Thread: loping page

krusomkit is offline Junior Member

loping

Shop Now
    Hey everyone, I know Marks views on jogging and such, and I agree, but I would like to hear what the community thinks about loping. Loping is and has been a common method of travel for humans and other animals over long distances for, well, forever I guess. Following game? Lope. Have to cover 100 miles in 2 days? Lope.

Loping is distinct from jogging. It involves long strides, rather than short choppy strides. Toe strikes rather than heel strikes. And a sustainable pace over many miles.

African tribesmen, South American hunters, North American Indians are all known for their amazing endurance and ability to run long distances without undue stress. Lots of stories of Apache Indians running 100 miles, etc.

So, similar to squatting, this would be a learned skill and require practice. Wonder how much loping would be appropriate? How much did our primal forebears actually lope?

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I am NOT a high-speed (or even medium-speed) person, but I find that when I have been walking for a while, I no longer trudge, I lope, which I characterize as swinging my legs more from my hips, rather than lifting my feet. An interesting discovery, as it is not something I consciously tried, but just fell into, as I made longer walks part of my life.

BeatlesFan is offline Member
    As much as you want

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    it's a great word, I like saying it alot,,,,,loping not sure that it's not just easy running in not shit shoes (so you can't heel strike) though
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    You gotta take into account the view on jogging, loping, skipping....ect. are based on intensity. Jogging is NOT intense or even moderate work for me. I usually don't exceed 60% of my max heart rate at a light jog so this falls directly in the move frequently at a slow pace category FOR ME. For some people it would not...a jog may put them at 80% of their max heart rate and doing that for sustained hours on end THEN becomes chronic cardio. Its all determined by your current fitness level.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I mean I've heard of humans running long distances, but are you sure loping is an ancestral trait? Any links? I was under the impression that the design of the foot was to spring (the arch) and then you have the enlarged glute max muscle propelling movement. I'm really interested if you have some links on it....

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    In cultures that run, you are going to see that they are still pushing off their back foot more than reaching forward with the front. Pushing off the back is done with the glutes and hams, and is really the same stride as a moderate running pace.

Most of what we know about proper running form has been coming from the running parts of Africa with no shoes, then more research in the developed countries. The stuff that Lieberman and others have been analyzing, the way I try to run, is based off this research. I don't think there is a separate gait that is commonly used, like you think there is.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    You gotta take into account the view on jogging, loping, skipping....ect. are based on intensity. Jogging is NOT intense or even moderate work for me. I usually don't exceed 60% of my max heart rate at a light jog so this falls directly in the move frequently at a slow pace category FOR ME. For some people it would not...a jog may put them at 80% of their max heart rate and doing that for sustained hours on end THEN becomes chronic cardio. Its all determined by your current fitness level.
    Got to agree with this, it's your heart rate that determines the intestity, powering up hills walking I can propbaly get into 70% plus max heart rate, especially when carrying the extra weight of a large baby, and certainly get a bit warm and puffed, but I can run at a steady pace on the flat (probably a jog or a lope about 6 - 7 mph) without getting puffed or sweaty, not that I take my heart rate or anything, but I reckon this would be in the move slowly category.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................