Thread: Timing of meals

Hybrid View

Timing of meals

Hi everyone,
    Just have a quick question regarding timing of meals, particularly dinner. My boyfriend works kind of late, so we end up eating dinner at around 8:45-9:00pm Monday through Friday. I hate it, but we enjoy eating together, so we do what we have to do. I'd prefer to eat around 6:00, but I'm not always hungry, so most of the time waiting is not a problem.
    I'm just wondering if eating so late and close to bed (I try to get into bed by 10:30) is going to hinder my weight loss progress. If so, it looks like we will be eating at different times!
    Thanks for any input you provide!!
    Jen

I'm in the same boat - we eat late, sometimes as late as 10. It hasn't hurt weight loss for either of us, but if you find your losses stalling, it may be something to look at. That said, I don't believe it really matters. The only issue is that laying down so close to mealtime could cause reflux issues in those who already have it.

This is one of those things that affects people different. I personally do not sleep as well if I've eaten a full meal (dessert or something small and carb-based doesn't count for me) within 2 hours of trying to sleep. If you have trouble losing weight, try changing the schedule, but it's not something I'd look to right away.
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

It hasn't hurt weight loss for either of us

Nope, most studies have concluded that meal timing is totally irrelevant. It's all just a matter of whether your eating patterns affect your caloric intake, e.g. using IF to suppress appetite. The food/carbs before bed = fat gain thing is a myth.
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

So long as it doesn't disrupt your body at all, it shouldn't be cause for concern. I eat randomly indeed, as I only ever eat when hungry, but I sometimes have a full meal right before bed and it doesn't bother me.
    The only thing I'd question is if you are leaving your body's natural eating pattern, that may cause appetite/portion/calorie/carb control issues in people seeking to lose weight. Then again, if you keep on top of your diet: no problem.

Just eat what you feel comfortable with, when you feel comfortable with it.