Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: weight training + primal eating = smaller boobs? page

egrok is offline Member

weight training + primal eating = smaller boobs?

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys, I've been following the primal diet for about a year now but I'm still the dictionary definition of skinny-fat. It's clearly time to start lifting heavy things but I wanted to hear from some of the women - have there been issues with going down cup sizes from weight training? Are there certain exercises you focus on or avoid to make sure this doesn't happen? As much as I want to be stronger, I'm a bit on the small side (B) and don't want to get much smaller.
    Also do some of the ladies have recommendations on how to get started with weight training? I'm considering doing that 5x5 program I've seen recommended on other threads but would like to look at my other options.

-egrok

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Don't worry about your boobs - there is nothing sexier than a strong body!!!
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Losing body fat can make them smaller, but that can happen regardless and is not directly a result of weight training. My bust is smaller from losing nearly 40 lbs, and while lifting played a role in that weight loss, they would be smaller no matter how I'd lost it. They are also not really smaller proportionally for me because my band size dropped but I still wear a C.

Also, weight training can give you a bit of a boost in terms of looks because more muscle in the pecs can look like more bust and make things look perkier. And remember that you can't spot reduce (you can firm, but you can't really target where you burn fat from) so you won't lose more or less fat from your bust depending on your lifts.

As for programs, I started off doing CF so that's a different option than you're looking at (I am now doing 531). There are several good starter barbell programs out there, but you don't need to find a "women's program". You just need to scale the weight to fit your needs. Starting Strength and Stronglifts are both popular choices for beginner barbell programs but I haven't done either one so can't recommend one for sure. I think Gubernatrix (a women's lifting site) had a good review of program choices.

Also, you will probably want to watch some videos and/or read some stuff on form (Stumptuous has some good ones) and maybe get someone who knows what they're doing to help you get started. A lot of us women didn't spend time in the weight room as teens like a lot of guts do, so we may not have seen or tried some of the lifts before.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    No say it isn't true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I lost weight in my breasts just from losing weight. I have yet to see any women who lift weights for strength and fitness who lose their breasts. That only seems to happen to body builder women who take steroids.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I've seen it happen to fitness competitors who aren't using steroids, but it's only when they drop to super low body fat (which is why some get implants). Again, it's not the weights that do it; it's the person's ultra low body fat levels.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Diogenes is offline Member
    I'm actually hoping it reduces my manboobs, lol. Fat levels are probably the major factor, but I believe there may be a hormonal issue also.

ReclaimtheApex is offline Junior Member
    Sounds normal since breasts (male and female) are mostly just fat anyway. Less body fat = less boobage. I'm sure it won't look bad at all anyway. Your body is just turning into a more functional machine, and a functional body is a sexy body.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I've stayed an equivalent cup size relative to band size in spite of losing about 36 lbs. I'm down one band size and up one cup size.

They look a little bit smaller due to bigger pecs making them less saggy, so it follows that some fat has been replaced by muscle, which is no bad thing. I once went out with a body builder who would have been a B to C cup purely on account of his pecs.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This thread is worthless without pics. Lots and lots of pics. For science.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast