Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: But....I really dont like veggies.... page 2

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Stop thinking in terms of "veggies" the category doesn't mean anything - all those plant parts taste so different from one another and have totally different textures and potential ways of eating them. Each is a category unto its own.

Half the time I don't consider the plant parts I'm eating to be plants - they're pasta substitutes! It's amazing how good greens are when you let yourself put curry sauce on them. Right now I'm eating mac and cheese - subbed out cauliflower for the mac - didn't change the recipe. Works great! Also, veggies that people usually eat raw - like radishes and turnips - almost lose their tart taste completely when cooked.

Since you're just starting out, work into it - it doesn't sound like you're very used to cooking so experiment with the higher quality conventional sauces, decide what pairings you like, and then learn to make those sauces that "work" for you. Otherwise you might make quite a few dishes that take effort and don't taste good - that's a quick way to frustration!

And, don't dump all your sauce on all your plant parts - try a you-sized serving first. Learned that one through experience :P

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I've never been a big vegetable eater, either, but I've acclimatized to it. Like others said, you need more variety in terms of your vegetables. Also, rather than think of vegetables as a bland side or a salad, bury them in stews, casseroles, and omelets. Some of my favorites are lasagna with zucchini strips instead of pasta sheets; omelets with some combination of spinach, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, and cheese; peppers stuffed with meat and topped with some sour cream; and roasted eggplants topped with a lamb or ground beef/pork stew.

Also, I try to buy vegetables primarily from the farmers' market - it's more expensive, but they are generally much more attractive, packaged in a tempting manner (e.g. multicolored baby beets or baby eggplants that look almost like candy) and taste better. I can also ask the seller how they cook that particular vegetable at home, which can sometimes give you some new ideas. Plus because of the price and the association with specific vendors who I feel like I have a relationship with, I'm a lot less likely to just let the vegetables go to waste and rot away in my crisper, so in the end, it's not really more expensive considering I waste less.

I also try to buy a new vegetable on a regular basis. I've recently tried rutabaga and kohlrabi - not too keen on the first one, but the second one will definitely become a staple. Also, try ethnic markets - you'll find all kinds of vegetables and greens you are not familiar with, you could probably easily try a new vegetable every few weeks for a year.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    another delicious way of eating vegetables - chop up sweet potato, pumpkin, broccoli, cauli, carrots. put into pot with a little stock/water, and some garlic. cook till soft, add some coconut milk and salt. mash/blend. even my children asked for seconds

while i've always loved veges, I definitely find them even more delicious now

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    I too HATE veggies. Primal has been tough but your tastes do change. I roast many of my veg or fry them in bacon fat or steam them and cover them with butter.

I add spinach or kale to any dish I cook, I add mushrooms to my fried eggs, I make a roast veggie melange of red and green peppers, Zuchinni, onions and garlic, sweet potatoes, broccoli all covered in an olive oil and rosemary and sea salt and hot sauce and sesame oil dressing before cooking.

I steam a lot of chicken and broccoli and cover it with rosemary and butter. this works well.

I fry cabbage and onions in bacon fat for breakfast. I generally hate salads but there is creative easy ways around them.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty much a cooked veggie person. I am not into raw vegies for the most part unless it is a salad in hot weather. Badly cooked veggies can be pretty nasty too. I make my own dressings and sauces so I can flavor them to my taste. I'm cooking food for five and there are several allergies, corn, capcisum(peppers), dairy, sunflower seeds(life threatening) and several other tree nuts. The teenagers and the husband have made the transition to primal pretty easily. It's the five year old son that hasn't yet but he is food neophobic. Soups and stews are the easiest way to get vegies in. Simmering them in beef or chicken broth changes the taste enough for most of my picky eaters to eat them as is smothering them in gravy(I usually thicken with arrowroot although sometimes with a roux). I add bacon pieces to some vegies, like green beans or I make a big batch of simmered cabbage and bacon. Smothering in butter helps too. Most cabbage family veggies will get pretty strong and nasty tasting if they are cooked too long and get mushy. Roasted veggies can be pretty tasty especially put in with a beef roast. My kids love putting grilled onions on just about everything. I put grated carrot and chopped onion in meatloaf, can't taste the carrot and it makes it look brighter and keeps it from drying out. My kids will also eat many vegies pickled that they wouldn't eat otherwise. I'm not a big winter squash fan but variety counts, we usually get delicata or acorn. I discovered that squash with beef roast drippings is devastatingly good. I have found that keeping tasting small amounts of veggies gets your mouth used to the taste and texture helps a lot. Another trick is to add a little lemon juice or balsalmic vinegar to change the taste. Keep working at it and good luck.

PrimalMama is online now Senior Member
    okay... I might not be the best person to answer your query 'cause I LOVE veggies... BUT here's some things that I enjoy that have gone over well with people who "don't like veggies."

Kale chips - rip up some kale, toss with olive oil to coat, season with sea salt (and whatever else you want to add - garlic, pepper, cayenne, etc.) - bake at 350F for about 15min (they should be crispy)

Stews or slow cooked meats - try this brisket or this beef shank stew or... any kind of low-slow meaty goodness with hearty veggies.

roasted veggies - pretty much anything you'd eat cooked... toss with some olive oil & seasoning, roast at 400F until it starts to brown. My current fave is Brussels Sprouts halved, tossed w/a chopped up serrano, olive oil, garam masala & sea salt, then roasted

Zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash with your favorite homemade pasta sauce

Cabbage: sauerkraut, rotkohl, Bubble & Squeak (if/when you do potatoes), roasted, grilled.

carrots cooked slowly in a saucepan (add some water) with a wee bit of maple syrup or honey until they're tender

Sweet potatoes of all preparations

Homemade Soups - I modified this gazpacho recipe to fit what I had on hand - it's become a favorite.... my sister has a killer squash recipe, I'll have to get it from her.

Omelets/Scrambles - I do a kind of stirfry sautee of whatever's in the fridge - spinach/kale, mushrooms, onions, peppers, tomatoes (add in last so they don't get too soggy) - add some ham or bacon or chop up whatever leftover meat you have... make this the filling of an omelet or just scramble in some eggs.

Cheese and "cracker" plate - use sliced cucumber instead of crackers - this only works if you do dairy, of course... I've used cukes with lox (and cream cheese) too - YUM!
    One of our favorite "spreads" is cukes, tomatoes, peppers (bell & hot), arugula, liverwurst, salami, prosciutto, 2-3 kinds of cheese, maybe some carrots or celery, capers... possibly some dijon mustard... mmmm... there are usually crackers on the plate too, especially if we have guests, I just don't eat 'em.

Smoothies - coconut milk + ice + whatever floats your boat... but you'll never notice a large handful of spinach added for its nutrients.

I do salads - I prefer a spinach, baby arugula, or spring mix type of base, and then... I just load with whatever I can find - a nice hunk of protein (beef, chicken, fish), peppers, tomatoes, cukes, shrooms, brussels sprouts, avocado, sprouts (alfalafa, clover, radish, etc), parsnips, radishes, beets, carrots, celery, artichokes, hearts of palm, a handful of seeds/nuts.... endless possibilities. If you've ever had a salad you really liked at a restaurant or someone's home, find out what was in it and replicate

As for fruit? We usually keep clementines, apples, bananas, a bunch of unsweetened/no chemicals added dried fruit, avocados, tomatoes, and bags of frozen fruit (mostly berries), and I usually have some pineapple in the house, even though it's not the best fruit ever... it keeps me from eating my sweetie's cookies/bon bons/whatever on the rare occasion I want something really sweet. I'd eat 12 pineapples (pretty sugary, but still a REAL food) if it keeps me from dipping into some franken food junk. Bottom line: if eating fruit keeps you on plan, it's better than non-food.

sunsis is offline Member
    Suck it up sunshine. Eat your veggies.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsis View Post
    Suck it up sunshine. Eat your veggies.
    Had to chuckle hard... 'cause I thought that, too. But then, I am another veggie lover.

But seriously - my best advice is this: get a cookbook. Why not one of the Primal Blueprint cookbooks? And cook your way through each and every recipe. Get a second cookbook. And cook your way through that one - why not a Paleo cookbook? And repeat ad nauseum.

You definitely won't like each and every preparation you do. But you WILL hopefully improve your cooking skills, and I can practically guarantee that you also WILL meet at least one single veggie preparation that you could see yourself eating again. And voila, after a time, you have some new veggie friends and improved cooking skills. And perhaps some new pans and pots. Your local library has a huge cookbook section - use it.

I can understand truly hating a few veggies and never eating them again (I'm that way with chili peppers and the hubby is an enemy of the sweet potato), but the wholesale "I hate veggies" thing is just inexperience. Get thee to a really, really good restaurant (or more) and eat their vegetables - it'll be an epiphany for your taste buds.

One of the things I tell my kids: it isn't the vegetable you don't like, it is that particular recipe (way of cooking it). Because some recipes really are simply abominations on the guiltless vegetable concerned.

I'll give you a couple of examples of ways I won't eat some vegetables (that I normally really enjoy):
    - canned mushrooms (booger balls IMHO)
    - boiled zucchini (my great-grandmother's way of cooking it - I gagged at the sight of it, and my mother promised me that she would protect me to the death from having to eat it)
    - canned spinach

BUT, these same veggies, if served to me like this: crispy-sauteed mushrooms, marinated and then grilled zucchini, and fresh spinach sauteed in bacon fat, are so far removed from the ugliness above that it is unreal. See my point?

Any vegetable at all can be steamed, stir-fried, baked, roasted, made into soup, pureed, grilled, sauteed, stuffed, hidden in stuff like stew (how my special needs daughter learned to like a lot of things - finely diced and cooked in copious amounts of BEEF stew), juiced, eaten raw, lacto-fermented, smothered in cheese, dried until crisp and eaten instead of potato chips... the varieties are nearly endless. You said yourself that your vegetable experience was limited - so expand it!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    One of my favorite ways to prepare veggies that I've never seen anyone except myself mention is to cook them along with whatever ground meat you want. They absorb the fat from the meat, so they suck in a nice meaty flavor that may make them easier for you to handle. This method is exceptionally good for those nice, leafy greens like kale, mustard green, turnip greens, arugula, spinach, ect...

Toss some eggs in the pan after they've been beaten together and viola! Quick, easy, primal pseudo-casserole/fritter thingy.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    LOL.... I totally understand where you are coming from. I grew up in a house where processed peas and potatoes were the only veg. ever served. My Mother was fond of saying that she was made to eat some when she was little and would never do that to us. I have also never understood the possible liking for veg. but I have to say, since cutting out reg. potatoes, all grain and limiting fruit, I have started to really experiment in the ways listed here and been actually shocked to have started to like some veg. I would have never touched before. Parsnips is the latest, it makes great mash and fries. Roasted beets are yum too. I even (shock of all shocks) ate a couple of brussels sprouts..... from a recipe that was spiced and tossed in bacon fat and bacon pieces. Soups are also a great way to get some nice veggies in for lunch, just made a tasty butternut ginger squash one last night for lunches this week. So feel adventurous, you never know what will happen. Like me you may start to actually like some.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast