Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any thoughts on almond cheese page 2

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Misti View Post
    Wait! You found a use for the almond meal leftover from making almond milk? Does it work with coconut meal leftover from making coconut milk?
    Not sure. Although, you know how fine it is after making the milk, couldn't you just dry it and use it again as a 'breading' say like for shrimp or something? I've also dried the almond meal in my dehydrator and used it to top salads, yogurt, etc..

If you find a tasty way to repurpose the coconut meal, let me know cuz as of now, I'm feeding that to the chickens too. I did think about putting it in some primal ice cream recipe but then thought that I wouldn't like the texture. I suppose it could be used for coconut shrimp

@lex is offline Senior Member
    I'd much rather eat real cheese from a pastured animal. Something about "cheese" made from nuts bothers me, much in the same way that nut "flour" bugs me.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    It might be a good way to re purpose left over almond meal but I don't think it should be called cheese.

Misti is offline Member
    Yeah, it's very fine -- and we use a little of it in cooking, but I'm hard pressed to use two cups a week, and we have no chickens.
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I have no opinion either way, but every time I see the title of this thread, my brain conjures teeny tiny people trying to find the udders on the almonds they're going to milk for the cheese.

phitone is offline Junior Member
    Well thanks all for the input and as advised unless I feel like making it myself I will stay away. One question though. Why all the hate for almond butter and almond flour? They are mentioned in so many recipes but it seems as though a few of you are not fans.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I think it's about the fail of some of the nut butters and flours. Sometimes when people first start Primal for weight loss reasons, they eat a bit too much of the foods that should be eaten in moderation. Then they think that Primal failed them, when in fact their interpretation of the 80/20 thing or even their interpretation of the various pyramids failed them.

Also, technically, they are both processed foods. Nut butters are better than peanut (not a nut) butter, but they are not better than eating whole nuts. It's way too easy to stick a spoon in the jar and wake up with an empty jar and nut breath. (That sounded worse than I meant it to.) Non-wheat flour is better than wheat flour, but it is still processed, and calorie for calorie will never be as good a food as animals, plants, and bugs in as natural a state as possible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12