Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: But....I really dont like veggies.... page

mcompton1973 is offline Junior Member

But....I really dont like veggies....

Primal Fuel
    ok, considering Primal/Paleo. Have the Primal Blueprint but not done, have finished the Paleo Diet.

Here are my "stumbling blocks" how hard to overcome?

1. Rice mainly with butter salt and pepper or with Chinese food.
    2. Sauces. Only veggies I eat now are salad and only buried with Ranch or Italian dressing...with Chinese food with lots of thich brown spicy sauces etc.
    3. Chips...mainly Tortilla chips/taco shells/tortillas
    4. And lastly...I dont like veggies.

I eat salad. I will occasionally force myself to eat broccoli with chinese food. But often I will order "Kung Pao - no veggies" or "Fajitas, no veggies with the fajita meat" things like that. I love corn on the cob...and I like tomatoes with lots of salt and pepper...lol.

I "hear" that your taste buds change, that you adapt etc. Wondering how long, and how hard to get to that part. lol.

Honestly...I really dont like veggeis. lol

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    When you say "veggies" what do you mean?

I ask because "veggies" to me means broccoli, raw and slightly cooked peppers, raw and cooked carrots, etc. "Normal" veg. I don't particular like these either. I definitely don't like them raw!

I'm figuring out that my tummy isn't comfy with raw veggies. However, I really, really like cauliflower if it's made into a mashed-potato-like mash, roasted peppers if the skin is peeled, "odd" veggies like brussel sprouts and kohlrabi and eggplant - if I put a "sauce" over them, etc.

Your #1, 2, and 3 vices sound like mine so I'm interested to see what other people have to say!

Well, interesting point.
    Raw...I will eat a salad...thats about it.
    i DO like cucumbers in my salad, or even with salt or ranch dressing. I will eat radishes or scallions with salt...although I rarely do because my wife hates them, and the fact that scallions stay on my breath for days no matter what mouth wash or toothpaste I use...lol. I LOVE spicy foods...salsa, hot peppers etc...but I am not a fan of bell peppers although my wife loves them. I grew up with a meat, a starch and a veggie at every meal...but the veggie was either a salad, corn or green beans. I can do cooked carrots with a lot of butter, salt and pepper...but thats not all that natural...lol.

I have not tried the cauliflower mashed up...or the odd veggies you mention. I think my dad had a hippie friend that might have made eggplant lasagna once that I liked...but that was 25 years ago....sooooo....lol.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Cook your vegetables. I personally can't stand most leafy green vegetables myself unless they're cooked. Also, learn how to season with herbs and spices; I hate bland food.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried roasting them? Try roast onions, carrots, pumpkin, sweet potato, parsnips, beetroot, all together in an oven dish with fresh rosemary and either olive oil or coconut oil. Make sure you burn them a little on the bottom of the pan cos it adds a lovely flavour... Beetroot grated raw, or boiled is a totally different vegetable than what comes out of a can.

What about Fennel? delicious

Vegetables are not just green and the variety is huge.

Another favourite of mine is mash cooked carrot and parsnips together with butter. They are sweet and delicious.

Think colour - not just green and experiment. The tastes are so varied - so say to yourself you don't like broccoli, but don't tell yourself you don't like vegetables - you have to taste something new over 15 times before you can honestly say you don't like it (well thats what they say about kids anyway)

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcompton1973 View Post
    Well, interesting point.
    Raw...I will eat a salad...thats about it.
    i DO like cucumbers in my salad, or even with salt or ranch dressing. I will eat radishes or scallions with salt...although I rarely do because my wife hates them, and the fact that scallions stay on my breath for days no matter what mouth wash or toothpaste I use...lol. I LOVE spicy foods...salsa, hot peppers etc...but I am not a fan of bell peppers although my wife loves them. I grew up with a meat, a starch and a veggie at every meal...but the veggie was either a salad, corn or green beans. I can do cooked carrots with a lot of butter, salt and pepper...but thats not all that natural...lol.

I have not tried the cauliflower mashed up...or the odd veggies you mention. I think my dad had a hippie friend that might have made eggplant lasagna once that I liked...but that was 25 years ago....sooooo....lol.

yep - sounds like you really need to try some new vegetables...

Quote Originally Posted by Rueben View Post
    yep - sounds like you really need to try some new vegetables...
    I am sure that I do...
    but getting myself to do something that I dont enjoy is pretty hard...lol.
    That is why I am interested in like how long it takes people to get to where they LIKE the veggies...

I know that I have an auto immune issue (Behcets...I know you have never heard of it...no one has...lol) and I have a gut. I have the kind of fat that makes me look like I am hiding a ball in my short. Hard, and round...and the rest of me is not all that fat. So I need to do something...its the ability to stick to it that I am worried about...that is what keeps me from trying because I think the yo-yo affect messes with me pretty bad.

Just frustrated...I DO like fruit...but since I have about 30 pounds to loose, I am guessing that I prob need to avoid it for a while also....which doesnt help. lol

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    I've learned to like some and accept the others.
    - try soups - cook non offensive (not cauliflower or broccoli), but butternut, for example, blend and add some wine. I always hated eating pieces of cooked vegetables, but such soups are OK.
    - instead of despicable broccoli try steamed kale. My experience with broccoli was interesting. I steamed a piece, mashed, placed on the plate, sat comfortably, told to myself "You can do" and ate it. The next day, I steamed a piece, mashed, placed on the plate, sat comfortably, told to myself "You can do it," looked again, told to myself "No, you can't" and threw it out.
    Last edited by anna5; 10-25-2012 at 12:13 AM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Oh this is good - I thought I was the only person who didn't like salads. I like meat salads.

1. Butter is encouraged here, and while rice is a grain, white rice is anywhere from never eaten to eaten every day (some of the harder exercisers).

2. Sauces are also fine, but if you want to eat whole foods, you really should take the time to learn to make your own. That stuff in bottles at the store invariably has either crap (as opposed to healthy) oil, or soy, or HFCS, or all three.

3. Chips are corn. Corn is a grain. A lot of corn around the world is a GMO. Chips, unless you're making your own, will have the same ingredients as the sauces above.

4. Do you not like any veggies? Or just salads? When I get the feeling I haven't eaten enough greens, I toss some in a blender with strawberries and just swallow them. It's not ideal, but it works for me. But I love squash, mashed cauliflower, grilled/roasted brussel sprouts - things from my childhood mostly.

Primal eating is more about eating whole healthy unprocessed foods than it is about restricting foods. The grains and legumes are out for good reason, but after that, you pretty much blueprint your own eating. Some people eat a lot of fat, some eat very low carbs, some eat more plant based, others eat tons of meat, or fish, etc. Some people don't even eat bacon even though it has a very large following.

Like anything new, it takes a bit to get into the groove of it. I loved sandwiches. And I live in Po' Boy country. So for me that was a sticking point, but I got over it.

Think about a grocery store. All the foods on the outer perimeter: meats, produce, dairy, eggs. Those are all good foods. The inner aisles are where they keep the fake foods like chocolate cereal that's "good" for you. yeesh. The exception would be frozen veggies and fruits.

Anyway, don't get overwhelmed by what you think you can't eat. Some people start just by ditching the grains and legumes, and even if that's all you ever do, you'll still be better off that most folks who are farting their way to good health by eating all that low fat pasta.

Good luck.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Who says you have to eat salads? There is more to vegetables than green leaf lettuce. I love vegetables but you'd have to hold a gun to my head before I'd eat some disgusting lettuce. Blech. Even on a CW diet I never had a salad unless I had no other menu choices and I'm certainly not going to start now.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast