Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Potatoes For Weight Loss and Health page 12

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    That's a good way to see things haha.
    Great, well, you look great after all so I think you're right doing what you're doing.
    I'm pretty sure you could eat more (if you kept the same quality eating) and not gain much fat though.
    Or maybe it's because I'm 19, still developing my body and under TRT, who knows
    But I know I need a bare minimum of 2500 kcal a day or I loose like crazy.
    I know people that claim that you shouldn't weigh yourself daily because it is misleading. I disagree, I think you should track your numbers. You shouldn't worry about absolute numbers, the real information comes from monitoring the trend, as well as seeing how significantly your weight can alter from day to day.

While we are all similar underneath it all, the devil is in the details and the differences can be significant. So, when it comes to your particular caloric requirements, I'm quite sure that they are different from mine. If you monitor your weight and find that 2500 kcal is insufficient for you, then that is your truth. Nobody can dispute it. For me, I could also probably get away with 2500 kcal daily and maintain weight stability, I just dissipate more energy as heat at that level.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I was surprised at that calorie total too. I'm a woman and (I think) much smaller than pklopp with less lean mass, and likely not younger than him, and I eat that much or more to maintain (or I'm vastly overestimating my intake). It's a good illustration of how calculated TDEE numbers can be very far off a given person's actual daily requirements.
    Just to make sure we're all on the same page. The 2000 kcal is BMR ... so, breathing, heart beating, kidneys filtering, occasional blinking, but not much else. If I were comatose, that's what it would take to keep me weight stable ( not accounting for muscular atrophy due to disuse here ) at least initially.

So, in terms of METS, this is a 1.0 METS activity level throughout the day. To put that into perspective, writing is a 1.8 METS activity, meaning one expends about 80% more calories during one hour of writing than during 1 hour at BMR ( watching TV ).

-PK

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Oh ok sorry I didn't know you were talking about BMR, I thought you were talking about TDEE as, for me, maintenance kcal means what you need to eat to maintain a stable weight in daily life.

Thanks for your clarifications
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Okay, that makes more sense! I eat 2000 to 2500 kcal most days to maintain, but that's including physical activity as a factor (I lift every other day and am otherwise active). I was really shocked that a guy your apparent size and activity level would need less food than me.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Okay, that makes more sense! I eat 2000 to 2500 kcal most days to maintain, but that's including physical activity as a factor (I lift every other day and am otherwise active). I was really shocked that a guy your apparent size and activity level would need less food than me.
    With respect to caloric intake, depending upon how efficient your digestive system is, it is quite possible to get widely disparate caloric needs from individual to individual. It also doesn't necessarily relate to efficiency, it can also be a matter of simple eating mechanics. For example, nobody, unless they have python genes, swallows their food whole. If they were to do that, then the food would simply stay for a extremely prolonged time in the digestive system. The more you chew your food, the better ( i.e. more efficient ) the downstream digestive process becomes. Digestion is largely a matter of surface area, so, identical twins eating the exact same diet, with the exact same caloric expenditure, but one chewing twice as much as the other would get different results, with the one one that chewed more thoroughly either gaining more or losing less overall mass.

-PK

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    I know people that claim that you shouldn't weigh yourself daily because it is misleading. I disagree, I think you should track your numbers. You shouldn't worry about absolute numbers, the real information comes from monitoring the trend, as well as seeing how significantly your weight can alter from day to day.....
    I totally agree. I weigh myself every morning AND every night. It's a bit of a habit left over from competition days, but it gives you insight as to how you are responding to your current lifestyle. I can tell you how much weight I'm likely to drift overnight based on my days activity and what I ate. I can tell you how much is likely to be fluid retention from carby meals or fluid loss from too much drinking. Its just one measurement, but its so simple that there is no reason not to make use of it.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112