Thread: Intro, thinking about Primal/Paleo worried if I can... page

mcompton1973 is offline Junior Member

Intro, thinking about Primal/Paleo worried if I can...

Shop Now
    I would say quick intro, but I am a salesman, I love to talk, and I never do anything quick...lol.

I am 39.
    I am very disappointed in how I look, but really struggle to fix it. I am disappointed because I know it is not how I should look, and its not healthy, and I get frustrated that I cant seem to break out of it.

I started out as the skinny kid who ate like a horse. I was not overly athletic or anything at all, just the opposite, was the nerd...the really smart kid. I was 5'10 and weighed 125lbs although I are a TON. Once ate 6 prime ribs at an all you can eat restaurant. Married too young, and a kid on the way, I joined the Marines to take care of my new family. In boot camp I gained 40 pounds of muscle and had a great body. I still ate like crap (breakfast was a bag of Sour Cream and Cheese Ruffles and a Mt Dew....EVERY DAY!) but worked out so much I pretty much covered for it. I did gain about 10 pounds...but still looked better than most people. Then I tore up my knees and left the military. That is when it all really hit me. I still ate like crap, but I no longer worked out. At my largest I was 230. I am now around 205. Mainly that is from not drinking regular soda, and eating a little better. I used to drink 6-10 regular sodas a DAY. I still drink too much soda....but now its Diet Dr Pepper.

If I post a head shot, people would not say I was fat. I dont have a fat face. I dont have fat arms or legs. ALL my fat is in my gut. I am the guy that looks like he has a basketball under his shirt...and as I understand it, that is a...the worst kind of fat....and b...the hardest to loose.

I have tried Atkins...and lost pretty good on it. I have tried Weight Watchers and did OK on that. but I find it pretty hard for me to stick too. My main vices are rice...I LOVE rice...and Mexican food. I love Tortilla chips and taco shells and tortillas etc. Also the fact that I dont really like vegies. I can force myself to eat broccoli in some chinese food...I dont mind a good salad drenched in dressing...I do like corn on the cob...but not really the kind of vegi this lifestyle promotes...lol.

I also have an auto immune disorder called behcets. For a long time I was on high doses of prednisone. I have mostly gotten off of that. I understand the prednisone has caused a lot of my weight issues as well...or contributed at least.

So I am torn between finding the self discipline to give up things I love, and to eat things I dont.

I know I need to for health reasons...and I know I would be happier with how I look...but frankly it seems like a lot of work. Combine that with the fact that my wife...is naturally a beautiful, sexy, thin woman who wont go paleo with me, and doesnt really need to (she is 5'6" and 120lbs...rides horses all the time and that keeps her in shape)...so it really then becomes me doing it all a lone. Its a struggle.

OK, that is probably enough for now. I am certain anyone still reading is bored...lol

Anyways, just thought I would introduce myself.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcompton1973 View Post
    So I am torn between finding the self discipline to give up things I love, and to eat things I dont.
    Your tastes change. Just go for it, and you'll get to like it and not to like what you liked before.

I heard of an ex-Marine in the paleo space, and maybe his site might interest you, too:

About me | Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. I hope primal goes well for you.

I guess diet soda is a little better than regular but ideally you should work on giving it up. I drink seltzer water flavored with lemon/lime or vanilla, and sweetened with stevia.

You don't absolutely have to eat veggies if you eat grass fed/organic/free range meat. But you can learn to like veggies. Hint: butter. MORE

I had Mexican food tonight - tacos, with organic corn tortillas. No primal for sure but good, healthy food IMHO. I also do Intermittent fasting most days - skip breakfast and lunch with a few small snacks (e.g. a FEW nuts) and a big dinner with pretty much as many carbs as I want, including rice and potatoes but NOT wheat or similar grains.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. I hope primal goes well for you.

I guess diet soda is a little better than regular but ideally you should work on giving it up. I drink seltzer water flavored with lemon/lime or vanilla, and sweetened with stevia.

You don't absolutely have to eat veggies if you eat grass fed/organic/free range meat. But you can learn to like veggies. Hint: butter. MORE

I had Mexican food tonight - tacos, with organic corn tortillas. No primal for sure but good, healthy food IMHO. I also do Intermittent fasting most days - skip breakfast and lunch with a few small snacks (e.g. a FEW nuts) and a big dinner with pretty much as many carbs as I want, including rice and potatoes but NOT wheat or similar grains.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, it sounds like you are frustrated enough with the current situation to make the change. Once you do, and start getting some good results, then you will gain even more momentum. Try not to worry about the future, just take one day at a time, making better choices.

To my way of thinking, these would start with ditching the soda, all processed products, sugar, grains, and hopefully the processed oils. Start by eating meat and eggs, a little bit of any vege that you can sort-of like (lettuce, carrot, onions, tomato, cucumber - who could object to these?). I don't suppose rice or potatoes will do you any great harm for now, if you need them to fill up on - just add plenty of butter for the extra nutrition and you will be off to a good start.

There's always fruit and cream for dessert, chocolate and nuts for snacks, to keep you feeling happy.

Give it a go and see what happens, I believe things can only change for the better.

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

So you like prime rib do you... Go look at some of the breakfast/dinner picture threads we have going on in this forum. Look at the portion sizes - manly man sized! Look at the way meats are layered with the veg! There are some people here who do very well on mostly meat, too. You have the ability to experiment!

You probably don't like steamed veggies. But I agree with hedonist - half a stick of butter or a hollandaise sauce works wonders for broccoli...

Neely is offline Member
    Look upon it as an opportunity. I'm serious, an opportunity of discovering new foods that you do love, which is not junk. There's plenty of decent food out there - meats and veg that you will love. Like fries for instance? (Chips to me.) Try parsnips roasted in olive oil, lovely. And get yourself stuck into decent meats. In terms of drinks, you don't all that soda crap, diet or not, throw it all out mate. Instead drink pure water or green tea or the occasional glass of red wine. You are an ex-marine so with that amazing base level of fitness your body will be primed for losing weight, over someone sedentary, for sure, it won't take that long.

I had a large wheat belly because of my love of pizza and beer and previous to my going paleo/primal there was no way I could go even a day without a beer or pizza (often both). If someone told me that I would go three months without either, I would have called them a mad man. Now however, three months on, I have a flat belly and level of fitness/energy that I've never had in my life and the vast majority of it is from ditching crap, that and upping my exercise a little (I played tennis and cycled before but have added weights as well). I look and feel like never before and that's just in three month. There is no way that I am going back to being so/so, not a chance and I take pride in the fact that I turn down every bit of crap that most other people eat.

Anyway, if you really want to do it take my advice and kick all of that crap for good and never look back. I'd wish you luck but it is not about luck it is about having that initial iron discipline and determination and then it is just so easy from there. You'll never look back. All the best.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    I look and feel like never before and that's just in three month. There is no way that I am going back to being so/so, not a chance and I take pride in the fact that I turn down every bit of crap that most other people eat.
    Love this. Thanks Neely

Neely is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Love this. Thanks Neely
    Ha, ha, cool.