoping to watch a train wreck in progress?

Yeah, I know that impulse...

-PK

snark! i adore snark

so here's mine. i never said one way or the other what i thought about eating potatoes for a week so maybe you read more into what i said

so i'll break it down so maybe you can understand

he never claimed to be an expert anywhere that i saw so you doing a big 'AH-HA!' with numbers and everything means jack all except maybe that you're bored or you're feeling a bit insecure so you want to show someone up in a manner so grand it will involve a special website and precisely 3.7 people in the audience applauding

but you have abs, so i guess that's one thing you have going for you

what's the word i'm thinking of, where someone needs validation so they put up pictures of their body parts?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast