Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paleo Pasta.. page 3

BrittanyK is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Meh. I have tried a few different "spaghetti swaps" but really...Ugh, just throw the sauce over some vegetables and be done with it. Pasta is very plain anyway - would you eat it solo/dry? No. Just make a kickass sauce and throw it over zucchini, peppers and onion. My favorite is fantastic meat sauce (tomato sauce, ground meat, garlic, onions, seasoning) thrown over sauteed vegetables (whatever I have around. Anything will absorb the sauce flavor. Why add almond and quinoa crap to a simple meal?)

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrittanyK View Post
    Meh. I have tried a few different "spaghetti swaps" but really...Ugh, just throw the sauce over some vegetables and be done with it. Pasta is very plain anyway - would you eat it solo/dry? No. Just make a kickass sauce and throw it over zucchini, peppers and onion. My favorite is fantastic meat sauce (tomato sauce, ground meat, garlic, onions, seasoning) thrown over sauteed vegetables (whatever I have around. Anything will absorb the sauce flavor. Why add almond and quinoa crap to a simple meal?)
    Seriously.

I like to steam a bunch of vegetables and add the sauce on top. The sauce will prvide the fat to get all the nutrients you need if you add olive oil to it or add undrained ground beef or pork to it (I wouldn't add both the undrained meat AND the olive oil or the sauce constancy gets a bit messed up).

A good combination of veggies I have used is:

Mustard greens
    Turnip greens
    Kale
    Asparagus
    Okra (if in season)
    Various bell peppers of all colors
    A spicy pepper or two of your choice

That mix provides a good mix of nutrients and flavors. Just make sure you steam the leafy greens only for a minute or two since the hot pasta sauce will continue to cook the greens.

Or you could sauté some eggplant in butter or coconut oil and toss the pasta sauce on top of the slab.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Seriously, just put something like an arrabbiata sauce over seared chicken and vegetables or white rice and you'll never want pasta again. The white rice may be a taboo for some, but the veggies alone are delicious if you can't or don't want to eat rice

Also, isn't paleo pasta kinda like our version of vegan bacon? I believe Ron Swanson sums up my opinion of vegan bacon nicely.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    I love Ron Swanson. Works for the government and can't stand government. Loves meat. Classic.

Great clip.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I don't care much for rice pasta. I don't mind putting sauce over squash, but my husband isn't always keen on that and I have a grandchild or two that wont eat squash, so I've resigned myself to wheat pasta, I started buying einkorn pasta from Jovial Foods

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shep68 View Post
    Expensive noodles but an interesting recipe and intriguing product. Thanks for this info. There's a store about 15 miles from me that carries it. I'll have to check it out. Good on ya!
    Great! Let me know how it tastes.

sunsis is offline Member
    personally, since there are no spaghetti squash (sigh i miss them so) available here, i grate longways (turns into nice long strands) zucchini and serve that under my bolognese.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123