Thread: How much of an insulin response from getting 150g~ protein in 1-3 meals? page

Colibri is offline Junior Member

How much of an insulin response from getting 150g~ protein in 1-3 meals?

Primal Fuel
    Wouldn't the idea of a warrior type diet/feeding window be a bit harmful in regards to the insulin spiking with massive amounts of protein in each meal? That's not even putting a moderately high carb diet into the equation alongside it..

Would it not make more sense to spread the protein evenly throughout the day to remain in good energy levels and optimal performance, ala 4+ meals? Surely the 1-3 meals with 50g+ protein in each will create large spikes and will be damaging over time (insulin resistance?)?

Remember I'm only talking about protein and insulin, not metabolism.

For performance athletes, this is an important question. Bodybuilding and people who train for aesthetics shouldn't worry about it, since performance is not an important factor no?
    Last edited by Colibri; 10-24-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    "Strong, healthy, happy and free. Our default state, if we trust and respect nature." - Erwan Le Corre

jakey is offline Senior Member
    first of all post-prandial (after you eat) insulin spikes have no bearing on weight loss or health. second of all, an insulin spike in the absence of elevated blood sugar (i.e. from protein or dairy), should be distinguished from an insulin spike in the presence of elevated blood sugar.

but really - you're over thinking this. protein can be consumed all at once, or throughout the day, and neither would affect performance. carb timing, for performance, might be a different issue, but protein digests slowly.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
    Bodybuilding and people who train for aesthetics shouldn't worry about it, since performance is not an important factor no?
    I'm pretty sure most of the pro bodybuilders and physique athletes use performance enhancing drugs...

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    first of all post-prandial (after you eat) insulin spikes have no bearing on weight loss or health. second of all, an insulin spike in the absence of elevated blood sugar (i.e. from protein or dairy), should be distinguished from an insulin spike in the presence of elevated blood sugar.
    I really need to read up on this stuff. Why wouldn't post-prandial insulin spikes have no bearing on weight loss or health? Wouldn't the insulin spike come from the food you just ate, and in turn have an effect?
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    but really - you're over thinking this. protein can be consumed all at once, or throughout the day, and neither would affect performance. carb timing, for performance, might be a different issue, but protein digests slowly.
    True indeed. Carb timing would be the best performance enhancer I'd imagine (tried it out for a week, with carbs peri workout. What a difference), I didn't think of that. Thanks Jake!
    "Strong, healthy, happy and free. Our default state, if we trust and respect nature." - Erwan Le Corre

Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    I'm pretty sure most of the pro bodybuilders and physique athletes use performance enhancing drugs...
    I meant along the lines of, a gymnast vs a bodybuilder. A gymnast's goal is not to build muscle, rather than to achieve that planche, flip or iron cross. Performance needs to be optimal in this case. A bodybuilder focuses on performance sure, but the main goal is not to make a movement, it's for hypertrophy. Let me know if I'm explaining this horribly :P

BeatlesFan is offline Member
    Does whey protein spike insulin?

I'm sure it does BeatlesFan, but jakey's post above is interesting regarding protein and dairy insulin spikes!

BeatlesFan is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
    I'm sure it does BeatlesFan, but jakey's post above is interesting regarding protein and dairy insulin spikes!
    O ic now. Those two things are entirely unrelated. Nothing to do with each other

caroaustini is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    you're over thinking this. protein can be consumed all at once