Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Potatoes For Weight Loss and Health page 10

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Understood View Post
    As I recall, the idea of the lean protein was that it was supposed to ramp up your metabolism and you'd burn fat. I don't think it was intended to be calorie restriction, although I'm sure I tried to take it easy on the portions. Oddly enough I think I used to be hungry moreso than on this crazy potato diet, but it may be due to the fact that I am currently very adept at burning fat off my body as fuel.
    Protein is the most thermogenic of the macronutrients so that tells us that when eaten in excess, it gets shunted to heat production most readily, more so than fats or carbs. This is where the "ramp up your metabolism" claims originate, I believe. The good bit about that is that you don't need to be as neurotic about minding your caloric intake, since if you overshoot, it literally gets burned off. Diets that do not rely on obsessive intervention for success are generally a good thing, and this is one of the arguments being made in favor of the potato "hack.:

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    How much of the weight loss is due to eliminating all the other foods from the diet. Eating just one or two foods holds you accountable not to fill the coffee cup with half cream, not to cook your eggs or vegies with a couple of tablespoons of butter, not loading the salad with goats cheese. Grab that handfull of nuts, or half a avocado with breakfast.

I keen to give it a try to break a six month stall, and also to remove the temptations and clean up the serving size... I have an adventure race next weekend so don't want to change anything to drastically this week but will give it a crack after.
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    Protein is the most thermogenic of the macronutrients so that tells us that when eaten in excess, it gets shunted to heat production most readily, more so than fats or carbs.
    This may be partly why the MOAR fat was not working for me, as it also emphasized less protein so it wouldnt kick you out of ketosis, which I am not concerned about ketosis (or should I be?) but I think my protein was just too low, or on the low side anyways.

I dont mean to derail too much here, but on my steak and eggs yesterday, (I did end up having an apple) and I am down .7 this morning. My tator days were .9 each day. I still had great energy, which it seems as though I dont have when I am on super high fat. Might be my imagination, I dont know.

DH... is down 4.8 this week since Monday! I have fed him more tators, a couple of mornings it was rice for breakfast, yesterday it was steak and eggs even though he is convinced I am trying to kill him with the eggs. He is on his own at lunch but he is trying to make better choices like no bread, etc.

We also have a new toy we have been using this week, for a little resistance training I guess, and he says he feels better (and he is a cynic for most things - his glass is always half empty while mine is half full) so I was surprised to hear him say he has been feeling better, sleeping better, and waking up feeling better.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Sorry to hear about your Dad. Hope he has a speedy recovery. If figured you were off somewhere--hoped it was climbing a mountain or something fun.

I started the "MOAR taters" thread in homage to your "MOAR fat" thread. I came across this hack for weightloss last summer and tried it on myself and close friends to great success before posting it on MDA.

I'm not the mastermind of the 'Potato Diet' but I have invited him to come and talk about it. You will be surprised when you learn who it is. If I can talk him into posting here, I'll start a new thread so you guys can get all your questions answered by a real expert in nutrition.

I implore you to read through the tater thread and look at the results. This is nothing more than a well-designed, short-term fat-busting hack. It's not a life-long diet plan. It is repeatable and predictable.

I love it because it's as ancestral as anything we do. Most, if not all, cultures since the beginning had access to starchy tubers. Undoubtedly there were certain times when they had to rely on these tubers as a sole source of food. I really like that this is coming out now, in the Fall, because this is the perfect time to add a short-term starch feast into your life.

Be kind.
    I wish I were climbing a mountain too but it is what it is. Thanks for your concern, Otzi.

I realize that you presented this as a "hack" and have never claimed it to be anything else and I'm totally fine with that. Some of the bandwagon jumpers however have been touting it as the holy grail. Yes, I read the thread.

IMO, any mono-food diet that uses a food that is pretty filling will have similar results. Some combination of satiety and boredom will mean a lower caloric intake therefore weight loss. (Cabbage soup diet anyone?)

In the "Moar Fat" thread I tried to explain my evolving understanding of Primal from from the time that I was one of the "Why isn't it working for me?" posters and people told me to EAT MOAR FAT! and I did and put on weight. Now I realize that they were not wrong, just that it was simplistically put. Had they said "Eat a higher proportion of your daily calories as fat, plus moderate protein and lower carbohydrates, while keeping your total calories in check and therefore you will find that reducing your caloric intake is easier", that would have been the real answer.

Personally I take the Moar Fat plan to the VLC end of the spectrum for medical reasons (epilepsy) but I do not advocate that this is something everyone can or should do. That is a personal choice.

I have no personal grudge against potatoes. If you are at a healthy weight and active, they are a perfectly healthy part of a Primal diet. And yes, they probably did keep our ancestors alive from time to time. (I dug up "bush potatoes", these tubers that kind of taste like jicama, with the women of the Wahadzabe tribe when I was in Africa.)

You can lose weight eating Primal foods. To lose the last stubborn 10 lbs you may need to be more vigilant about your calories. You might have to give up your wine and chocolate and bags of macadamia nuts. You might even have to order the filet instead of the porterhouse. Oh, the suffering!

Or you could eat all spuds (or cabbage soup), lose it, and then go back to your regular eating and gain it all back. That is the problem about "hacks". They are not for the long haul.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=pklopp;988382]Protein is the most thermogenic of the macronutrients so that tells us that when eaten in excess, it gets shunted to heat production most readily, more so than fats or carbs. This is where the "ramp up your metabolism" claims originate, I believe. The good bit about that is that you don't need to be as neurotic about minding your caloric intake, since if you overshoot, it literally gets burned off. Diets that do not rely on obsessive intervention for success are generally a good thing, and this is one of the arguments being made in favor of the potato "hack.:[/]

When low carbing started being the rage several decades ago, I was very intrigued by the story of a (food or beauty) editor who chronicled her weight loss efforts. She plateaued, and sought help from Dr Atkins. He recommended she eat MOAR protein. She did not, AFAIK, dwell on eating fat. And her nails and hair started showing all the symptoms of lack of protein! In absolute despair, she spent a short holiday at her mother's home, and was overcome by her craving for homemade biscuits and gravy, fresh bread, etc. And her nails and hair showed almost immediate improvement. Dr. Atkins confessed that he hadn't realized how absolutely determined she was to lose those few pounds,and that her extra protein was being converted into glucose and that she was suffering A PROTEIN DEFICIENCY! She concluded that a low carb diet was unworkable and unhealthy. Too bad her fat phobia was still intact when she followed the Diet Revolution and ate only lean proteins.

Paleobird Guest
    When low carbing started being the rage several decades ago, I was very intrigued by the story of a (food or beauty) editor who chronicled her weight loss efforts. She plateaued, and sought help from Dr Atkins. He recommended she eat MOAR protein. She did not, AFAIK, dwell on eating fat. And her nails and hair started showing all the symptoms of lack of protein! In absolute despair, she spent a short holiday at her mother's home, and was overcome by her craving for homemade biscuits and gravy, fresh bread, etc. And her nails and hair showed almost immediate improvement. Dr. Atkins confessed that he hadn't realized how absolutely determined she was to lose those few pounds,and that her extra protein was being converted into glucose and that she was suffering A PROTEIN DEFICIENCY! She concluded that a low carb diet was unworkable and unhealthy. Too bad her fat phobia was still intact when she followed the Diet Revolution and ate only lean proteins.
    Exactly. This is why a lot of people have tossed "low carb" on the scrapheap of fad diets. It was never meant to be low fat.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    The grand experiment started today ...!

All Potato Diet | Just another pklopp site
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    The grand experiment started today ...!

All Potato Diet | Just another pklopp site
    Anxious to see your results. Love the look and layout of the website
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Has any one considered what all that starch will do to the gut bacteria?

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    So why not try something like an all Quinoa diet for 10 - 14 days instead..... More protien. I'll be following along too.... Good luck.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast