Thread: Ancestral Native American Eating page

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member

Ancestral Native American Eating

Shop Now
    Native American ancestors' diet part of study and challenge

Brief Synopsis: A study is being done with varying levels of compliance to a diet that includes anything the Great Lakes area Native Americans had prior to 1600, give or take- deer and turkey, corn, beans, and squash, morels, greens, etc. One guy who pledged 100% has lost almost 30 pounds since March, and a lot of his biomarkers have also improved.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post

Brief Synopsis: A study is being done with varying levels of compliance to a diet that includes anything the Great Lakes area Native Americans had prior to 1600, give or take- deer and turkey, corn, beans, and squash, morels, greens, etc. One guy who pledged 100% has lost almost 30 pounds since March, and a lot of his biomarkers have also improved.
    This would be really cool to do if all the food was sourced and prepared in traditional ways for you, and you got to live in a tipi and do Indian stuff all day.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I was curious about the corn, but they did say all GMO foods were excluded. You can still get ancient grains, but I doubt most people would go that far in their daily lives.

My boyfriend is part Native American, but from the southeast part of the U.S. Looks like their diet was hunt and gather, and even when they started baking, it was with acorn flour. They did add in corn, but again, not GMO. Hmm. I'm going to have to research this some more. Don't know what I'm going to do with the Swedish half of him though...
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

caroaustini is offline Junior Member
    You can still get ancient grains

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I was reading Stefansson's The Fat of the Land. Apparently Native Americans in my area had tooth decay. They ate acorns and seafood (abalone, shellfish, and bony fish) mostly. There were other things like chia, too. The tooth decay seems to indicate it wasn't the best diet possible.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Arggg...trying to find the link to the MNU diet guide.
    Found the tasting menu night link....yum' and very Primal
    his year's menu will include:
    Turkey
    Bison/Venison Meatloaf
    Turkey/Pumpkin Soup
    Wild Rice
    Wild Rice Casserole w/vegies
    Fry Bread
    Three Sisters Casserole
    Crabapple Sauce
    Sunbutter Cookies
    Pumpkin Cornbread
    Fruit Dessert Topping
    Drinks: Sweetwater, White Pine/Wintergreen Tea, Water
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Definitely stick to the ancient ancestral Native American diet and not the post-American one. Fry bread is so not Paleo, and explains why so many Native Americans on reservations are obese on a heavily carb-based diet laden with cheap processed foods.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post

Came across a similar story a while ago: Lakota man credits traditional diet for diabetes control
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Fry bread? That was introduced by Europeans and a cause of obesity for native people's. Your whole list looks a little suspiciously European-influenced what with all the cookies and such.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3