Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close

Thread: Protein requirements

Threaded View

Protein requirements

I am a 53 year old woman and am 5'3. For some reason people think that is short

Things seem to be going fine, but I am struggling with knowing how much protein I should target. I've read some things that appears to indicate that women's protein needs are different than what men need at similar activity levels and I have succeeded in confusing myself.

I have 3 high-intensity 1-hour group training sessions a week (looks a lot like Crossfit), and also cycle and mountain bike when the weather and my body permits. As the season changes I am starting to put a lot more focus in building upper body strength as my riding decreases and am working with my group trainer on an individual basis once a week to start that process.

Regarding my actual workouts - on the leg-press I am up to 360 for 6 reps. Upper body is very different, but that is my focus this winter. I need to build strength and flexibility and I know I need to fuel my body properly or this won't happen. We are doing a lot of compound work such as squats, deadlifts, hang cleans, etc.

Right now my protein targets are 90-110 grams (26%), carbs range between 40-80 depending on the day (9-18%) most days are closer to 55-60, and of course the rest is fat. I've wondered about the carbs, but I feel fine at that level. No afternoon sleepiness, etc. I feel fine when exercising, though I DO eat breakfast before our very intense 6am hour-long sessions.

Does this sound like reasonable targets for someone with my activity level and goals? I've enough problems getting the calories my body needs and I want to make certain that I am not defeating sabotaging my hard work by not giving my body the fuel it requires.
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-24-2012 at 12:42 PM.