EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    I've also used mine to make yogurt.
    ???? How so?

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    ???? How so?

I used organic, low heat pasturized (sp?) whole milk, heated it again on the stovetop and put the culture in, just following direction on the yogurt culture package, etc. After I put it in containers, I put it in my excalibur (without the top trays) and set the temp just under 110 degrees F and let it run for around 10 to 12 hours. After that, cooled it in the fridge for a day and then I made it into greek yogurt. I double strained it and it was the best tasting greek style yogurt I've ever had, it had a thick creamy texture and a slightly sweet taste. Mmmmmmm....

BrittanyK is offline Junior Member
    Oh, I am jealous. Buy it! I made jerky using my oven on the lowest possible setting but it was a pain in the ass. I wished for a dehydrator the entire time. I am sure you can find tons of great recipes for lots of things to do with it with a quick google though. I myself have never regretted buying a kitchen appliance...

KimNKY is offline Member
    Definitely buy it! I've gotten so much use out of mine since going primal. My favorite is dried strawberries, just cut them in half or slice and put right on the trays. Other berries work too, but are more labor intensive (blueberries need to be cut in half individually and placed cut side up). Thin sliced apples dipped in lemon juice and sprinkled with cinnamon are also fantastic, but high on carbs so easy to overdo it.

It works for vegetables too- I've dried zucchini, eggplant, shredded carrots, and celery. If you're rehydrating, the texture can be a little odd so it's best to use them in recipes like soups or frittatas. I love being able to stock up on produce when it's in season at the farmers market and eat all year. It also means I can rely a little less on grocery stores and food that's been gassed and trucked in from wherever.

I haven't tried jerky yet but it's definitely on my list! I can't stand any of the storebought stuff.

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    You can make beef or I believe fish jerky. Chicken and pork I believe need to be cooked before dehydrating. I make camping and hiking meals in addition to kid munchies. Most fruits and veggied dehydrate well although mushrooms and onions may drive you out of the room with the smell while they are dehydrating. Most veggies last longer if they have been blanched first to shut down the enzyme action. Some fruits like blueberries and cherries dry much faster after they have been blanched and the waxiness taken off their skins. Fruit leather and yogurt leather which can be eaten as leathers or rehydrated while camping. Citrus doesn't leave much behind if dehydrated and seedy berries like blackberries and raspberries come out a bit crunchy. Anything that can be pureed can be dried and reconstituted later. Many backpackers will dehydrated stews and other cooked meals to take hiking with them. Meats really need to be lean or defatted or they can go rancid. I usually put jerky in the freezer to help it to keep longer. Some of the backpacking sites have dehydrater advice. My kids are very fond of dried pineapple, strawberries and kiwifruit.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Ooooh, do share the sale!! I want one!!

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Oh, it was a Groupon-type of thing, and then I found one on Kijiji.

I have casually mentioned my desire for one around the BF about 5 times in the last 72 hours, still waiting for him to catch on to it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12