Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the Ikarians live the longest on plant based- Article in NY Times page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

Why the Ikarians live the longest on plant based- Article in NY Times

Primal Fuel
    Very interesting article coming out this weekend in NYtimes about why the Ikarians of Greece live to be over 100, based on a mostly vegan diet, including real sourdough brad, local goat cheese, beans and honey. They eat meat 5 times a month maybe max and fish maybe twice a week. Most of them are close enough to vegetarian living off what is local, drinking a ton of herbal teas. I found it a very interesting read, hope you enjoy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/ma...l?ref=magazine

RenegadeRN is offline Member
    Not to nit pick- but I wouldn't call that a vegan or even "mostly vegan" diet!
    But interesting all the same. Probably no crap chemicals in their diet.
    On breaking out of the healthcare box..."Box? What box? Take cover, it's gonna get ugly... "

It was an interesting read that suggested possibilities, but clearly could not reduce longevity to a simplistic answer such as eating less meat. I liked the Taubes question of whether it wasn't so much what they did eat as what they didn't (e.g., processed foods, fast foods). I thought that social activity and physical activity (walking, gardening) were good takeaways as well. No mention of vitamin D, but plenty of sunshine.

Compare and contrast SAD with the Ikarian: meats, fish and dairy not raised with hormones, drugs, or unnatural feeds; all veggies grown locally, without herbicides and pesticides; virtually no sugar; wheat may be an ancient cultivar rather than the hybrid wheat Dr. Davis has written about; lots of fresh herbs rather than supplements; no processed or fast foods.

All of which could be primal, save the bread and legumes, but the bread is sourdough and as noted likely not commercial dwarf wheat, so it could be called a "loosely Primal" diet with less meat than most Primals eat.

Fascinating article; sad that Western dietary influences (soda, etc.) are beginning to encroach.

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRN View Post
    Not to nit pick- but I wouldn't call that a vegan or even "mostly vegan" diet!
    But interesting all the same. Probably no crap chemicals in their diet.
    They eat fish, goat, and pig. Not as much as we might enjoy, but certainly not vegetarian. Much better quality meat than most Americans eat though.

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    True, I guess after reading blue zones etc, they really stress the idea of a MOSTLY plant based diet. I would not call this very primal though, where the emphasis is on animal products throughout the day. I personally do better with less animal in my diet, so I feel that I can relate to this way of life very much.

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    True, I guess after reading blue zones etc, they really stress the idea of a MOSTLY plant based diet. I would not call this very primal though, where the emphasis is on animal products throughout the day. I personally do better with less animal in my diet, so I feel that I can relate to this way of life very much.
    I think maybe you're missing some of the flexibility of Primal. Seems to me that Primal is about a vegetable-based diet, that you can adapt to your liking with fish, meat, eggs, and sometimes dairy. My wife is pescetarian-Primal, I do the cooking, so we eat lots of veggies and more fish than most folks. I don't eat red meat 3 times a day, but I do love a good steak or lamb chop or roast. Primal is a set of guidelines, it's up to you to adapt it to your liking.

The Okinawans, e.g., eat plenty of seafood. Most blue zones (Seventh Day Adventists excepted) incorporate some fish or meat. But again, the difference between SAD and those cultures WRT meat is that the meat is raised differently and has qualitative differences, not just quantitative.

I think what's fascinating about the (rapidly dwindling) blue zones is not that there is a singular diet, or even the many things these diets share, but that there are multiple factors involved, which I think was a good thrust of this article: localized production of food, raised in traditional manner; localized culinary traditions, people cooking the food of the land in ways that are time-tested; the sense of being an active participant, and involved in a community. These ideas go hand in hand with the larger ideas Mark has suggested. While eating meat may seem to be a big focus of the Primal eaters, I think it's important to examine all lifestyle habits.

Neely is offline Member
    Good article and good ending to it, I laughed at that.

Total lack of stress has to be a factor in longevity as well I would have thought. I agree about the points regarding lack of junk in their diets. It is like a primal diet with less meat and more veg (and more wine it sounds like too).

Edit: also can I just ask what SAD is? I might be being dim but I can't work out what it refers to - other than it is connected to the western diet.
    Last edited by Neely; 10-24-2012 at 11:19 AM.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    Very interesting article coming out this weekend in NYtimes about why the Ikarians of Greece live to be over 100, based on a mostly vegan diet, including real sourdough brad, local goat cheese, beans and honey. They eat meat 5 times a month maybe max and fish maybe twice a week. Most of them are close enough to vegetarian living off what is local, drinking a ton of herbal teas. I found it a very interesting read, hope you enjoy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/ma...l?ref=magazine
    Why is this a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Why is this a thread?
    It is an interesting article, and the question of what aids in longevity is valid. IMO, blue zones share more with paleo/Primal than they do with SAD (Standard American Diet, BTW, Neely), despite the what some might conclude.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm absolutely certain that goat's cheese is superior to meat for promoting health and longevity.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast