Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the Ikarians live the longest on plant based- Article in NY Times page 2

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Diet seems to be a very small part of why these people live longer. Their life style is radically different from ours, it's much more communal and slower paced. When they eat, they eat together and conversation is a big part of the meal. They also nap and dance. When they drink coffee they aren't getting a to go cup at Starbucks and drinking it while they're driving. Same thing with the wine they drink; they are sharing a glass with friends, drinking slowly and talking. They live lives that are intricately connected with others. Even if they didn't live longer I'd say they have a higher quality of life than most Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I'm absolutely certain that goat's cheese is superior to meat for promoting health and longevity.
    I'm curious to know why you think so? BTW, I love goat cheese and have some almost every week. I'm fairly well addicted to the stuff.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I'm curious to know why you think so? BTW, I love goat cheese and have some almost every week. I'm fairly well addicted to the stuff.
    It's very rich in electrolytes and vitamins, but doesn't contain excessive amounts of iron, plus it strongly promotes muscle gain. I average about 150 g a day.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Beautiful weather, physical labor, quality of life, socialization that is so common in Greek culture, fresh local food, yep, I can see how they're long-lived.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    It's very rich in electrolytes and vitamins, but doesn't contain excessive amounts of iron, plus it strongly promotes muscle gain. I average about 150 g a day.
    What if you are intolerant to dairy? Electrolytes are found in most foods, don't know whats special about goats cheese. Cheese is generally good for vitamins/minerals, better than meat in some cases. I don't think meat contains excessive iron and what is this about muscle gain?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm absolutely certain that goat's cheese is superior to meat for promoting health and longevity.
    It certainly makes life worth living anyway.

If they really do eat meat 5 days a month and fish twice a week that's 13 days a month that have flesh food. The rest of the time they are consuming dairy products. I will bet that they don't throw out any of the pig that they slaughter and therefore are likely consuming its fat most days or using its fat, bones and feet to flavor and thicken foods. So it's likely at meals where a portion of meat is not visible on the plate, there is animal product on the plate. I wouldn't say these people are either vegetarian or vegan and I'd say that this is a perfectly Primal way of eating that you could emulate if you would like to.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Edit: also can I just ask what SAD is? I might be being dim but I can't work out what it refers to - other than it is connected to the western diet.
    SAD stands for Standard American Diet. It's a combination of the government-approved food pyramid and junk food.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Also, if you read the whole thing, you'll find that in the surrounding islands with virtually identical diets, they do NOT get the same longevity bonus.

Diet, genetics, sunlight, lifestyle...there are so many factors at work here.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    An interesting read, lots of clean food and health fats and dairy (even though the writer say dairy is bad) and a good relaxed lifestyle BUT NOT vegan/vegetarian by a long shot.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It certainly makes life worth living anyway.

If they really do eat meat 5 days a month and fish twice a week that's 13 days a month that have flesh food. The rest of the time they are consuming dairy products. I will bet that they don't throw out any of the pig that they slaughter and therefore are likely consuming its fat most days or using its fat, bones and feet to flavor and thicken foods. So it's likely at meals where a portion of meat is not visible on the plate, there is animal product on the plate. I wouldn't say these people are either vegetarian or vegan and I'd say that this is a perfectly Primal way of eating that you could emulate if you would like to.
    +1

I am sure that using the fat, bones and feet from pigs to flavour and thicken foods as you say is very beneficial. They will also do the same with fish heads when cooking fish stews and soups, etc. Thus, in addition to eating whole animals such as calamari, mussels and prawns, they are obtaining superior whole-animal nutrition from other sources.

I expect that their egg consumption is relatively high too.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast