Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can I make with a dehydrator? page

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member

What can I make with a dehydrator?

Shop Now
    I just came across a 50% off sale on a dehydrator, so I'm pondering buying one. I mostly want one because I like to pick wild mushrooms in the summer, and the oven temps are a little too high to successfully dry them. But beyond that, what can I make with a dehydrator besides the obvious like kale chips or dried fruit?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    JERKY!!!

Ok that was an obvious one. You can also make pemmican (mix the shredded jerky with rendered fat). They are also good for drying nuts/seeds after you soak them.

Here's a crazy website with lots of dehydrator recipes:
    Backpacking Food for the Soul

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Well if you were Wesley Crusher, you could use it and a brace of Tribbles to make a photon deflector dish with which to bounce a graviton beam off of. If not then yeah jerky, dried fruits, dried veggies and if you have kids, fruit roll ups. I have also made dehydrated stew, just add water and simmer. You make stew and then lay it out to dry, it works and saves space and weight when camping.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    I have also made dehydrated stew, just add water and simmer. You make stew and then lay it out to dry, it works and saves space and weight when camping.
    Ohhh, that's a cool idea!

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Well if you were Wesley Crusher, you could use it and a brace of Tribbles to make a photon deflector dish with which to bounce a graviton beam off of.
    Hee, a brace of Tribbles...

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Jerky! We go through heaps of it.

Also, in my house we're big fans on pumpkin leather:
    (I won't give measurements, you can taste test)
    Cooked & Pureed pumpkin
    Coconut milk
    Allspice
    cinnamon
    nutmeg
    cloves

Combine all of the above and remember the flavours will intensify. You can add honey too, for a little sweetness (I use about a tbsp for a whole small pumpkin) You could add chopped dried fruit, nuts, shredded coconut, whatever takes your fancy.

Form into cookie shapes on dehydrator sheets, or in one layer. Dry for about 24hr, turn if you want both sides chewy. Take it off sooner if you want it a bit gooey.

Yum!
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

caroaustini is offline Junior Member
    Ok that was an obvious one. You can also make pemmican

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Well if you were Wesley Crusher, you could use it and a brace of Tribbles to make a photon deflector dish with which to bounce a graviton beam off of. If not then yeah jerky, dried fruits, dried veggies and if you have kids, fruit roll ups. I have also made dehydrated stew, just add water and simmer. You make stew and then lay it out to dry, it works and saves space and weight when camping.
    I'll have to try that out. I heard of a similar idea in a book. I think it might have been this one:
    Backpack Gourmet: Good Hot Grub You Can Make at Home,Dehydrate,and Pack for Quick,Easy,and Healthy Eating on the Trail: Linda Frederick Yaffe: 9780811726344: Amazon.com: Books

I also did something similar with beef stock. I reduced it down first until it was almost a syrup, then poured it onto a solid sheet and dehydrated it until it turned into glass basically. Then I used a spice grinder to turn it into a powder. Now when I want some stock, I just boil some water and add a tablespoon or so of broth powder. The flavor is not amazing; I think a lot of the flavor molecules vaporized from all the boiling to reduce and the dehydrating. But the wonderful gelatin mouthfeel is still there.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    If you want some great dehydrator ideas, go check out some raw vegan recipe sites. You can make all sorts of stuff!

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    I've also used mine to make yogurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast