Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why the Ikarians live the longest on plant based- Article in NY Times page 3

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Beautiful weather, physical labor, quality of life, socialization that is so common in Greek culture, fresh local food, yep, I can see how they're long-lived.
    I agree that these factors are also very important. I've yet to find anywhere more relaxing for a holiday than the Greek islands, and find the Greeks very friendly and natural people. I wish my attempts at learning Greek had been more successful!
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    If these are the same folks outlined in Blue Zones, the goats cheese they consume is called pecorino cheese. Not sure if tht is correct spelling. In any event it apparently contains significant amounts of omega 3s compared to other cheeses.

To reduce this research down to "a mostly vegan diet" is absurd. Please re-read the article and focus on the conclusions that might be out of the scope of your own lifestyle. Beyond the fact that they consume meat and dairy is that the researcher shows several areas that may increase their lifespan: active social life, napping, locally-grown foods, wine, exercise including walking hills and gardening.

Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post
    If these are the same folks outlined in Blue Zones, the goats cheese they consume is called pecorino cheese. Not sure if tht is correct spelling. In any event it apparently contains significant amounts of omega 3s compared to other cheeses.
    Pecorino is an Italian sheep's cheese. Its name means 'little sheep'. I expect that most of the goat's cheese consumed in Greece is feta, along with some local matured goats cheeses not dissimilar to pecorino.

That's interesting what you say about the omega 3 content - I expect that's due to the goats being pasture-fed.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Another interesting thing about the population mentioned in the article is that in the 40's the Greek gov't exiled thousands of communists and radicals to the island. Philosophically they maybe quite different from those on near by islands.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Fish twice a week is actually quite a lot of meat, so I wouldn't call it vegetarian/vegan. I approve of fish twice a week.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    So they eat meat several times a month, consume fish on a weekly basis, and they also regularly eat dairy? Tell a vegan that this is close to a vegan diet and they'll start foaming at the mouth and spilling their carrot sticks all over the floor. It is interesting though, and I assume it's the food quality, their lifestyle, and genetic factors that allow them to live so long.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

camel is offline Senior Member
    I've read that greek mountain herb teas are ridiculously healthy - there's published pubmed studies on greek mountain teas health benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I've read that greek mountain herb teas are ridiculously healthy - there's published pubmed studies on greek mountain teas health benefits.
    It's my understanding that the Greeks eat an abundance of fresh herbs in general.

I brought back one of those fabled teas from Crete a few years ago - it contained several flowers as well as herbs and I found it delicious and very energising.

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    It's my understanding that the Greeks eat an abundance of fresh herbs in general.

I brought back one of those fabled teas from Crete a few years ago - it contained several flowers as well as herbs and I found it delicious and very energising.
    Anyone know where to get the herbs online? Or can they only be found at the source?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast